Voltage issues in power supply/Inverters

sidvee

I will be moving to Pune from Detroit in June. As part of the move I did some house/apartment searches last week when I visited Pune. One thing I noticed during my search that Landlords were offering to provide inverters for power outage situations. I have a few questions regarding this:
1. Does the inverter kick in automatically when the main power supply cuts off?
2. If this is the case, when it kicks in is there a voltage sag/surge?
3. Does this then necessiate the use of voltage stabilizers in an audio system?
4. What are the good audiophile stabilizers or at-least designed for audio applications - brands & prices? Are they available in various wattages?
5. Finally does the stabilizer address brownout situations when the voltage drops significantly below 220 volts.

Your advice will be invaluable as my components are quite sensitive to voltage fluctuations.
Thx.
Sid

Hi! Sid,

Here in Bangalore as well as most parts of India the power situation is horrible. I would strongly suggest that you get yourself a Vertex Servo Stabilizer and also get your self a APC 2000 XRT series on-line UPS, which is great for music as well as to protect your system. The UPS gives you enough time to switch off the system when the power goes.

There are a few audiophile power conditioners available in India as well as isolation transformers.

I personally use a 2kva Vertex Servo Stabilizer (souped up to audiophile standards) & also a Finesse 3kva isolation transformer/power conditioner.

Rgds

Prithvi

Thanks Prithvi - are there dealers in Pune for these stabilizers? Also is there a web site. Pl. let me know also about the UPS.
Regards,
Sid

Hi Prithvi, i would like to know where these Vertex Servo Stabilizers are sold,
is it very expensive? What is your opinion on V guard Digital Stabilizers,
are they good for our sensitive components?

Regards,
Anil.

Hi! Sid,

I think they do have a dealer in Pune. by this evening will give you the info. As for the UPS, you can contact the local APC office in Pune itself. Again will get info for you by the evening.

Rgds

Prithvi

Hi! Anil,

I strongly recommend the Vertex, have been using them for all my client installs for over 4-5 years without a single hiccup plus their service is excellent.

They were the only guys who beefed up the stabilizer to my audiophile requirements, like thicker cables, better terminals, double stage filteration, etc, etc.

Their range starts from 2kva, i think its about 10K for one. You can contact Mr. Manjunath on : 9886081610, do mention Absolute Phase/Prithvi otherwise they may give you the ordinary version of the 2kva. You need to specify that you require the stabilizer for the a/v system. Place our order directly with them.

Rgds

Prithvi

Hi,
You have mentioned multiple things... Stabilizer, isolation transformer/power conditioner & UPS... whats required to ensure that my expensive equipment does not get fried? What kind of budget are we talking about?

Are the equipment from manufacturers like Denon etc able to handle the fluctuations here... atleast not get fried and turn into a brick?

Regards,
-Kuch

Hi! Sid,

Here in Bangalore as well as most parts of India the power situation is horrible. I would strongly suggest that you get yourself a Vertex Servo Stabilizer and also get your self a APC 2000 XRT series on-line UPS, which is great for music as well as to protect your system. The UPS gives you enough time to switch off the system when the power goes.

There are a few audiophile power conditioners available in India as well as isolation transformers.

I personally use a 2kva Vertex Servo Stabilizer (souped up to audiophile standards) & also a Finesse 3kva isolation transformer/power conditioner.

Rgds

Prithvi

Hi Prithvi can you pls tell me the price for VERTEX 2kVa power conditioner ?
Tks RB9 ([email protected])

Hello everyone, can you pls advice the price for VERTEX 2kVa power conditioner?
many tks RB9

Hi,
i have used Online UPS but it is only good for constant voltage and protection of your equipment in case of power failure or fluctuations. But it is not so good for SOUND QUALITY.
A servo should be a better choice.

APC is making some very good line conditioner and voltage stabilisers for HIGH END AUDIO. But these products are sold in USA only for 110 volts.
I did enquire from APC USA but they said they are not selling outside USA as yet.
Normal online UPS may not give good sound. Better buy a Servo till you have APC products in India. APC is already there in India for long time but their product range is not meant for high end audio. You can check Stereophile or TAS for their advertisement about Line conditioner and voltage stabilisers
SKR

@ Prithvi /Anil
In one of the posts you have mentioned that the vertex stabilizer is customized to audiophile standards. Can you tell me what are the extra features added to the normal servo stabilizer? I am finding ~2k difference between the Krykard and Vertex servo stabilizer in bangalore (both are having EMI/RFI and surge protection). Could you plz tell me whats the difference in these two stabilizers or what are the features that are not in krykard? what is double filtering (is it not in krykard)?

I have just picked up a Vertex 2KVA Servo Stabiliser souped up to audiophile standards - this apparently has thicker cables, better terminals, double stage filteration, EMI/RFI protection etc, etc. Its costed me 11,503/- inclusive of all taxes.

The picture on my Panny 80D has to be seen to be believed! The colour, Contrast, and the Black levels have all seen dramatic improvement. The SD signals (Tata Sky) seems to have 'firmed-up' and become more solid! DVD signals upconverted to 720p and passed thru a HDMI cable is purely brilliant!

I am completely satisfied and recommend this wholeheartedly - get yourself the best possible servo - it makes a HUGE difference! (Be careful - I'm told there are a lot of cheap ones out there)

I have a Panny which pulls 350 W at full power (120-160 typical usage), an AVR which pulls 500 W , A DVD player that pulls say 10W, and am going to add a sub which will need 300W . So this is a total draw of 1160W IF everything is running at full power . Guess a 2KVA is enough for this?

Last edited:
Be careful when using a UPS or an inverter with some of the audio equipment.

My subwoofer warranty card states that the warranty is void if operated on an inverter:(.

This may be because of the class D amplification.

i have been advised a CVT over a servo stab. or a UPS, for audio apps.

a UPS is fine for computers, where a shut down time window is essential to avoid loss of data.

a servo stab. is typically for household appliances, to avoid/address fluctuations, where power cuts don't matter (no data).

Back