Volume Control for Speaker system

skamalpreet

Folks,
I have the following set up. Questions come later

Videocon 32" inch TV (likely to be upgraded in the near future)
Sony DVD player with Upscaling to 1080p (also plays basic movie formats via USB)
Sonodyne Genie Power Pack 2.1 setup

the DVD player is connected via HDMI to TV for video to utilize upscaling capability
the DVD player is connected to the speakers via L/R analog audio cables

The other HDMI port of the TV connects to the laptop for Video
The Laptop connects to the speakers via analog cable via the headphone jack

The TV analog audio L/R out are also connected to the speakers

All L/R analog audio cables from TV, DVD and Laptop concentrate at a Audio Hub before input into the speaker system.

I have a major problem at hand.. I do not have remote functionality to control volume output of my speaker systems. The net result is I have to jump up from my couch everytime there is action packed scene or if people are conversing in low tones. At this age(mum's the word) :( , not sure how much longer I can continue doing this.

I thought of investing in an AV receiver but that calls for Rs. 20000/- which might require me to win a state lottery, at least in the short term.

Is there any other cheaper option which I can exercise which will give me remote control of the volume output of my Sonodyne Power pack speakers.

Dont you have volume control in your DVD player ?

If not then get a Media Player. It'll play all your files from the USB or Hard Disk and it does have Volume Control :).. it'll cost you around 2.5 - 3.5K for which i guess u dont need to win any lottery.. :D

Cheers..!!

Dont you have volume control in your DVD player ?

If not then get a Media Player. It'll play all your files from the USB or Hard Disk and it does have Volume Control :).. it'll cost you around 2.5 - 3.5K for which i guess u dont need to win any lottery.. :D

Cheers..!!

Thanks...I was thinking on the same lines or was planning to upgrade to an entry level BD player like the LGBD550 which will take care of media playing capabilties and at the same time give me volume control on the BD player.

Unfortunately the SONY DVD PLayer does not have volume control :(

Thanks mate....but office load and the boss (read 'wife') might now allow enough spare time :(
pls i willnot get the individual components close by...the nearest electronics market is miles away

If your TV has variable audio out (most of the LCDs have), route audio from all your sources to the TV and output it to your speaker system. Now, you can control your speaker volume with the TV volume. Check the back of your TV (or the TV manual) to see if it has the variable audio output.

Regds / Shailender

If your TV has variable audio out (most of the LCDs have), route audio from all your sources to the TV and output it to your speaker system. Now, you can control your speaker volume with the TV volume. Check the back of your TV (or the TV manual) to see if it has the variable audio output.

Regds / Shailender

Yes, you should do it this way. Instead of connecting to a passive Audio Hub, connect to the TV and take the TV's output to Sonodyne.

This way, you do not need to manually switch between the sources and using the TV remote, you can switch sources and control their volume. Only caveat will be you can not run these components independently or keep the TV switched off like when you want to play music on your DVD player.

Regds / Shailender

That sounded logical and i wondered for a while why I did not think of this before and later realized that the television does not allow variable audio out. The Audio out from the TV is not connected to the audio amplifier of the TV. Too bad...so Sad...tough luck...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back