Volume issues using Iphone SE/Iphone 4/Ipod Classic when connected to an AVR through a RCA

Sandesh

Hi guys,

As my title suggests, Ive been having very low volumes using Iphone SE (old)/Iphone 4/Ipod Classic as source player for my digital files and Spotify streaming even when I turn it up to 45-50 (Max vol on my avr is 65). Ive tried everything from going into my music settings on my Iphone equalize settings and choosing "Late Night", to disabling normalisation on spotify. I am currently not using a DAC (besides my AVR), could that be the reason? However everything sounds perfect when I use spotify through my TV using an optical cable. Is it due to my current set up? Any help in solving this problem would be helpful

Current set up
*Pioneer BS22 bookshelf speaker designed by Andrew Jones (85 W @6 ohms)
* Onkyo TXDS676 AVR (110W @6- 85W @8 ohms)

Hey hi,

What's the volume on the source device? Hope it's maxed out in both the phone and the app. AVR remains the only volume controller.

Does your receiver have a usb in front for portable devices? Your phone's charging cable should do it. How did this connection sound?

MaSh

Hey hi,

What's the volume on the source device? Hope it's maxed out in both the phone and the app. AVR remains the only volume controller.

Does your receiver have a usb in front for portable devices? Your phone's charging cable should do it. How did this connection sound?

MaSh
Hi @MaSh Im using an old Onkyo TXDS676 AVR and I’m using a 3.5mm pin to rca wire that connects my source iPhone/iPod into the avr. Unfortunately my system doesn’t have a USB port as its an old one. Do let me know what can be done. Cheers!

Hi @MaSh Im using an old Onkyo TXDS676 AVR and I’m using a 3.5mm pin to rca wire that connects my source iPhone/iPod into the avr. Unfortunately my system doesn’t have a USB port as its an old one. Do let me know what can be done. Cheers!
Yes so it's the dac in your iPhone or iPod working. Keep the volume max on these devices and use just the volume on avr. There is nothing else you can do.

MaSh

Hi guys,

As my title suggests, Ive been having very low volumes using Iphone SE (old)/Iphone 4/Ipod Classic as source player for my digital files and Spotify streaming even when I turn it up to 45-50 (Max vol on my avr is 65). Ive tried everything from going into my music settings on my Iphone equalize settings and choosing "Late Night", to disabling normalisation on spotify. I am currently not using a DAC (besides my AVR), could that be the reason? However everything sounds perfect when I use spotify through my TV using an optical cable. Is it due to my current set up? Any help in solving this problem would be helpful

Current set up
*Pioneer BS22 bookshelf speaker designed by Andrew Jones (85 W @6 ohms)
* Onkyo TXDS676 AVR (110W @6- 85W @8 ohms)

There is a app called volume+ in the apple store. It can boost the volume to a 1000%. I am not sure if the app is free or paid or given the complex eco system of apple, if it is reverse compatible with your iphone/ipod.

Good luck

There is a app called volume+ in the apple store. It can boost the volume to a 1000%. I am not sure if the app is free or paid or given the complex eco system of apple, if it is reverse compatible with your iphone/ipod.

Good luck
@kbhuvi cant seem to find the app. Can you tell me what the exact name is?

@kbhuvi cant seem to find the app. Can you tell me what the exact name is?

Volume +
This is the name of the app

There is another one
Equalizer +

If you cannot find them in your app store, it means the apps are not compatible with your phone being older generation. The app store only shows apps that are compatible with your phone

Actually these media players are designed to use with Heaphones. Hence 3.5mm jack output may not have a perfect voltage out which AVR need.So result can be low sound output.Adding app to boost volume can add noise to signal.Adding a preamp with some gain may help.

Actually these media players are designed to use with Heaphones. Hence 3.5mm jack output may not have a perfect voltage out which AVR need.So result can be low sound output.Adding app to boost volume can add noise to signal.Adding a preamp with some gain may help.
@spirovirus - I am acquiring a new pre-amp soon!

Some preamps have an aux input.
Typically this input boosts the signal up before further processing.
So your issue may be solved with a preamp.
Cheers,
Raghu

The volume limitation is because of RCA connection. I also tried the same with my ipad sometimes back with RCA connection. It was not sounding right. It was playing with very low volume + sounded muff. Then I played the same content with my HTPC connected via SPDIF output , it was sounding great.

If you have blue tooth connectivity to your AVR you may use as alternative ( bluetooth also looses sound quality , it coverts to lower bitrate - at-least it would have better volume ). Wifi streaming would be better.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back