VU 4K UHD Television - Installed

Hari Iyer

Yesterday indulged in the much hyped and discussed 4K UHD Television and selected VU over the competitors. My selection criteria were,

1. Panel quality and overall life.
2. Display resolution and quality.
3. PQ, gray scale, colour purity, saturation, black level and contrast.
4. SQ, features and supporting formats.
5. HD compatability, upscaling features.
6. Smart features, soft ware upgrades and future proofing.
7. Accessability through wifi, browsing and social media.
8. Medial connectivity
9. AV inputs and other interface connectivity.
10. Pricing vis-a-vis competiors and overall Value for Money and Total Cost of Ownership.

I easily could filter out Samsung & LG as the point no.10 was very very poor in both the models not to mention features.

Only the Sony 55" 4K UHD could somewhat compete with the VU 4K UHD but failed in black level and contrast. Also the display panel was too very bright make it uncomfortable to watch for long hours. Also it was a cool 40K expensive to buy than the VU TV.

After may permutations / combinations / iterations finally decided to buy the VU 55" 4K UHD and it was installed yesterday evening. I noticed that in the current versions the component i/p is not a RCA type but a EP type connector which put me off. But it saves lots of space in the back panel.

I am currently feeding SD 576i signal to the AV input and find the resolution and PQ amazingly great. I am not sure if there is any upscaling happening internally but i dont care as i am already enjoying what i am seeing.

I may download some 4k UHD content today and my hook the TV to a usb port to check 4k content.
Yesterday also played some youtube video with 4K uhd content but was not able to adjust the colours and other controls. It was still looking amazingly brilliant.

Will explore more on this TV in the coming week and will update accordingly. FMs who wish to discover along with me are welcome on the weekend.

Cheers,:)

Congrats, Great choice... :clapping: Please share some pics with 4K Video & SD content...

Try to get extended warranty for 2 yrs, this will save you juz incase something unfortunate happens with the display....

Yesterday indulged in the much hyped and discussed 4K UHD Television and selected VU over the competitors. My selection criteria were,

1. Panel quality and overall life.
2. Display resolution and quality.
3. PQ, gray scale, colour purity, saturation, black level and contrast.
4. SQ, features and supporting formats.
5. HD compatability, upscaling features.
6. Smart features, soft ware upgrades and future proofing.
7. Accessability through wifi, browsing and social media.
8. Medial connectivity
9. AV inputs and other interface connectivity.
10. Pricing vis-a-vis competiors and overall Value for Money and Total Cost of Ownership.

I easily could filter out Samsung & LG as the point no.10 was very very poor in both the models not to mention features.

Only the Sony 55" 4K UHD could somewhat compete with the VU 4K UHD but failed in black level and contrast. Also the display panel was too very bright make it uncomfortable to watch for long hours. Also it was a cool 40K expensive to buy than the VU TV.

After may permutations / combinations / iterations finally decided to buy the VU 55" 4K UHD and it was installed yesterday evening. I noticed that in the current versions the component i/p is not a RCA type but a EP type connector which put me off. But it saves lots of space in the back panel.

I am currently feeding SD 576i signal to the AV input and find the resolution and PQ amazingly great. I am not sure if there is any upscaling happening internally but i dont care as i am already enjoying what i am seeing.

I may download some 4k UHD content today and my hook the TV to a usb port to check 4k content.
Yesterday also played some youtube video with 4K uhd content but was not able to adjust the colours and other controls. It was still looking amazingly brilliant.

Will explore more on this TV in the coming week and will update accordingly. FMs who wish to discover along with me are welcome on the weekend.

Cheers,:)
What is price of the VU 4K tv?
Can you post some pictures how the tv is doing?
Does the tv supports resolutions of 2160p at 60fps?
Congrates and enjoy your new machine.:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Congrats for the latest av addition. Hope you will enjoy for years.
Have you purchased online / store? I am sure you must have considered both options & chose.

Congrats for the latest av addition. Hope you will enjoy for years.
Have you purchased online / store? I am sure you must have considered both options & chose.

Thanks. Standard LCD/LED life span is around 7 to 8 yrs. I will be glad if it comes around 10 to 12 years.

Considered both online & stores. Flipkart was 20% more than store and Snapdeal was 3% less than store. Finally decided on the store as did not want to risk with online for just 3% more as there were some complaints about snapdeal off late.

But the service technician told me that even if you buy from snapdeal the product is directly shipped from VU. Also you can buy it from VU sales team directly by calling their office at a very good price (FM should consider this option if narrowed to VU as this may not be available with the likes of Sony & Samsung further bring down the price).

Extended warranty for the TV inclusive of Panel is for 1+ 2 years and is 10% of the invoice cost. Need FMs advice on this if its a good deal or should i be asking for more discount.

Congrats Hari. Did you get a "Preview" of the TV ? My friend who is in Pune, is also in the market for a 55+ Size TV, was informed by VU that there is no option but to buy it "Blind". Look forward to your UHD test review.

Hari,
Is it really worth buying a 4K UHD TV? Are you going in for an UHD box from Tata Sky? There is still not a lot of 4K material around. On the other hand does it upscale HD to UHD and make a difference to it?

Pricing vis-a-vis competiors and overall Value for Money and Total Cost of Ownership.??

Total cost of ownership is decided over a period
I have never heard any good or bad story about their service as they have extremely limited availability
Are they offering extended warentee?
Where are service centers ?
What is the panel ? Electronics ?Is that reliable ?
So how you formed conclusions on Panel quality and overall life ?

Honestly this brand was turned down for me as this was the company which lied in first phase ( they used to call themselves Vu from California) whereas it is company started by Zenith ( an Indian PC manufacturer) ,by procuring chinese componants ...

SO what data you considered for Panel life , and TCO?

Congratulation! :clapping:

Definitely now it's time to compliment VU with a decent Blu-ray player with some great Av quality movies. :D

I have VU.
I had purchased after comparing with Sony. I have always remain Sony loyalist.

I'm having VU since last 8 months. Performance is good.

It just does not make sense to spend 2.5 lakh.

Which ever is a make there is absolutely no assurance it will last like old CRT TV. So what we can secure is 3 years ( taking additional 2 year warranty ).

If you really need better TV then vu check LG OLED one. Absolutely stunning but it is not 4K & price 3.5 lakh Approx.

You decide.

^ Completely agree with the above poster, infact my Sony LCD panel went defective after 3-4 yrs, no guarantee of panel quality there as well. I traded this Sony panel to get a 55" VU and I do not regret my decision as of now.

Service is provided by Zenith Engineers I guess.

Hari,
Is it really worth buying a 4K UHD TV? Are you going in for an UHD box from Tata Sky? There is still not a lot of 4K material around. On the other hand does it upscale HD to UHD and make a difference to it?

4k UHD content may be available after some time in blue-ray and 3d players in a year or two. Cable transmission will still be a challenge due to bandwidth and download isssuess. This TV will be compatiable with both the content. Yet to get any feedback about Tata SKY as i am not sure if its real 4K UHD or upscaled material.

As claimed by VU it does upscale Full HD to UHD but i am yet to test it.

I have currently connected a SD composite video to AV inputs and it display 576i. I am not sure if its an upscaled content but the images are brilliant and i am enjoying what i am seeing.

Just like standard definition TV gave way to HD television in the past 5 years, the current full HD will give way the 4K UHD television in the coming years and its always better to be future proof at the time of buying and not be outdated. The full HD is already in the mature state of the product life cycle and have begun to decline from this year onwards.

The inception of 4k UHD TV started somewhere last year in India and is currently in the growth phase, it will be mature some where 3 to 5 years down the line when 4K UHD will give way to 8K UHD.

I am not in a hurry to check full HD content and any upscaling. I did watch 4k UHD videos in Youtube and it looks amazingly brilliant in VU.

Congrats Hari. Did you get a "Preview" of the TV ? My friend who is in Pune, is also in the market for a 55+ Size TV, was informed by VU that there is no option but to buy it "Blind". Look forward to your UHD test review.

Yes, i did get a preview at Kohinoor Televideo but the guys were very annoying. They wanted to sell me the Samsung 4k UHD for 1.71L (later reduced the price to 1.45L), then wanted to sell the Sony 4k UHD for 1.39L. They told me that they have misplaced the remote of the VU TV and they will have to search for it. But as i was having plenty of time with me, i told them that i am okay to wait. After realizing that i may not buy both of them unless i had a look at VU then they turned on VU.

You may really have to be pushy if you would like a preview, else you may not get it with Kohinoor.

I have VU.
I had purchased after comparing with Sony. I have always remain Sony loyalist.

I'm having VU since last 8 months. Performance is good.

It just does not make sense to spend 2.5 lakh.

Which ever is a make there is absolutely no assurance it will last like old CRT TV. So what we can secure is 3 years ( taking additional 2 year warranty ).

If you really need better TV then vu check LG OLED one. Absolutely stunning but it is not 4K & price 3.5 lakh Approx.

You decide.

I compared the VU with both Sony and Samsung though they were at very different price points. Samsung was out easily due to poor motion artifact and blurry images.

Sony panel was too bright and hurted my eyes due to very bright and unnatural contrast. Checked with the sales guy and he told me that its due to Bravia engine and it adjust automatically. I told him to turn it off and he told me that its the feature of the TV. I could not control laughing and filtered that one too.

I reviewed the LG OLED but it was no way within my budget. Yes it definitely is future proof as the panel is OLED where the technology is moving to the next generation. The images were great and the black level excellent.

Last edited:
Pricing vis-a-vis competiors and overall Value for Money and Total Cost of Ownership.??

Total cost of ownership is decided over a period
I have never heard any good or bad story about their service as they have extremely limited availability
Are they offering extended warentee?
Where are service centers ?
What is the panel ? Electronics ?Is that reliable ?
So how you formed conclusions on Panel quality and overall life ?

Honestly this brand was turned down for me as this was the company which lied in first phase ( they used to call themselves Vu from California) whereas it is company started by Zenith ( an Indian PC manufacturer) ,by procuring chinese componants ...

SO what data you considered for Panel life , and TCO?

@ Hemant
I will not be able to answer most of the questions now as it will be just speculations which i will like to avoid for the moment. I may be able to answer them maybe after an year or two.

Extended warranty is offered for the TV @ 10% of the invoice cost its for 1 + 2 years on the entire TV. Please let me know if its a good deal and should i go for it.

If its an Indian manufacturer then i am even more happier that i purchased an 'Made in India' product where they assemble this TV at their Goa Plant. I have been informed that the plastics are from China, the Panels are from Korea / Japan and the circuits come from US. The TV is assembled at Goa. Again i have yet to validate this. I was aware that VU is from Zenith computers before i purchased and have seen their office at MIDC @ Andheri, Mumbai.

I think i have the source of this TV now from China - check out this link http://global.hisense.com/product/europe/tv/LED/K610/201401/t20140116_86781.htm

Suprsingly the 55" 4k UHD also has an award check out http://global.hisense.com/about/awar/2012/201306/t20130607_76330.html

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/hisense-xt780-3d-smart-tv-google-tv/

Last edited:
Yesterday I installed the composite video to VGA converter and up-scaled the video images to a resolution of 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz. The images are amazingly brilliant and are Razor sharp with all colour, brightness, contrast adjusted to precision.

I dont think i will now buy the full HD set-top box as anyway my images are ful HD with composite video input. I dont think the set-top box will anyway upscale further but i am again not sure. Now i will try to connect a VGA to component cable and check out what resolution is available with component video.

Here is the images of the converter which is available for purchase at eBay.

2uh8f0p.jpg

Hi Hari, can you comment on the sound quality and output. A cousin has the 32 inch with A+ panel. The sound is absolutely horrible on that model and the picture is not natural. Infact the picture quality was so bad, i outright asked him to call the tech guy and get the tv checked assuming he received a lemon.
Would like to know your personal take on the sound output on the 55 inch?

Hi Hari, can you comment on the sound quality and output. A cousin has the 32 inch with A+ panel. The sound is absolutely horrible on that model and the picture is not natural. Infact the picture quality was so bad, i outright asked him to call the tech guy and get the tv checked assuming he received a lemon.
Would like to know your personal take on the sound output on the 55 inch?

Sound quality is very acceptable comparing to what other LCD / LED TVs are offering. It has a decent 10W + 10W power output which is good enough for a room space of around 200 sq.ft with moderate furniture. It features PCM & Dolby Digital SPDIF output to be connected with AV Receivers. Has an headphone output. Does not have any analogue audio output (but you can connect this directly from your set-top box though). Also has a 5 level graphic equalizer to adjust lows, mids and highs as per your taste.

I may plan to connect my micro-TL speaker to this TV to check out if it adds value but will require a mini amp to power this. Always wonder why TVs do not give a speaker output along with the headphone output. Its a matter of just bypassing the attenuator resistor and giving a terminal. This can save people from buying a small amplifier like topping. I do not wish to use my tubes for the TV as i do not intend to reduce the life of my tubes earlier.:)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back