VU 55 Iconium 4k Android Review

... and I thought there would be a review .... :rolleyes: ... anyway congratts looking forward for a review ....

Yes,I thought that this thread would be a Review.
Congrats and do write review later.

Hello Friend, so the story begins by looking out for a new TV . Each time when the requirements for the TV are filled in, it turns out different and that makes the whole game interesting.

As usual, I was called in for the expert advice for buying a new TV. Please note that the last Tv which was present in their home was some 5 years back and only recently the 14 inch Government TV was occupying the TV stand.

The requirement was filled in with Serials and DTH being the main viewing content and HD Rips through external Hard disk.Initially the budget was fixed around 45 K and later increased up to One lakhs if I recommend. So the journey of visiting various showrooms started. Seriously, this was very hard on me because they were open to any suggestion for the TVs and I cannot just recommend what I like. Side by side comparisons were made with LG, Sony , Samsung and Micromax.

The side by Side Test turned out to be dud in the showroom after I changed all the testing. Colours were toned down and brightness was reduced and colour changed to warm if available. No major changes were visible to them and they were nearly ok with any TV, right from the cheapest one.

After having egg on the face in the initial test, couple of over head lights were switched off after some serious request from my end and now came the actual difference of the colour contract and blacks. VA panels as usual shone here over the IPS ones, but according to the extended family, they were ok with any of the TV right from Micromax staring at 31 k for 49 Inches.

So all set to buy micromax and since no contender was there around in the same price, I started calling VU and asked them for displays in Chennai to test and evaluate. After a month's wait, we got a call last week that VU display Tvs are available, but the basic 50 inch TV was not available and only the 4K Android 55 Inch Tv was available.

After having zeroed in on Micromax 49 inch basic TV and not the 4K micromax android ( was having serious upscaling issues when tested),I was very skeptical for a 4K tv as it needs four times upscaling to produce good pictures that a normal H.D tv. The Light output was bright for a showroom, menu was a little laggy, but it read the 1TB hard disk pretty soon and we started playing up my test Videos.

Mind you, I nearly got a head ache with all these 50 Hz TVs, but..... but... the audience to whom I was playing was blown away.

To be honest, my only gripe was that the TV was 50 HZ and not 100HZ, and this comes out during the motion and panning scenes. Full HD masala songs were good, English and Tamil HD Movies were Good, and 720 P was also good. They offered a free sound bar with the TV and that just sealed it.

Please note that I did not change any settings in the TV and was tested during night with not much light. Except for motion issues, I didn't find any big issues for that size and the price.

Compromise was made due the size offered at the price and payment was done in Chennai.

Actual review will come out after delivery and installation of the TV with full calibration if the menu offers it.

P.S: excuse the typos.

Last edited:
... and I thought there would be a review .... :rolleyes: ... anyway congratts looking forward for a review ....

Yes,I thought that this thread would be a Review.
Congrats and do write review later.

:p:p:p

Sorry guys, Had clicked post button and was not able to edit it. The Delivery is yet to happen and the installation will take nearly one week time post delivery. So please wait for the detailed review. My initial reviews are given above.

The Detailed review will be split up for Experts and for new Tv buyers. New buyers and non experts will not regret buying this TV because of the real estate it offers . But for experts, this will not fit the bill if they don't like huge compromises.

The another Tv which I tested was a 55 inch Full HD Phillips for 68 K.

Last edited:
So nice to know that atleast VU has display facility for its models, pls hare where is it at chennai and what is the price you paid during booking with free sound bar??
At website its @ 63K with sometimes 6 % coupon and no review of the model so far on net...
By the way how was Phililps black level during your testing, I think its VA panel and not IPS...
VU is using VA panel or IPS and how does the black level compare with philips / onida etc??
pl share ur views..

:p:p:p

Sorry guys, Had clicked post button and was not able to edit it. The Delivery is yet to happen and the installation will take nearly one week time post delivery. So please wait for the detailed review. My initial reviews are given above.

The Detailed review will be split up for Experts and for new Tv buyers. New buyers and non experts will not regret buying this TV because of the real estate it offers . But for experts, this will not fit the bill if they don't like huge compromises.

The another Tv which I tested was a 55 inch Full HD Phillips for 68 K.

@gp_freak - since you went and took tests of all these TVs I had a question. I'm evaluating a 40 inch TV between VU, Noble, Micromax and Mitashi.

noble-40kt40n01 (P.S. that snapdeal link has comparison with other TV and response times, direct vs edge led,etc)

micromax-40bfk60fhd Direct LED with 178 degree viewing angle

vu-40k16.

mitashi-mide040v01 (75hz refresh rate, 3Xhdmi, 3 usb, ethernet, android)

would you have any opinions on which brand is better - esp after sales service, quality, etc. I know that VU and Mitashi make claims that they use A+ grade panels in India.. did you see anything that made a difference ?

@gp_freak - since you went and took tests of all these TVs I had a question. I'm evaluating a 40 inch TV between VU, Noble, Micromax and Mitashi.

noble-40kt40n01 (P.S. that snapdeal link has comparison with other TV and response times, direct vs edge led,etc)

micromax-40bfk60fhd Direct LED with 178 degree viewing angle

vu-40k16.

mitashi-mide040v01 (75hz refresh rate, 3Xhdmi, 3 usb, ethernet, android)

would you have any opinions on which brand is better - esp after sales service, quality, etc. I know that VU and Mitashi make claims that they use A+ grade panels in India.. did you see anything that made a difference ?

Regarding after sales service, to be honest, I have no idea. With VU, I was happy that they were returning the calls and also arranging for demo tv based on our request.

Also I have not seen Mitashi and Noble and the micromax I tested were 49 incher in full HD and so called Ultra HD. I will definitely recommend you go visit and test them. Buy a TV what you test rather than through reviews which states a TV to be best.

Reg A+ grade panels and response time data, please take those with a pinch of salt. But, once the TV comes in, I will test the panels for sure and let you know. Response time I cannot check unfortunately

Regarding after sales service, to be honest, I have no idea. With VU, I was happy that they were returning the calls and also arranging for demo tv based on our request.

Also I have not seen Mitashi and Noble and the micromax I tested were 49 incher in full HD and so called Ultra HD. I will definitely recommend you go visit and test them. Buy a TV what you test rather than through reviews which states a TV to be best.

Reg A+ grade panels and response time data, please take those with a pinch of salt. But, once the TV comes in, I will test the panels for sure and let you know. Response time I cannot check unfortunately

which number did you call to arrange for demo ? I myself want to do that in Delhi.

which number did you call to arrange for demo ? I myself want to do that in Delhi.

Please try calling the following number +91-9323350081. The call was missed by them, but they returned the call immediately. Demo was arrange in one of the dealers place for me in Chennai. They had only the 55 4K 55uH7545 model and a 40 Inch model for demo.

Vu Televisions

Last edited:
hey GP..
pl clarify my query too on location at chennai and philips TV, posted little above
thanks in advance

Last edited:
Please try calling the following number +91-9323350081. The call was missed by them, but they returned the call immediately. Demo was arrange in one of the dealers place for me in Chennai. They had only the 55 4K 55uH7545 model and a 40 Inch model for demo.

Vu Televisions

just asking - did you by any chance look at the 40 inch VU demo ?

just asking - did you by any chance look at the 40 inch VU demo ?

Yes Boss, I did. But I didn't notice the model number of the same.

you are yet to get your TV delivered???

TV delivered, Installed and tested. Saw couple of movies. The TV had flashlighting issue and little bit of clouding and bright spots in a black background and white background.

It was expected. I am not going to nitpick on these issues. Those who are upgrading from any old 32 inches LCD will find this TV a huge improvement over what they have.

It does have some issues and downsides, but I am not going to delve in to all that.

I am going to keep this simple for the uninitiated. Buy this TV, this is as good as it gets for the price and size.

Looks like you are not much happy with the PQ

No Sir. It is actually quite good as a big screen. For the money spent for the screen size, its a superb value proposition. It also plays H.265 and VOB formats natively.

The reason I did not get in to a fully detailed review is because it is really a worthy buy for the price.

Please feel free to ask for more details if you guys require it.

Hi,

I am planning to buy this model and I called up their service center in Pune. I have following queries.

1. I thought with in build Wi-fi and Android , We might get future automatic upgrades on Android. But Service engineer mentioned that it is not android but uses android as a base and future Android upgrades may not happen. (Did not get what he was trying to say) Can someone confirm if android upgrades are possible.

2. How do you get that 6% coupon on their website. If you have coupon code, please pass on the same.

3. Any other additional information may be of great use.

Thanks and Regards
SHR

Hi,

I am planning to buy this model and I called up their service center in Pune. I have following queries.

1. I thought with in build Wi-fi and Android , We might get future automatic upgrades on Android. But Service engineer mentioned that it is not android but uses android as a base and future Android upgrades may not happen. (Did not get what he was trying to say) Can someone confirm if android upgrades are possible.

2. How do you get that 6% coupon on their website. If you have coupon code, please pass on the same.

3. Any other additional information may be of great use.

Thanks and Regards
SHR

To be Honest, the Android in this is a pure Gimmik:p

I haven't gone in to much details of that. It is no where close like the androids of a mobile. 55 Inch, Nice and fast playbacks from a 1 TB hard disk and the Soundbar. No other TV came close to this value at 60 K INR.

Please note that the Menu is completely dog years old and you cannot change picture settings when watching a pcture. So you need to change the picture setting in the screen and then play a video and check if the setting is okay.

So fine tuning is a bit difficult.

gp sir, how is upscaling of the HD content, are you seeing any difference with the 4k up scaling?

gp sir, how is upscaling of the HD content, are you seeing any difference with the 4k up scaling?

HD looks good and Full HD looks awesome, but not in the leagues products which cost more than 1 lakh. It has its limitations because you need to understand that its after all a low cost product. The up scaling engine is THE BEST in SONY. The extra pixels help is making the image smooth even when watching from close distance.

Standard definitions are nothing to write about.

I can strongly say that the PQ was far better than the Sony 48 inches 562C and crappy Panasonic 50 inches which I demoed to compare TVs in the 60-70K price range before okaying for VU 55 Inches.

Another plus is, it reads 2 TB hard disks too. Natively this TV doesn't read AVI files. Here is where Android came to rescue. Tried installing MX player APK, but still it was not playing AVI file.

Then downloaded VLC apk specially developed for Android TV in to a pen drive and installed it. That app is awesome and the android in this Tv did help me.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back