Walkman -anyone remember this?!

good to remind old times,

what ever said, my first walkman was the thing which has got me into serious music lover. at that time they were producing fantastic sound from that ear hugging puffy headphones, other source of music was from that national panasonic mono / stereo cassete deck tape recorder. but for stereo effect and to clearely listen all instruments sound experience of walkman was thrilling.

on those hostel days, majority of friends has hooked up desi amplifiers to the walkman and then huge speakers as much as u can attach to it, to make loud noise in hostel lobbies. but listening walkman on headphone was the one which has given purest music, possible that time.

i have kept one old aiwa and sony walkman pieces for old memories, the aiwa one still plays, but badly due to rusted head. i have kept it for my kid to experiment with it, buy opening it up and to looking into it and experiment with it as much as he can, the way i learnt opening up our old national panasonic single cassette deck mono.

thanks buddy to recall old memories.
bye
ghanshyam

good to remind old times,

what ever said, my first walkman was the thing which has got me into serious music lover. at that time they were producing fantastic sound from that ear hugging puffy headphones, other source of music was from that national panasonic mono / stereo cassete deck tape recorder. but for stereo effect and to clearely listen all instruments sound experience of walkman was thrilling.

on those hostel days, majority of friends has hooked up desi amplifiers to the walkman and then huge speakers as much as u can attach to it, to make loud noise in hostel lobbies. but listening walkman on headphone was the one which has given purest music, possible that time.

i have kept one old aiwa and sony walkman pieces for old memories, the aiwa one still plays, but badly due to rusted head. i have kept it for my kid to experiment with it, buy opening it up and to looking into it and experiment with it as much as he can, the way i learnt opening up our old national panasonic single cassette deck mono.

thanks buddy to recall old memories.
bye
ghanshyam

Hi ghanshyam,

What HT did u endup buying?

Hi

I still have a working SONY WM 2 from the 80s. Even the silly holder and plastic clip is in perfect order!
Rgds

Same with me bought it in 1990 still going strong despite being in the junk for so many years now.

Walkman was Gods(read Sony) Gift to mankind

I was a proud owner of Aiwa walkman way back while I was doing my first year graduation. It costed 1750 at that time with 50 cassetes as freebie. Itz really nostalgic when remember about it. I gifted that to my sister and i belive itz still with her !!!

AAhhh ...those were the good ol days !!

The 'Walkman' name was so dominant with indians that any other portable cassette player was called as 'Aiwa walkman' or Panasonic walkman....

I have aiwa walky & it was better than sony that time.

I mean Aiwa better than top end of sony walkman?
This is news to me?
Which model you are referring..
Have you compared with walkman Professional ,which some fanatics even compared with Nakamichi?
As i have seen walkamans costing 10K+ ,10 years back ,never saw such cutting edge Aiwa.......

hey Hemant, what about the walkman you were giving to me :)
This is news to me?
Have you compared with walkman Professional ,which some fanatics even compared with Nakamichi?
As i have seen walkamans costing 10K+ ,10 years back ,never saw such cutting edge Aiwa.......

Scott Campbell and his Sony Walkman. An interesting read!

vintage_gads_08.jpg

very nostalgic....use to own aiwa-player-recorder when was in school...

This is news to me?

I compared with entry level walky around Rs.1500 ,Sony was little bright & aiwa with original earphones sounds very nice.

I had bought an imported Aiwa walkman in 1997, for around 1500/-
It is one of the most beautiful gadgets I have ever bought - in terms of aesthetics as well as quality. The walkman had a steel grey rotating dail on shining black body. The dial was to change sound modes - Classical, Pop, Rock and Jazz!
Everyone who saw that thing in my hand always asked about it. :yahoo: In fact, one guy liked it so much, that he asked his relative to get it from S'pore.

I accidently found this post and just got nostalgic! ;)

Couple of years back I bought a SONY net workwalkman with 128 MB memory :) for Rs10000.
Still I love the sound quality of it; you don't believe, it is far better than iPod.

Walkman was a rage during my later school days, my first experience was with a Sharp walkman, and boy I loved it. Love to fall asleep listening to it at night. It was not my own but loaned by an uncle. After that I got a Philips walky but it was never as good as the Sharp. Had that during my college and it stopped working during my final years at college after almost 4 years of service. Next in line was a Aiwa, this one was again a better walky than the Philips.
But soon I got fascinated by a slim model of walky that one of my friend got from UK. That was a Sony walky and it was fantastic in those days. So I tried to find something like that in Bangalore but couldn't find any. Then one day while visiting National Market I saw a similar model by from Panasonic. I bought it there it then only, cost me around 2.7k if I can remember correctly. It had controls on the earphone socket itself and also had a very small(chocolate strip type) rechargeable battery. And also had a detachable single AA battery pack in case you run out charge. That was a really nice touch. This one was really slick(just a little bigger than the cassette itself) and you can very easily carry in your jeans pocket. I used to carry it everywhere, even while riding bikes. But anyway after the iPods I don't even remember where I kept that walky, might be lying somewhere.
This post was nostalgic or what.. :)

Scott Campbell and his Sony Walkman. An interesting read!

vintage_gads_08.jpg

Hi Audiophile,
O yes lot of us do, I still have my Sony Cassette Walkman WM-EX172, it had it all : DOLBY NR & MEGA BASS on/off slider switches, High/Low Frequency Adjustments
AVLS, Tape type [Norn/CrO2/METAL] selector. For the past 6 years I'm using Walkman series Sony Ericsson W200i its doing Fine.
In Mid 80's my dad had a Black PRO Walkman with recording feature with mics etc pretty solid looking one.

Last edited:
First one I remember was a Philips cassette player bought in the 80's with slider volume control for each channel. Only the pcb remains (working, if connected to a DC source and a cassette tape mechanism). It was quite big and heavy for a Walkman.

Bought a couple of Walkman in the 90's including Sony, Philips and Aiwa. Still have the Sony stereo mini mic which I am using in my computer for recording and chatting.

I still have my walkman professional, and there is no way that it would ever go in the bin. However, I must use it more often so it remains more than a museum piece.

I had bought a Walkman in 1994 and had loved the excellent stereo sound with the headphones on; used it for quite long for nearly 5 years and then it got left out somewhere while shifting into a newer house. I think it is still there somewhere in the house, but don't think I would now pick it up. Thanks for this thread -this does take us to the olden golden days.:)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back