Walkman -anyone remember this?!

I had a SONY Walkman with bass boost controls ,i had purchased it for Rs.1250/- in 1996 a very big amount for me back then,i used it for four years then the pinch roller gave in i had to go to goregaon (sony service centre in Mumbai) to get the pinch roller replaced.I used this up until 2005 and then gave it to a relative and switched to ipod.

I know of a Sony one in very good working condition for sale here in Kolkata. I heard it 10 years back and it still works beautifully.

Oh dear, now I come to think of it...

Somewhere, languishing in disuse, I have a top-of-the-range (but not pro (I do have one of those too, previously featured)) Sony walkman. One of the metal-case ones, with recording facility. I doubt very much if it still works, especially if a battery was left in it :eek:

Can't ever forget this. My sole means of entertainment when I was in boarding school. My first was a fairly basic one with adjustable Mega Bass that would not get attenuated with the gain (Later Walkmans had this). It had a two step AVLS too. Later I got another one with with Auto Reverse and I still have it. When CD made in roads, I got a discman except that it was one without shock protection so almost unuseable if you were on the move. I gave it up and went back to tape. Very recently I was using Sony's old and incredible MD too which was also called Walkman. A colleague has one, was not using it so I thought I'll listen to come of his old discs. Incredible sound.

Thank you for reviving old memories related to portable cassette players. These were the main source of entertainment of the younger generation in the 80s. Thanks to these players many of us have acquired partial deafness due to prolonged listening though headphones!!!
There were many brands out of which the leader was Sony player. I had used a series of these players as also a brand named UNITECH which was popular and available as "imported" along the streets of D N Road Mumbai.
I still use a metal bodied Sony Walkman which I connect to my Preamp sometimes just to re-live the moments of my younger days!

My first chance to listen any walkman was in 1985 or 1986. It was a brand called " Unicef'' . This was the first time when I listened any portable stereo device with headphones and I was so much impressed with sound quality that I used to listen it daily in the bed before sleep. Then after some years I purchased some walkmans with AM/FM radio. Obviously Sony was the leader in this segment. And still Now I have a sony walkman with built in speaker to listen FM radio.

Sony walkman new avatar.
NWZ-A17SLV
64GB internal, plus additional SD card option.
Max capacity 192GB on date.
Could go higher.

That old walkman was one of the stars in the recent Guardians of the Galaxy movie and ebay has those original Sony Walkmans listed for as much as $300!! I was too poor (still am, lol) to purchase the $200 (early 1980s price) Sony Walkman so I had to settle for the knock off of the time called the Pocket Concert made by a Japanese company named "Cybernet". It costs originally less than $100 in those days and sounded decent enough as long as you didn't shake it up much while it was playing a cassette. Mine lasted almost 5 years and I then upgraded to a brand name player that was barely larger than the box the cassette were stored in, I think it was a tiny Sanyo with power assisted auto-reverse tape transport controls and weighed nearly as much as that Cybernet stereo did! I miss that player to this day since it sounded much better and played tapes at correct speeds without being affected by shaking and rolling because it featured an "anti-rolling" flywheel.

Attachments

• $_58.jpg
    $_58.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 53
  • $_58 (1).jpg
    $_58 (1).jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 54
  • $_58 (2).jpg
    $_58 (2).jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 53
  • $_58 (3).jpg
    $_58 (3).jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 8565794450_a954f7da3a_z.jpg
    8565794450_a954f7da3a_z.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
My dad bought me an aiwa walk-men, when I cleared my 10th Boards exams which was way back in 1992 ... :) I still have it albeit in a non working poor condition ......

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back