Want to buy a budget Power Amplifier

sanjivnayak

Hi,
I want your recommendation for a budget Power Amp (around 50k to 70k price range). I am having KEF Q500 floor stander and KEF Q400b sub hooked up to Marantz AVR NR1606.
I will prefer one having Biamp features
Regards
Sanjivnayak

I Bought a Schiit Vidar for under 70k from UK, It is a very clean sounding amp, with option to use as a Monoblock if required. Build, Power and precision is Top Notch.
If you are bothered about service, I'd suggest you consider Poweramps from Emotiva XPA 2 Gen3 range, who have authorized dealers in India.
at your budget, You have many options from Marantz & Yamaha as well.

Hi,
I want your recommendation for a budget Power Amp (around 50k to 70k price range). I am having KEF Q500 floor stander and KEF Q400b sub hooked up to Marantz AVR NR1606.
Regards
Sanjivnayak

I was using the stereo preouts from my Marantz NR1403 to feed into Parasound Newclassic 2125 power amp to drive my low impedance hard to drive bookshelves (Totem Model 1). This is a high current amp and it handled difficult loads with ease and in fact, would not even heat up. There are newer models of the Parasound Newclassic which have even higher current and power capacity, but from what I hear, the original model was actually underrated in its specs. For the price of the amp, it cannot be faulted - works like a champ, is very robust, and build quality and sound output quality is really good.

FYI, I now use Dayens Ecstasy as a power amp with the same AVR. It is a really good amp too, but to be honest, I had no issues at all with the Parasound and would have been perfectly happy with it if I had not sold it in a downsizing fit.

Hi,
Regards
Sanjivnayak

There are a few good options on hifiads.com. This is a sister site but open to all. Take adequate care while buying.
BTW, its the speakers and not the amp that need to have biamping feature. Your speakers have it so you are good on that count.

Hi,
Regards
Sanjivnayak

If you were to bi-amp your FS with your AVR, the bass driver in your FS may get more power.. You already have an active sub, which does the same upto the internal AVR crossover..

Don't think you will benefit from bi-amping your FS..

If you were to bi-amp your FS with your AVR, the bass driver in your FS may get more power.. You already have an active sub, which does the same upto the internal AVR crossover..

Don't think you will benefit from bi-amping your FS..

Thanks elangoas for your valuable comments. Since I will be using my AVR as DAC, speakers connected to Power Amp will produce more sound than other speakers like Centre/Surround. Whether I should go foe PowerAmp which has a gain control to balance volume of all speakers driven together. I have less understanding in this area.
Regards
sanjivnayak

Thanks elangoas for your valuable comments. Since I will be using my AVR as DAC, speakers connected to Power Amp will produce more sound than other speakers like Centre/Surround. Whether I should go foe PowerAmp which has a gain control to balance volume of all speakers driven together. I have less understanding in this area.
Regardsw
sanjivnayak

Before you decide to take the power amp route, few options that you can try out..

I suppose, you must have completed the Audyssey calibration in you AVR..If not, complete it as it will level match the volume of all speakers from your listening position..

If you have been using only 2.0 (pure direct mode), try using 2.1 for stereo with a crossover engaged in your AVR.. (say 80/100hz)..Also, under bass management set LFE only.. This basically takes the low bass of the FS & gets routed to active sub..

On top of this, you have Audyssey presets (Reference / Flat) to try in your AVR too..

Before you decide to take the power amp route, few options that you can try out..

I suppose, you must have completed the Audyssey calibration in you AVR..If not, complete it as it will level match the volume of all speakers from your listening position..

If you have been using only 2.0 (pure direct mode), try using 2.1 for stereo with a crossover engaged in your AVR.. (say 80/100hz)..Also, under bass management set LFE only.. This basically takes the low bass of the FS & gets routed to active sub..

On top of this, you have Audyssey presets (Reference / Flat) to try in your AVR too..

Yes I am 70% in to music. As of now FR/FL/C speakers and 1 Sub connected. I am yet to connect SR/SL. AS NR1606 is a low amp device, I am biamping KEFQ500 with front+surround back which is much louderand better. But now in this setting movie viewing is OK, but I dont know how much power will fall once surrounds connected.
But here I seek your advice. When I want to listen music, I feel the fronts are lacking in power or may be a separate Power Amp will be effectively drive the speakers. I prefer listening a bit loud.
My crossover settings in AVR for Bass are 80hz and LFE as told by you. Should I give a try with one good used Power Amplifier. If so where I find them. Reliable and trustworthy place I can order without any check or preaudition.
Regards
sanjivnayak

Yes I am 70% in to music. As of now FR/FL/C speakers and 1 Sub connected. I am yet to connect SR/SL. AS NR1606 is a low amp device, I am biamping KEFQ500 with front+surround back which is much louderand better. But now in this setting movie viewing is OK, but I dont know how much power will fall once surrounds connected.
But here I seek your advice. When I want to listen music, I feel the fronts are lacking in power or may be a separate Power Amp will be effectively drive the speakers. I prefer listening a bit loud.
My crossover settings in AVR for Bass are 80hz and LFE as told by you. Should I give a try with one good used Power Amplifier. If so where I find them. Reliable and trustworthy place I can order without any check or preaudition.
Regards
sanjivnayak
then you should try CROWN XLS 1502...even you can go for higher model.
Crown amp wants signal more than consumers amps want...no worries..it has gain switch ...you will be very much satisfied...
you dont have to do the biamping, beacase it has brute power that will move your speakers to a next level of dynamics.
This was suggested to me by FM ASLIARUN..and I am happy with that.
Only thing I did is to have tube buffer and it has an amazing sound that ...nowhere in entire audiophile spectrum i can find that sound ..even in HIFI shows...

AS NR1606 is a low amp device, I am biamping KEFQ500 with front+surround back which is much louderand better. But now in this setting movie viewing is OK,

Bi-amping with AVR terminals (using SL & SR terminals for FS bass drivers), would provide the same power that you would get from front left & right..

but I dont know how much power will fall once surrounds connected.

Assuming all channels are not driven at same time in a movie, it should still be fine IMO..

Hope, you are referring to insufficient bass as lacking power..

My crossover settings in AVR for Bass are 80hz and LFE as told by you.

Are you using only FS (2.0) for stereo (or) using FS + sub (2.1) for stereo?..

Should I give a try with one good used Power Amplifier. If so where I find them. Reliable and trustworthy place I can order without any check or preaudition.

Any used integrated stereo amplifier with Pre-in & Pre-out jumper should help you to bi-amp..

then you should try CROWN XLS 1502...even you can go for higher model.
Crown amp wants signal more than consumers amps want...no worries..it has gain switch ...you will be very much satisfied...
you dont have to do the biamping, beacase it has brute power that will move your speakers to a next level of dynamics.
This was suggested to me by FM ASLIARUN..and I am happy with that.
Only thing I did is to have tube buffer and it has an amazing sound that ...nowhere in entire audiophile spectrum i can find that sound ..even in HIFI shows...

Dheerajin, I am surprised 300 watt @ 8 ohms , 2 channel driven can be at unbelievable price of 35K in Amazon. How is it possible ? Crown although I have not heard of before, it belongs to Harman stable. Let me know how other experts comment on its performance. Any body knows.
Regards
sanjivnayak

Dheerajin, I am surprised 300 watt @ 8 ohms , 2 channel driven can be at unbelievable price of 35K in Amazon. How is it possible ? Crown although I have not heard of before, it belongs to Harman stable. Let me know how other experts comment on its performance. Any body knows.
Regards
sanjivnayak

Please be assured - this sounds "too good to be true" but it really is that good. Crown is basically a leader in pro audio amps so they design their amp with that mindset - to be rugged, be capable of very high power and current output levels for sustained periods of time. With the XLS, they were able to take much of the expensive class D circuitry and miniaturize it into their own custom "drivecore" chips. Which is why they are able to keep costs so low.

Another big factor for low Indian prices is that the pro audio market is generally a lot bigger than the audiophile market, especially in India. So pro audio amps like the Crown XLS 1502 will sell for a much lesser markup (compared to global prices) compared to audiophile equipment.

DheerajIn had also created another thread in which we had posted about this amp, and he has also posted about his experience with this amp.

There's also a huge thread on this in another forum.

Thanks elangoas for point wise guidance to all my querries.
Are you using only FS (2.0) for stereo (or) using FS + sub (2.1) for stereo?
I dont know how to answer. But in Pure Direct, the Subwoofer is silent and the sound output from fronts also is reduced to half. I am listening (at volume-60 in Marantz 1606) with 2 fronts and one sub so it is 2.1 mode only with sound option multi-channel stereo. Did I answer your question correctly ?
Regards
sanjivnayak

If you have an inclination towards diy, you could contact FM Shaan for his peeceebee amplifier boards. There is a thread on them too.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Bi-amping with AVR terminals (using SL & SR terminals for FS bass drivers), would provide the same power that you would get from front left & right..

Assuming all channels are not driven at same time in a movie, it should still be fine IMO..

Hope, you are referring to insufficient bass as lacking power..

Are you using only FS (2.0) for stereo (or) using FS + sub (2.1) for stereo?..

Any used integrated stereo amplifier with Pre-in & Pre-out jumper should help you to bi-amp..

If you have an inclination towards diy, you could contact FM Shaan for his peeceebee amplifier boards. There is a thread on them too.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks MaSh. I have much less understanding and not in to DIY kind. But I was looking for a budget and yet powerful (around 100-150watt per channel at 8 ohm) amplifier in a price range of 40-80K having service centre in India. When I find something at 29K endorsed by dheerajin and FM asliarun, I took an extra interest. That I was looking previously at Audiolab 8200P, a discontinued product at 80K. Now it is a huge savings.
Thanks

Crown is not for home use. It has a sound that is best suited outdoors with horn based speakers. A shouty , bassy , loud sound.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back