Want to buy a Turntable

ayan

Hi All,

My dad has quite a few LP records & hence wanted to buy him a turntable.

Not being much aware of turntables, but having read the different posts in HiFi, wanted to know from you guys, how are the following models of turntables & are they available in Bangalore?

THORENS? - TD 170-1
THORENS? - TD 190-2
THORENS? - TD 240-2

Also y'day i had visited the Reliance Time-out store & they had Lenco turntable for around 10K. How's Lenco?

What speakers (2.1 type) would go well with the above models?

Awaiting your replies. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
welcome ayan.
i agreee with above. besides, it doesn t makes sense to go for expensive table if your lps are limited and you dont intend to build up a bigger collection.
judging by your question about 2.1 rig and seeing that this is your first post, i dare presume you dont have any audiophile circle/background around. :)
well get your basics right. you dont attach speakers to a turntable. most such record players with built in amplifier and speakers dont make it to audiophile grade. avoid it if you are serious on audiophile path and dont mind shelling out little more money then your 'sony hifi systems'. speakers are added on to an amplifier (integrated or pre-power combinations). this amp+apeaker combo would be your rig and your table would be your source. you can simultanously attach other sources like a tape player, cd player etc etc to your amp rig.
do answer ukjeyaaj s question and we ll guide you from that point on.

welcome ayan...a few weeks back i had the same question in mind and finally after a lot of r&d i bought myself an used HMV turntable....you can visit seethaphone gramophones in avenue road for used ones; you may find a good piece if you're lucky...

Ayan,

I maybe getting my hands on a nice Dual 1212. I was planning on keeping it for myself as a second player. I may pass it onto you only if you tell me what records you're planning on playing on it!

FV

Also y'day i had visited the Reliance Time-out store & they had Lenco turntable for around 10K. How's Lenco?

What speakers (2.1 type) would go well with the above models?

Awaiting your replies. Thanks in advance.

I didn't think much of that Lenco, plus they're driving it through that NAD amp(230????). Enough to put people's faith back in MP3. Just hold on. If you're in BLR, there's a bunch of guys who can help you get a nice TT

Ok looks like Manav's not the only one having bad luck today! My JVC QL-7 suddenly went on the fritz! (again) So it looks like I have to get a new TT as well.

So, i'll hop on this thread :)

Any suggestions for me? I want something that sounds very good and also will last a long time. I can do either new or used, but i seem to be leaning more towards new coz I can at least get some sort of warranty (right?). Budget wise I would like something in the 30k-50k range. New or used. Any suggestions?

^^^
check out my recommendations.... the sansui is awesome.... i dont mind buying it myself....

Do hear the ProJect Debut III too if you get a chance. It\'s also a very good value for money turntable.

^^^ its an absolute non-sense turntable... the build quality is rubbish... the tonearm is nonsense... but that's my opninion....

i'd much prefer a vintage TT for the same price... sure it'll nedd work... but it'll work for years to come!

^^^ its an absolute non-sense turntable... the build quality is rubbish... the tonearm is nonsense... but that\'s my opninion....

i\'d much prefer a vintage TT for the same price... sure it\'ll nedd work... but it\'ll work for years to come!

Wow. That is some response !

I really do like the sound though. :)
(My experience in turntables is limited.)

Last edited:
Wow. That is some response !

I really do like the sound though. :)
(My experience in turntables is limited.)

I can imagine how my resposnse sounds... but, BUT (BIG BUTT ;-)) the fact is, that i'd rather take responsibiltiy of a offensive sounding opinion than get a newbie to spend on pure nonsense... the average 10k vintage DD will outdo a table like the one mentioned... and i do not say this on hearsay, i say it from experience... i dont mean to be offensive but that's how it is. I would rather call a spade, well, a spade...

I can imagine how my resposnse sounds... but, BUT (BIG BUTT ;-)) the fact is, that i\'d rather take responsibiltiy of a offensive sounding opinion than get a newbie to spend on pure nonsense... the average 10k vintage DD will outdo a table like the one mentioned... and i do not say this on hearsay, i say it from experience... i dont mean to be offensive but that\'s how it is. I would rather call a spade, well, a spade...

No offense was taken. It was actually quite an interesting response.

Like I said, I don\'t have much experience in Turntables. My first was a terrible Garrard and a Philips and then I got hold of a Dual (which was very good sounding). Then I hear Linn LP12 and was blown away. Somehow when I heard the ProJect Debut III with the stock cartridge, I felt it a lot better than my Dual with an AudioTechnika cart. Another one is a Technics SL-D3 that was gifted to me and I rarely use it and it also sounded inferior to the Project to my ears.

After reading your response, I am now thinking of once again comparing my ProJect with the others that I can upgrade to.

SL-D3 will perform at par with Project Debut, if you put a better cart like Denon Dl-110/At MLA440.
Could you tell me your Vilyl rig like cart/phonostage etc.

Regards,
Sachin

SL-D3 will perform at par with Project Debut, if you put a better cart like Denon Dl-110/At MLA440.
Could you tell me your Vilyl rig like cart/phonostage etc.

Regards,
Sachin

I'll post in a new thread soon if I find that my ProJect or Technics is not performing as good as others. Don't want to hijack this thread.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back