Want to upgrade my AVR

Flash
I too have an old Denon-1906, but strangely I used to feel that the speaker settings used to affect the preouts. Ill check it out again within a day or two. and yes even if both speakers are off the preouts work.
I cant check it on the Yamaha right now as the AVR is not with me. If I buy it I surely will do it. But I feel its logical that all the processing is done at the preout level.
BTW what AVRs have you in mind for replacement?

YEah. Even i felt the sub 80 hz freq were being cut off. On closer inspection of the drivers in motion I realized that a full signal was being sent. Since we both have AVR's from the same era / series. I feel the outcome on both would be similar.

I have not decided on the AVR as of now. But the Yamaha Aventage series or the Denon 3312.
I know it sounds stupid. But considering a Denon because of it resale value in the distant future when i want to upgrade.

But then again I am not going to be picky. Anything that has preouts . Not really bothered about the other specs, since the midrange AVR's are pretty similar across the manufacturers. I dont think I am even going to audition them. So for now Yam and Denon, I am in no tearing hurry though. waiting to see the 2012 lineup of Denon

Yes I think what manoj says is correct. Audessey and ypao will allow all adjustments and equalizations on the preous as well. All processing are applied at pre amp level and the power amp section only does the amplification part. But I still have a doubt when you do auto calibrations without front speakers connected, which the avr can detect, it may not be successful as the minimum no. of speakers needed are two and they are front left and right. Thus it gives raise to another question whether it can detect the fronts connected to the preouts as well...

When you do the calibration, you need to have the amp on and thats how Audyssey will be able to record the test tones coming out of the speakers.

Flash: Are you using a special mode or something? Like, if you have used Pure Direct or something like that, then there won't be any processing done. You can test this using a 2 channel track, and turn on Dolby PLII Music mode. That should do the processing and send the bass to subwoofer. Check it out that way.

Flash: Are you using a special mode or something? Like, if you have used Pure Direct or something like that, then there won't be any processing done. You can test this using a 2 channel track, and turn on Dolby PLII Music mode. That should do the processing and send the bass to subwoofer. Check it out that way.

Oh yes ..... True . I was using it in Stereo / Pure Direct mode. I never tried Dolby PL II...
Will check it out .
Thanks

YEah. Even i felt the sub 80 hz freq were being cut off. On closer inspection of the drivers in motion I realized that a full signal was being sent. Since we both have AVR's from the same era / series. I feel the outcome on both would be similar.

I have not decided on the AVR as of now. But the Yamaha Aventage series or the Denon 3312.
I know it sounds stupid. But considering a Denon because of it resale value in the distant future when i want to upgrade.

But then again I am not going to be picky. Anything that has preouts . Not really bothered about the other specs, since the midrange AVR's are pretty similar across the manufacturers. I dont think I am even going to audition them. So for now Yam and Denon, I am in no tearing hurry though. waiting to see the 2012 lineup of Denon

The way Denon are cutting features and jacking up prices I wouldnt be surprised if the new 2012 models have bare bone features.The 1906 was a fully loaded amp for its time but the 1912 doesnt even have pre outs. I read that the new Marantz 5006 costs 96000!. Guess our passion is going to be very heavy on the pocket with each passing year!
One thing tho, I really enjoyed the sound signature of the Aventage series ie A1000. The detail is amazing. You must hear it

I was looking to upgrade the receiver so did quite a bit of research on the current and last years models. I wanted 3D pass-through, pre-outs, 7.1 channel analog input, at least 4 HDMI inputs and 7.1 outputs (with 9.1 preferrable).

I found that each year, the receiver manufacturers are adding new features but most of these are software wise or something that can be done by using faster chips like airplay, dlna player etc. But they are cutting down on other features like Pre-Outs, no multi-channel inputs, less co-ax/optical inputs etc. For example, Marantz 5005 has full 8 channel pre-outs. But the 5006 has on 3 channel pre-outs (subwoofer included). The lowest model with pre-outs from Denon is 3311/3312. But that did not had any 7.1 analog inputs. Anything lower than 3311/3312 does not have any pre-outs. For 9.1, be prepared to shell out atleast $1000. None of the Marantz is 9.1. Denon has it in 4311 and above.

I found Yamaha Aventage series at low/mid end to be better feature wise. Although, I am not a fan of YPAO so much, but its lowest model RX-A700/RX-V667 has full 8 channel pre-outs. This one sells for about $350 at amazon.com. The only other which could match my needs was Marantz 5005/6005. Given the price difference between Yamaha A700 and Marantz, I had almost finalized on Yamaha. There was no benefit with any other receivers unless I would have upgraded to 4311 for 9.1 outputs and XT32.

Hopefully this helps anyone looking for receivers now. In my opinion last years Yamaha Aventage and Marantz xx05 series offers tremendous value both price wise and feature wise, unless you need networking.

The way Denon are cutting features and jacking up prices I wouldnt be surprised if the new 2012 models have bare bone features.The 1906 was a fully loaded amp for its time but the 1912 doesnt even have pre outs.
Exactly the 1906 / 2106 were built like tanks and came loaded with a plethora of connectivity options. I guess if not for the HDMI ports. I guess we would have both stuck to using our existing AVR's. In all fairness they even did music brilliantly well.

One thing tho, I really enjoyed the sound signature of the Aventage series ie A1000. The detail is amazing. You must hear it

Sounds Interesting. Any idea on the approximate pricing of the A1000 ?

I was looking to upgrade the receiver so did quite a bit of research on the current and last years models. I wanted 3D pass-through, pre-outs, 7.1 channel analog input, at least 4 HDMI inputs and 7.1 outputs (with 9.1 preferrable).

I found that each year, the receiver manufacturers are adding new features but most of these are software wise or something that can be done by using faster chips like airplay, dlna player etc. But they are cutting down on other features like Pre-Outs, no multi-channel inputs, less co-ax/optical inputs etc. For example, Marantz 5005 has full 8 channel pre-outs. But the 5006 has on 3 channel pre-outs (subwoofer included). The lowest model with pre-outs from Denon is 3311/3312. But that did not had any 7.1 analog inputs. Anything lower than 3311/3312 does not have any pre-outs. For 9.1, be prepared to shell out atleast $1000. None of the Marantz is 9.1. Denon has it in 4311 and above.

I found Yamaha Aventage series at low/mid end to be better feature wise. Although, I am not a fan of YPAO so much, but its lowest model RX-A700/RX-V667 has full 8 channel pre-outs. This one sells for about $350 at amazon.com. The only other which could match my needs was Marantz 5005/6005. Given the price difference between Yamaha A700 and Marantz, I had almost finalized on Yamaha. There was no benefit with any other receivers unless I would have upgraded to 4311 for 9.1 outputs and XT32.

Hopefully this helps anyone looking for receivers now. In my opinion last years Yamaha Aventage and Marantz xx05 series offers tremendous value both price wise and feature wise, unless you need networking.

I totally agree. BTW between Aventage and Marantz xxx5 which do yoou feel is better for MOVIES? What did you finally buy?

I totally agree. BTW between Aventage and Marantz xxx5 which do yoou feel is better for MOVIES? What did you finally buy?

based on limited auditions, I found that Yamaha was better at low/mid end than demon/marantz/onkyo. Unless one needs Audyssey room correction. I think multieq is better than ypao.

During this wait, I came across the Sherwood R-972 and was very intrigued by its Trinnov room optimization. Ordered one and its working out very good. Its in a different league compared to other receivers I stated above. It has some quirks with HDMI switching, but its very fine for audio.

based on limited auditions, I found that Yamaha was better at low/mid end than demon/marantz/onkyo. Unless one needs Audyssey room correction. I think multieq is better than ypao.

During this wait, I came across the Sherwood R-972 and was very intrigued by its Trinnov room optimization. Ordered one and its working out very good. Its in a different league compared to other receivers I stated above. It has some quirks with HDMI switching, but its very fine for audio.

I have come across references to Sherwood R 972 in various av forums. Most people seem to be very pleased with it. However I dont know if there are any reports of this on hifivision. If any member has used/auditioned it, I'd like some feedback.
manoj.p why dont you post a detailed review along with pictures. Any idea of its availability in India?

docd:
Yes, I will try to do a mini review of it once I have it all nailed down. There are plenty of its reviews on the professional sites. I like the way hometheaterhifi review format.
Sherwood Newcastle R-972 7.1 A/V Receiver with Trinnov Room Optimizer Technology

Anyway, the receiver provides lots of options as regards to the Room Optimization. Page 3 of the above linked review goes in detail with it. Also, sherwood provides +3db, +6db bass boost files for those who need it. The receiver can do 3 different measurements and save those in memory. User can then select them individually for different inputs.

So far, the user experience is very positive at avsforum and hometheatershack.com. Its more in line what I am observing as well. Its very natural, smooth sounding and the bass is very clean and tight. I was using Behringer feedback destroyer for eq'ing the sub before, but took it out now as I don't see the need. One of my friend here was using Antimode for sub eq and he has taken it out as well. We both like the way sub sounds using the Sherwood.

As for its availability in India - I am not sure whether its available there. In US, Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices! has it for $599, a steal at that price.

docd:
Yes, I will try to do a mini review of it once I have it all nailed down. There are plenty of its reviews on the professional sites. I like the way hometheaterhifi review format.
Sherwood Newcastle R-972 7.1 A/V Receiver with Trinnov Room Optimizer Technology

Anyway, the receiver provides lots of options as regards to the Room Optimization. Page 3 of the above linked review goes in detail with it. Also, sherwood provides +3db, +6db bass boost files for those who need it. The receiver can do 3 different measurements and save those in memory. User can then select them individually for different inputs.

So far, the user experience is very positive at avsforum and hometheatershack.com. Its more in line what I am observing as well. Its very natural, smooth sounding and the bass is very clean and tight. I was using Behringer feedback destroyer for eq'ing the sub before, but took it out now as I don't see the need. One of my friend here was using Antimode for sub eq and he has taken it out as well. We both like the way sub sounds using the Sherwood.

As for its availability in India - I am not sure whether its available there. In US, Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices! has it for $599, a steal at that price.

Thanks manoj.p,
All reviews regarding the audio performance of this AVR are positive and the price is pretty good. I think some pieces are available on Amazon, I am tempted to order. I only wish I could hear it!

Thanks Manoj ... This is the first take on Sherwood in this forum .
Sounds very interesting and tempting ...
Monoj, how would you describe the sound signature of Sheerwood, Bright, warm etc

Docd .... I second that I only wish we could hear it.

Monoj, how would you describe the sound signature of Sheerwood, Bright, warm etc

Is there an authourised Sherwood dealer in India? I guess even if there was the price would be astronomical.

Flash, BTW I saw a pic of your setup on another thread. your cabinet looks good. where did you get from?

Built the entire rack and TV unit, Back panel with my own 2 hands....
So could customize the rack on the basis of the components I have.
I could have done a better job.But alas my woodworking skills are not toally upto the mark. :mad:
I realised only after assemling the ply for the rack, that it would be impossible to laminate the interiors. So had to use Polish... The messiest job ever. It took at least 1/5 liter of thinner to get the mess off my hands. my hands literally looked like it had been immersed in a pile of shit.:eek:hyeah:
After 2 hours in the washroom, except for the usual cigarette break. I finally managed to get all the polish off. Getting it off from my finger nails took another 2 days.

Cinebels indeed is the distri for the Sherwood brand, I shall speak to the person running the bandra outlet & find out rates & possibility of getting the 972 for demo.

Yo Denom... Is there anyone you don't know ..... You Rock Maan....

Flash,

OOTB, without room eq, the Sherwood sounds quite detailed, I won't say its overly bright because my speakers are studio monitors and reveal the details as it is. I would say only a touch bright. Once the room optimization was done, Trinnov made the sound smooth, still retaining details. The bass is very tight and clean, and sounds very musical. For those who think its too bright, they can add a Cinema EQ filter which does very gradual high frequency roll-off. There are other EQ options with Trinnov as well. I did not feel the need so didn't use Cinema EQ.

When I had used Behringer Feedback destroyer, I had added a 12db boost at 18 Hz. Sherwood limits the adjustments to +6db/-12db. So, naturally there is not so much response at 18 Hz. But I am okay with less bass because the musicality of the receiver is so much better. I can always add a boost on the subwoofer itself if I desire. For those looking for a thump in movies, sherwood provides +3db and +6db target curves.

Anyways, I find the receiver very musical and a good fit for HT too. Vocals are very clear and solid sound.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back