Want to upgrade my AVR

docd

Hello everyone,
I've owned a Denon AVR 1906 since the last 5 yrs. I think its hightime for an upgrade.
My present system is as follows:
Denon AVR 1906: it was a whathifi 5 star winner in its time, Still sounds great but no HD decoding and HDMI
Speakers: Sonodyne Sonus 2605 Fronts and centre, JBL satellites for surrounds
KEF PSW 1000.2 subwoofer
Source: Dune HD Max
Cambridge Audio DVD 89 for SACD, DVD -audio. It has HDMI as well as 5.1 analogue out.
I have a Marantz CD5001 and PM6002 that I use for music.
I connect the front preouts from the Denon to the Marantz amp so I need to use only one speaker pair. This also gives great sound, better than the fronts on the Denon.
My requirements are as follows:
The new AVR should of course have HD and HDMI. It should also have preouts and prein preferably 7.1 This I need as i want to continue to use my Marantz amp for the fronts. The 7.1 inputs are needed for the DVD89 for SACD and DVD audio playback (it doesnt output it thru HDMI). I dont want to give it up its CD playback is also great
I dont need internet connectivity as I can use the Dune for that. Would like IPOD connectivity for my Ipod Touch.
My budget is around 40-45k for AVR. My use is 60/40 for music
/movies.
I have considered the following:
Denon 1912- but no preouts preins,no video upscaling
Yamaha 671 again same as above
Marantz 5005/6005-slightly dated models, but match my requirements.Also marantz ASS is unknown quality.
I may consider changing my speakers also a bit later to match any new AVR
I would really appreciate some feedback from the pros on this forum.
PS Spiro, Ive gone thru your reviews but would still like some more info on Marantz which right now seem to be the only ones to fit in my requirements.

Denon 1912- but no preouts preins,no video upscaling
Yamaha 671 again same as above

I agree that the 671 doesn't have preouts but it does have Analogue and HDMI video upscaling to full HD 1080p. You might want to consider Yamaha 871 as it has preouts.

Re: Want to upgrade . my AVR

Well yes I forgot that the 748 does not have analog ins. Thinking about pre-outs. Well i thought that the HDMI i/ps coupled with the optical and coaxial would solve the problem. The 757 sure has them but then it costs around a lac plus. The marantz shortlisted by you will do.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I've owned a Denon AVR 1906 since the last 5 yrs. I think its hightime for an upgrade.

What is it that is lacking in your current setup? Or you are upgrading for any other reason? This could be a slippery slope involving lots of INRs.

What is it that is lacking in your current setup? Or you are upgrading for any other reason? This could be a slippery slope involving lots of INRs.

marsilans you are absolutely right when you call it a slippery slope. I realised that that once you start upgrading you invariably end up crossing your budget.two reasons for changing: My TV has only one HDMI in and with multple sources like Dune, Tata sky HD +, DVD89, I needed a new AVR so that just one HDMI cable is needed to the TV. I dont want to change my TV yet, its an early model 32" LG, Made in Korea with fantastic PQ even though its only HD ready. The other reason is that I hear some crackling noises in one front channel of the Denon and I fear it may be reaching the end of its life.

Last edited:
You are welcome. I wd PM you the contacts of the dealer I bought my stuff from but I dont know if he has the 871 with him. You might also consider buying it online through amazon.de as lots of members here have been giving that method a shot.

Keep us updated about your search. Cheers !

You are welcome. I wd PM you the contacts of the dealer I bought my stuff from but I dont know if he has the 871 with him. You might also consider buying it online through amazon.de as lots of members here have been giving that method a shot.

Keep us updated about your search. Cheers !

Read your PM, thanks, replied by PM to you

marsilans you are absolutely right when you call it a slippery slope. I realised that that once you start upgrading you invariably end up crossing your budget.two reasons for changing: My TV has only one HDMI in and with multple sources like Dune, Tata sky HD +, DVD89, I needed a new AVR so that just one HDMI cable is needed to the TV. I dont want to change my TV yet, its an early model 32" LG, Made in Korea with fantastic PQ even though its only HD ready. The other reason is that I hear some crackling noises in one front channel of the Denon and I fear it may be reaching the end of its life.

Your issues seem to be minor at this time -

For the 1 HDMI connection, you can invest in a good HDMI switcher where in multiple inputs go into the box and the output goes to TV.

For the crackling noise, get the AVR serviced by Denon after checking that its not the connections or the cables or your speakers.

Both these options are much cheaper than a new AVR.

Your issues seem to be minor at this time -

For the 1 HDMI connection, you can invest in a good HDMI switcher where in multiple inputs go into the box and the output goes to TV.

For the crackling noise, get the AVR serviced by Denon after checking that its not the connections or the cables or your speakers.

Both these options are much cheaper than a new AVR.

Already considered all of the above, of course will get Denon serviced. But the upgraditis bug has well and truly bitten me and there is only one cure for that as we all know. Just for my info, how does the SQ of Denon 1906 compare to todays models?

What are you planning to do with pre outs? Just curious...

Santy,
The reason I want preouts is that I can continue to use only one front speaker pair for both music and movies. I have a marantz PM6002 amp which is very musical. I just connect the AVRs front preouts to the amps aux in and can play them thru the amp.Believe me it makes a world of difference to the sound. Any help re this would be appreciated. Sent you a PM, check and get back to me

Last edited:
Already considered all of the above, of course will get Denon serviced. But the upgraditis bug has well and truly bitten me and there is only one cure for that as we all know. Just for my info, how does the SQ of Denon 1906 compare to todays models?

As you are bent on upgrading, why dont you go with a Marantz AVR with all the jazz you are looking for. Its available on HifiMart and there are member discounts. The synergy will probably be the best with your amp.

As you are bent on upgrading, why dont you go with a Marantz AVR with all the jazz you are looking for. Its available on HifiMart and there are member discounts. The synergy will probably be the best with your amp.

I have strongly considered that, but i would like to hear a few AVRs before deciding.Whats your opinion on the Marantzs both 5005/6005, Have you heard them or anyfeedback about them? they do fit in my specs. What about yamaha A1000? BTW is it possible to audition before buying from Hifimart?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back