Watching Youtube HD on WDTV Live

john_k_antony

Friends,

I was looking for an option to watch Youtube HD on WDTV Live. The Youtube app that is bundled with WDTV live official firmware will play only SD format. I found the following custom firmware while googling around. I installed it and it looks good. The custom firmware is named as - WDLXTV (WDLXTV.COM). You have to download the latest firmware from their forums.

Important : Please take a copy of the latest official WDTV live firmware (1.06.15_V) before you flash this firmware.

Here is what I found about the firmware.

Pros :

1. Youtube HD. It also removes the restriction of not able to watch some videos from the official Youtube App in WDTV Live.
2. UMSP (UMSP - WikiDLXTV). Using this you can plugin lots of online music and movie streaming sites
3. Enables FTP/Telnet/SSH and torrent client within WDTV

Cons :
1. The base version of WDTV firmware on which WDLXTV is built is on 1.5. So some major fixes WDTV has done in their 1.6 firmware is still unavailable. This includes some major fixes in mp4 playback and some stutter issues while playback.
2. I have experienced occasional instability while playback
3. Booting time has increased.

Its worth a try for enthusiasts. Again before trying this, please have a copy of the latest WDTV Live official firmware handy.

-John.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back