WD TV Live (ie WD TV 2)

Saw some people talking about some firmware upgrade (1.01.12) that bricks the unit...anyone seen this? has this been resolved? any idea?

I am ready to pull the trigger on this one (from amazon to be brought down by a cousin).

Pull the trigger man, its good :) If its bricks, we will do R&D on it ;)

Tried the files again - they work perfectly.
I have a Denon 1910 which is able to decode the signal.

The files I tried are :
1. hd_dolby_bit_harvest_lossless.m2ts
2. hd_dts_sfx_long_lossless.m2ts

Hi,

Another small info, can you let me know what does you AVR display screen read, when you play the above files. i.e does it read as DTS-HD-MA and DD-TrueHD for the respective files, or does it simply read as DTS Sorround and Dolby Digital.

thanks.

Hi,

Another small info, can you let me know what does you AVR display screen read, when you play the above files. i.e does it read as DTS-HD-MA and DD-TrueHD for the respective files, or does it simply read as DTS Sorround and Dolby Digital.

thanks.

Will try out and let you know.

After thinking a lot, I booked WDTV Live (and Thermaltake BlacX Duet) from 20north. I took the 14 day shipping option. It should reach before 19th. :yahoo:

~Jain

Hi
Did you receive the WD TV Live as on schedule? I hope it would have, Please tell me your comments about the product and warranty in India. Becaz I too want to buy from 20north. Thanks,

its a phenomenal product. I bought it primarily so my son is not on the computer watching his movies..but on the TV. Image quality is really good and its very easy to use.

I of course have theV1 of it and just upgraded the firmware.

Hi,

I got my WD TV Live on this weekend. Ordered from 20 north for 7.7k after using discount coupon. They took exactly 14 days for delivery.

As mentioned in Specs. its playing all the formats flawlessly.

Regards
Satya.

Hi,

I got my WD TV Live on this weekend. Ordered from 20 north for 7.7k after using discount coupon. They took exactly 14 days for delivery.

As mentioned in Specs. its playing all the formats flawlessly.

Regards
Satya.

Hi,

Does is bitstream/decode HD audio, or does it just downmixes it to 5.1 DTS/DD. Sorry for repeated query. But no straighforward answer's from any owners yet.

thanks.

What is the sample rate of audio file digital streaming from WD, does it convert to 48KHz like windows (i think Xtreamer does that, please correct me if i am wrong)? If so, is there any way to do bit streaming like ASIO in windows?

Hi,

Does is bitstream/decode HD audio, or does it just downmixes it to 5.1 DTS/DD. Sorry for repeated query. But no straighforward answer's from any owners yet.

thanks.

I will connect it to HD capable AVR tonight and will post my observation tomorrow.

I have played hd_dts_orchestra_long.m2ts file y'day connecting to HTiB which is not capable of HD Audio.What I expected is downmixed "DTS Surround" display on the HTiB but instead it displayed Dolby Digital.

Satya.

Ok Guys..Further to my earlier post...here are few observations.

Audio:
Dolby TruHD - OK (30mbps-L4.1-TrueHD.m2ts) File from AVS Forum
Dolby Digital Plus - OK (hd_dolby_digital_plus_channel_check_lossless.m2ts)
DTS HD MA 7.1 - Not OK :confused:(hd_dts_orchestra_long_lossless.m2ts)
AVR (Denon 1610) shows DTS. Fellow users of WD TV Live please confirm on this. I didn't set up the AVR completely don't know that can be a reason.

Video: (Apart from regular formats)

WMV9: 1080p WMV9 video with 5.1 WMA audio : Plays Flawlessly
MP4: 1080p L5.0 Apple trailer with 9 reframes and AAC audio : Plays Flawlessly
RMVB: Doesn't play
DVD movie which is dumped to HD without any change : Struggles to play
iTunes Movies( After removing DRM) - Plays perfectly.

Sources :
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1181902
High Definition Trailers (HD) - Demo World

Regards
Satya

Do 20north people offer international warranty or Indian warranty or no warranty. I think WD gives some kind of 1 year manufacturer warranty. Does anybody who bought from 20north get any type of warranty? Please reply as it will help others who want to buy from 20north. Thanks guys.:)

Do 20north people offer international warranty or Indian warranty or no warranty. I think WD gives some kind of 1 year manufacturer warranty. Does anybody who bought from 20north get any type of warranty? Please reply as it will help others who want to buy from 20north. Thanks guys.:)

20north doesn't offer any kind of exclusive warranty. You will have what ever warranty the product offers.
20north just buys the product behalf of us from USA online shopping sites (Mostly Amazon) and will ships to us.

Thanks
Satya.

Ok Guys..Further to my earlier post...here are few observations.

Audio:
Dolby TruHD - OK (30mbps-L4.1-TrueHD.m2ts) File from AVS Forum
Dolby Digital Plus - OK (hd_dolby_digital_plus_channel_check_lossless.m2ts)
DTS HD MA 7.1 - Not OK :confused:(hd_dts_orchestra_long_lossless.m2ts)
AVR (Denon 1610) shows DTS. Fellow users of WD TV Live please confirm on this. I didn't set up the AVR completely don't know that can be a reason.

Video: (Apart from regular formats)

WMV9: 1080p WMV9 video with 5.1 WMA audio : Plays Flawlessly
MP4: 1080p L5.0 Apple trailer with 9 reframes and AAC audio : Plays Flawlessly
RMVB: Doesn't play
DVD movie which is dumped to HD without any change : Struggles to play
iTunes Movies( After removing DRM) - Plays perfectly.

Sources :
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1181902
High Definition Trailers (HD) - Demo World

Regards
Satya

Oh great.. Thanks for your review.

So what you mean to say is that WD Live does the HD bitstreaming (not the LPCM) without any downstreaming to DD/DTS? Hope your receiver detects the i/p as HD and was showing the Dolby TrueHD.

@All, Is the DTS-MA incomptibility because of the hardware limitation or is it just a software/firmware update?

Does the processor supports bluray, somewhere i read that the h/w doesnt support that format, in that case we cannot connect a bluray drive, right? please clarify..

Last edited:
Hi,

Just set your WD TV's audio to HDMI RAW (or equivalent). I guess it is not decoding/bitstreaming, it is just downmixing.:mad: These media player companies are just fooling the users.
None of the media processors Realtek/Sigma etc have succeeded in getting HD audio licenses. Same complaints on all AV forums.

cheers

Oh great.. Thanks for your review.

So what you mean to say is that WD Live does the HD bitstreaming (not the LPCM) without any downstreaming to DD/DTS? Hope your receiver detects the i/p as HD and was showing the Dolby TrueHD.

I think so. Connected the WD TV to the AVR ( Which has out of the box default setting).

Dolby TruHD - Display - Dolby TruHD ( HD Icon gets Highlighted )
Dolby Digital Plus - Display - Dolby D Plus ( HD Icon gets Highlighted )
DTS HD MA 7.1 - Display - DTS (No HD Icon).

Sorry guys, I should have mentioned what AVR displays also.

Hi,

Just set your WD TV's audio to HDMI RAW (or equivalent). I guess it is not decoding/bitstreaming, it is just downmixing.:mad: These media player companies are just fooling the users.
None of the media processors Realtek/Sigma etc have succeeded in getting HD audio licenses. Same complaints on all AV forums.

cheers

Aneel,

Since AVR is displaying Dolby TruHD and Dolby Digital Plus for HD audio formats, can we say WD TV Live is capable of Bit streaming/Decoding the HD Audio formats?
Regarding DTS HD MA, I should spend some time on AVR before giving any verdict.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back