WDTV Killer is here!

guys, i was about to place order for a Xtreamer at 9990 Rs. but now my friend is coming from US by end of this month. he is ready to bring a WDTV which is available at 100$ (~4800). i dont think the extras in xtreamer are really useful for me. so i decided to get WDTV from US. is it a good decision ?

guys, i was about to place order for a Xtreamer at 9990 Rs. but now my friend is coming from US by end of this month. he is ready to bring a WDTV which is available at 100$ (~4800). i dont think the extras in xtreamer are really useful for me. so i decided to get WDTV from US. is it a good decision ?

Well i have just made the payment and ordered my xtreamer from NV trading.

Will update once i get further details on the same.

If you want to stream through lan or wireless it is a good option. WD is good too, depends what your requirements are ...

The WD passport is available in 1TB as well. Check it out if portability and small form factor appeals you.

i just saw it.. its price in amazon is 199 $ almost double as WD Essential (106). i already have one portable (250 mb 2.5")and i will be using the new one only to dump the downloaded HD content. (its really sad that i could not watch any HD content on my TV till now :sad: its almost 2 months old now)

I am not sure if you want to buy WDTV now as WDTV 2 is due within couple of months (or may be a month) and WDTV is at the end of product life cycle. Please remember WDTV does not have LAN connectivity which you may need as copying large HD files (4Gb to 15 GB) is pain. Also once WDTV2 is out, WD might not release patches/fixes for the current WDTV models in near future.
There are plenty of options for Media Player if one wants to bring from USA including Pop Corn Hour C-200, AC Ryan PlayOn!HD etc. with better features.
Just my 2cents..

Can anyone compare WDTV with Lynksys NMH300?

I am planning to get a medea server since i already have two 1 TB hds.

Sudhish.

I am not sure if you want to buy WDTV now as WDTV 2 is due within couple of months (or may be a month) and WDTV is at the end of product life cycle. Please remember WDTV does not have LAN connectivity which you may need as copying large HD files (4Gb to 15 GB) is pain. Also once WDTV2 is out, WD might not release patches/fixes for the current WDTV models in near future.
There are plenty of options for Media Player if one wants to bring from USA including Pop Corn Hour C-200, AC Ryan PlayOn!HD etc. with better features.
Just my 2cents..

Thanks malankar,

here is the news about WDTV2
Leaked Western Digital TV-2 Media Player Reveals Modest Upgrades, Codec Support - Western Digital - Gizmodo

it says (though unofficial ) the main attraction in the upgrade is the LAN option. i think we still can manage it on a WDTV using any USB-LAN adapter.. isnt it ? also WDTV allows DTS audio pass through. yes you are right about updates.. but its difficult for them to simply stop updates of such a popular model..

Did u get free shipping?

Yes i got free shipping.
Sumit from NV trading has been very helpful and co operative.
I have been in touch with him from last 3 weeks for purchasing the product and getting details on the same.

Also he has promised in case of any issues they will help in warranty claims in fixing the product which i feel is a great option, as i could have got the product from abroad but warranty claims is not easy.

Buying locally gives that peace of mind. Till now i have not heard of a single RMA on the pieces that have been sold by xtreamer India, most of the guys who have bought are satisfied with the item and have also spoken highly about the dealer in India.

Last edited:
Thanks malankar,

here is the news about WDTV2
Leaked Western Digital TV-2 Media Player Reveals Modest Upgrades, Codec Support - Western Digital - Gizmodo

it says (though unofficial ) the main attraction in the upgrade is the LAN option. i think we still can manage it on a WDTV using any USB-LAN adapter.. isnt it ? also WDTV allows DTS audio pass through. yes you are right about updates.. but its difficult for them to simply stop updates of such a popular model..

Well also there will be a price hike for the product, the one with the lan will be more expensive and priced higher than the existing one. It would roughly cost around between 175 to 200$ thats the word. But nothing has been confirmed as of now.

Here is a rear view of the same -

I agree...which therefore makes it that much more confusing..

Just my 2cents..

i dont feel there should be any confusion, because using the default firmware,
WDTV does not offer, Ethernet, wireless on inbuilt hdd support.

I know there is a modded firmware which when used can make changes.

The above 3 are a clear differentiators,also as far as pricing is considered, the cost difference is around 3k.

So it all depends what one is looking for ...

i was myself planning to buy the same, but have put it on hold due to remote issues, my viewing distance is over 18 feet hence i don't want to get up every time just to use the remote.

All my other remotes work fine, this is one of the reason only i am holding back on the purchase .

Otherwise the reviews are good and the product is fantasic

I did see the issues with the remote beyond 12ft. I dont see this issue with the Logitech Harmony I'm using. it worked fine at around 20ft.

well, the remote is working fine, i changed the batteries and i have kept the unit on an open shelf, it works fine even beyond 15 feet, but it has limited line of sight, as of now i am ok with it, i have a URC one for all 7950 but do not have the code to configure xtreamer on the same,

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I have ordered the Xtreamer for Rs. 9990 + 650(shipping) and will get it deliver on Tuesday.

I'm planning to buy 1 TB external HDD mainly for backing up the data and also for keeping all the media files. Please let me know if it is possible to use torrent with external HDD or it is supported only with internal HDD.

Please also suggest some internal HDD(500 GB) for using with Xtreamer and best price/place in Pune.

Thanks

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back