WDTV Killer is here!

You need both of these cables, without which your device would not be able to do much justice.

I have got HDMI and going to test it for next few days with xtreamer, yet to buy an optical, but really want to understand how much difference it will bring me compared to HDMI for SQ.

Hi got my Xtreamer Media Player (XMP) today my 1st impressions are given below all the comparisons are done with WDTV which i have been using form last 6 months

PQ almost same as Wd
SQ do
Remote of XMP is not working properly from a distance of 10/12 feet and even when in close range near player certain angels only V/s WD remote is perfect the quality of remote range has to be impoved (tried with my harmony too same problem so ir range in unit has some problems).

On screen menu is faster than WD but gets hanged sometimes and i had to unplug the unit from power and restart never had the problem with Wd maybe XMP with improve over the time with new firmware updates.

My 1TB External HDD (WD) working perfectly with WDTV is not even getting recognized by XMP the same was working perfectly with WDTV.Tryed with another 500 Gb external Hdd working properly diffrence =1tb was fat 32 and 500 gb was NTFS format (???) maybe have to reformat my 1tb hdd to NTFS

Wifi support is great esp with a free wifi Antenna- Definately a BIG advantage for XMP.another plus is copying directly to internal HDD from USB or network (tryed with external hdd but not on network.

Price (XMP)Rs.9990/- v/s (WDTV)7000/- to 7500/- payong 2490/- min more for Wifi Antenna Hdmi 1.3 internal HDD encloser depenends on requirement.

...and im expecting that XMP will have more community support as its open source so guys take your pick :clapping:

sorry for the quality of pics from my mobile phone:)

Hi Noking,

i want to go for this product but i am worried reading that the remote is not working properly in distance more than 12 feet. As my current remotes work fine over 20 feet distance and i never faced any issues. As my operating distance is quite far i don't want to move close every time just to operate the remote.

This has me worried, unfortunately no one has highlighted the remote range issue, this is a good point u have highlighted in your review

Remote range is really bad even with my harmony and sometimes i have to press the on button 4/5 times to switch it on..a few others in xtreamer forums have also highlighted this problem and sometimes the unit is freezing and i have to remove the power adapter to restart,may be all this will get solved in next few firmware updates...also doesn't support any MP4 file over 2 Gb just says "invalid File".and does not recoginize FAT32 HDD had to reformat my 1TB to NTFS.

maybe xtreamer is going typical NOKIA way all the experiments on end user before bring a perfect firmware.(a co-incidence that both are European Cos:lol:)

i wanna know about dreambox are u using it?

It is after going through this forum that I ordered WDTV today. And I registered and sending my First post is here under the title "WDTV Killer !!!!". That is life!

I got mine delivered (xtreamer) two days back,

Yesterday I trid to setup a few things in my small setup with this new device taking its place.

This is the first time, I was trying to use HDMI I/Os on my Onkyo 5105B and realized that HDMI is not going to get me the sound, I will have to use alternate digital sound options when I'm using HDMI on my Onkyo. Some of the things which I'm setting up now..

1> getting a 2.5" ~500GB internal HDD (not in hurry)
2> getting a decent quality optical cable to feed the sound to my AV (for now, I'm going to use HDMI, let me konw what diff I'm going to see after I connect it using optical cable for sound o/p) - also, where in bangalore I can get a decent optical cable (SPRoad!)
3> Need to test some video streaming off internet - I tried some of them today and it was performing okay
4> Once the device is setup, need to arrange my libraries on my notebook so I can stream picture/music/videos from notebook (frequently moving media) - less frequently moving media need to be shifted to internal or USB drive for now (i dont have much really, should start building my library now if i continue to enjoy this device)
5> It says it does support HDMI1.3, Need to verify if the port on my AVR (onkyo 5105B) and one on my TV (Sony Brivia KF-55E200A) can support this standard (not going to make big diff it seems)
6> Not going to download the lots of stuff from internet for streaming for now, only some titles depending on availability and interest, in the mean time, I would like to subcribe to some movie rental who is providing good quality movies (at least original DVDs or HD quality), as this is the only device I have that can give me close to 1080i/p resolution (dont think my Philips DVP5996 can do that, it should just be doing some upscaling - need to check though) so that I can watch some good quality movies and start collecting some oldies which will be part of my library for longer duration
7> Need to find out if I can get a good universal remote (need inputs from you guys), I head that logitech harmony has already added xtreamer in their db, not sure how to confirm that and what model to buy, but otherwise, it can be learnt anyways - now its going to be very difficult to manage one remote for each of these 5 devices

as i said, with Xtreamer and my 360 now connected to HDMI, I'm not getting the sound.
I'm going to add third HDMI input as my Philiphs DVP-5996 as soon as I get one more HDMI cable for this setup. Now I know that I will have to get the optical cable (which was already planned, but for later time) if I want xtreamer to play sound on my HT system.

However, one question that I have is! My 360 doesnt have digital sound output as such, I dont know how am I going to get the 360 sound output on my AVR while I'm using HDMI, anyone has got any idea?? please share..

Also, which is a good place where I can buy decent Optical cables?
Thanks.

i read on xtreamer forums that digital out is not bitperfect. Not sure what is the big deal with that, but I postponed my buy.

regards

Thanks guys,

I guess I have an adaptor in my 360 accessories which I can use to get the digital out either in component or optical format to get to the AVR. For now, I'm using TV speakers for Xbox as most of the time its being used by my son and he doesnt like loud stuff.

I have got an optical cable tonight and going to setup the Xtreamer and start with a movie. I'm going to try all different formats (I dont have all of them now, but I will start collecting soon). I'm going to check it out using two Demo DVDs I have and also play some HD videos I have downloaded (showcase videos) by tomorrow and post my experience.

Also got the Harmony 525. I did add Xtreamer as a device in that and yet to setup a task using it. So far, I have setup two tasks (Watch TV and Play Xbox 360) and both of them seem to be working just fine. Need to explore more about Harmony 525.
Thank you for your quick responses guys.

Remote range is really bad even with my harmony and sometimes i have to press the on button 4/5 times to switch it on..a few others in xtreamer forums have also highlighted this problem and sometimes the unit is freezing and i have to remove the power adapter to restart,may be all this will get solved in next few firmware updates...also doesn't support any MP4 file over 2 Gb just says "invalid File".and does not recoginize FAT32 HDD had to reformat my 1TB to NTFS.

maybe xtreamer is going typical NOKIA way all the experiments on end user before bring a perfect firmware.(a co-incidence that both are European Cos:lol:)

i wanna know about dreambox are u using it?

1> Xtreamer remote doesnt work beyond ~12 ft or so. However, I'm able to use logitech harmony upto around 18-20 ft. without any problems - I have the activities created so it brings up all the devices at the same time and it works just fine

2> I have seen it froze once, when I came out of a movie and it was not responding at all. I had to power reset - this was the only time I had to do it

3> not just mp4, any file I try to run over UPNP (I'm using Windows 7) gives me "Invalid File!!" error - this comes only when the Preview is ON, with Preview off If I try to play the file, it just doesnt do anything - this is something I want to resolve first - let me know if anyone has experienced this or know the solution - whats the right / quickest way to approch Xtreamer support for this!!

4> So far its been great in terms of PQ when I tried some demo content and hi-def content - I'm yet to play other file formats and files over 2GB and see how it works

Last edited:
1> Xtreamer remote doesnt work beyond ~12 ft or so. However, I'm able to use logitech harmony upto around 18-20 ft. without any problems - I have the activities created so it brings up all the devices at the same time and it works just fine

2> I have seen it froze once, when I came out of a movie and it was not responding at all. I had to power reset - this was the only time I had to do it

3> not just mp4, any file I try to run over UPNP (I'm using Windows 7) gives me "Invalid File!!" error - this comes only when the Preview is ON, with Preview off If I try to play the file, it just doesnt do anything - this is something I want to resolve first - let me know if anyone has experienced this or know the solution - whats the right / quickest way to approch Xtreamer support for this!!

4> So far its been great in terms of PQ when I tried some demo content and hi-def content - I'm yet to play other file formats and files over 2GB and see how it works

Ketan if you read my post nowhere i have mentioned about UPNP MP4 files over 2 gb just wont play anything below 2Gb mp4 is playing perfectly

about remote if yours is working @ 18/20 feets than you are lucky cuz i have seen posts in this forum & also few other forums inculding Xtreamer forum that there is a problem with remote range:rolleyes:

maybe the problems would get solved in the new SDK due in sept otherwise overall its a great unit PQ is better than WDTV and SQ is just awsome (may be a little less vol but is very good viz WDTV which i have been using from last 6/7 months)

Last edited:
Atlease dont belive these bidding in ebay india ... manipulators from company will show it sold at abt 9600Rs which is real price if you order xtreamer directly :)

surprisingly its been shiped fro Hongkong and buy ot now price is 10990/-for a product available for 9990/-

overall its a great unit PQ is better than WDTV and SQ is just awsome (may be a little less vol but is very good viz WDTV which i have been using from last 6/7 months)

Noking, can you let me know how you had analyzed it? Did u compare the same scene using WD and Xtreamer? Any screen grabs?

I am really curious to know it, bcos I am considering buying a WD or Xtreamer for my bedroom

Noking, can you let me know how you had analyzed it? Did u compare the same scene using WD and Xtreamer? Any screen grabs?

I am really curious to know it, bcos I am considering buying a WD or Xtreamer for my bedroom

MBR,i have compared both on a 42" LG plasma tv with PIP side by side and found XMP colors to be deep and SQ was checked on my 606 found XMB to better sorry dint carry a camera but will post a few pics in my next post pics which i have captured with my camera on a 120" PJ screen.
regards

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back