WDTV Killer is here!

nfsfan

I've long been contemplating on buying a WDTV or making a HTPC, but have not been able to decide.

Was just browsing through avsforums, and found this. I'm gonna get one for sure now!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155845
XTREAMER HD Media Player - Cheap & Powerful - Page 2 - AVForums.com

Official site :
Xtreamer Media Streamer

The Xtreamer therefore performs several unique advantages over competing media streamers :

(1) unlike the WDTV - the Xtreamer has both wired/wireless lan connectivity at 802.11n standard.
(2) unlike NMT - the wireless USB Antenna is to be at 802.11n - much stronger and stable signal than any USB dongle in the market. (patent pending) .
(3) Unlike the WDTV - it can work as an external HDD 2.5" enclosure. (not a must have but nice to have)
(4) Unlike the Asus O|Play the xtreamer use more advanced chipset. the Asus use Realtek 1073 and Xtreamer is based on the more advanced 128X ( the X stands for specially designed chipset made for this project only - from the 1283 series). please note an important enhancment to our realtek based unit : its supports NTFS read\write as well as SMB. your unit will be able to be accessible from your PC and files would be able to be copied\downloaded\streamed with no problem via your wire\wireless USB and your USB the device supports 2 USB extentions that alows it to connect to 2 extrenal USB HDD + the additional one inside (as an option).
(5) Unlike the WDTV or Asus the xtreamer supports 23 languages including full 100% OSD, GUI and Subtitles for each.
(6) The Xtreamer has an incorporated full NAS capability based on its UPnP abiity. a user can access and stream all his media library even from the internet by simply designating his unit a friendly name ( Yourname.xtreamer.net) . the integrated DDNS and NAS are both free and installed from factor .
(7) the Xtreamer comes with full NTFS SMB and FTP full read/write capability
(8) special effort was done in utilizing the xtreamer to support 1080p and MKV. Thus our labs tests shows more than 95% competability to MKV files
(9) our staff was collecting data for month in various warez blogs and platforms so as to enable greater competability to as many file formats and codecs as possible ([*websites removed*]) we dont recomend nor we will support by anyway downloading illegal media or protected intelectual property content of any kind.
(10) the Xtreamer is bundled with YAMJ like software that was designed to be easier for "regular" user while retain support for both media search and an automatic movie info file generation from various platforms
(11) the Xtreamer is supporting DTS audio and has acquired all licenses from Sisvel , DTS, Dolby labs and Divx)
(12) the Xtreamer supports an Auto WIFI Scan and an Auto UPnP detection from factor.
(13) The xtreamer is designed mainly for Windows PC vista and XP users and linux users (mac support is scheduled for Q3 2009)

Source: Xtreamer Official Forum • View topic - what Xtreamer is all about ???

Connectivity

* WIFI
* UPnP SSDP
* UPnP AV
* NTFS
* LAN

Web services

o Video : YouTube, Picasa, Yahoo Video, CNN, NBC Today, CBS Face the Nation and more
o Audio : Live365 Radio, iPodcast, Radiobox, ABC News, BBC Podcast, CNN News , Indiefeed, Jamendo
o Photo : Picasaweb
o RSS feed : Yahoo! Weather, Yahoo! News, Yahoo! Xchange, MSNBC News and more
o

+

Media files supported

* Video containers:
o MPEG1/2/4 Elementary (M1V, M2V, M4V)
o MPEG1/2 PS (M2P, MPG)
o MPEG2 Transport Stream (TS, TP, TRP, M2T, M2TS, MTS)
o VOB
o AVI, ASF, WMV
o Matroska (MKV)
o AVC HD
o MOV (H.264), MP4, RMP4
o FLV- Flash Video
* Video codecs:
o XVID SD/HD
o MPEG-1
o MPEG-2
+ MP@HL
o MPEG-4.2
+ ASP@L5, 720p, 1-point GMC
o WMV9
+ MP@HL
o H.264
+ BP@L3
+ [email protected]
+ [email protected]
+ [email protected]
o VC-1
+ MP@HL
+ AP@L3
* Audio containers:
o AAC, M4A
o MPEG audio (MP1, MP2, MP3, MPA)
o WAV
o WMA
o FLAC
o OGG
o

* Audio codecs:
o Dolby Digital
o DTS (DownMix supported)
o WMA, WMA Pro
o AAC
o MP1, MP2, MP3
o LPCM
o FLAC
o Vorbis
* Audio pass through : DTS, Dolby Digital, DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR, Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus
* Photo formats : JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF, HD JPEG
* Other formats: ISO, IFO, FLV, RM, RA, RAM
* Subtitle formats : SRT, SMI, SUB, SSA, IDX
* Streaming formats : RTSP, FLV

Chipset

* Realtek 128X (Special Edition)

Memory

* 256MB DDR SDRAM, 32MB Flash

Audio/Video outputs

* HDMI v1.3a (up to 1080p)
* Composite Video
* Stereo Analog Audio
* S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio

Interface

* 1x USB 2.0 slave
* 2x USB 2.0 host
* Internal SATA

Network

* Ethernet 10/100
* WIFI USB Antenna 802.11n (optional)

Power

* 12V DC, 3A

Dimension

* Width 10.5"(180mm) x Depth 1.25" (32mm) x Height 2.25" (82mm)
* Weight
* 2.2 lbs (1Kg)

Package Content

* Xtreamer (HDD not included)
* 100~240V Power Adapter
* 1.5M length HDMI cable (optional)
* WiFi 802.11n USB Antenna (optional)
* Audio & Video Cables
* Remote Control with 2 "AAA" batteries
* USB Slave cable
* Quick start guide

Dolby Digital: "Dolby" and the double-D symbol are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories. Manufactured under license from Dolby Laboratories.

Source :XTreamer Support System :: What are the technical specifications of the Xtreamer?

Just tried to order it(a dummy order), and it was 100 euros. 20 euros for shipping, and it was 20 euros irrespective of number of pieces. Maybe we can buy it wisely!
BTW whats the import duty for such items? I am planning to get one while the offer lasts!

Last edited:
Sounds really wonderful, I am glad we now have a product to kick WD TV. I was scared nothing was coming up. Lets wait and watch how good the product really is :)

The specs are very good. Does it support AAC 5.1? (this is a PAIN in WD TV)

Another interesting product from iOmega.

Multimedia Drive: Screenplay Multimedia Hard Drives

I like the composite input option in this. Will help record cable/VCR outputs. Costs around USD 200 (inclusive of 1TB HDD). Some drawbacks though; does not support flac,H.264 HD needs a supporting software to play and HD output is max 720P; no 1080P output.

Another interesting product from iOmega.

Multimedia Drive: Screenplay Multimedia Hard Drives

I like the composite input option in this. Will help record cable/VCR outputs. Costs around USD 200 (inclusive of 1TB HDD). Some drawbacks though; does not support flac,H.264 HD needs a supporting software to play and HD output is max 720P; no 1080P output.

the picture has artifacts - is expensive - output 720p - basic media browser front end with no support for movie information download from imdb - problems playing 720p rips even at times - no mkv support - does not work with Mac OS

the picture has artifacts - is expensive - output 720p - basic media browser front end with no support for movie information download from imdb - problems playing 720p rips even at times - no mkv support - does not work with Mac OS

Yes buddy I know it has drawbacks. I was listing another new comer in the market.

By the way anyone in this forum has seen or used the Xtreamer? I too thinking of buying a good source and might as well go for this.

Please comment.

I m very keen to know how reliance gives so many offers....:licklips:

spiro dude even members/reader of digit magazine could order the iomega player for cheap - problem was it had absolutely no takers with a redundant frontend and no support for som eimportant media types.

But the logitech remotes going cheap at Reliance should have many takers including me......:eek:hyeah:

Which " so many offers"? In fat it is nowhere near vijay sales...Reg this iomega - i think it is flopped in the market so price is dropped!

It computer industry it is a comman practice.In thakur mall nr Dahisar Chk naka I saw one HCL mileap tablet @ Rs 15 K .. Year back the launch price was Rs 35 K!

But prices of LCD's in Reliance are on higher side IMHO!

There is huge markup on computer accessories. This is the reason retailers can offer discounts. Reliance is still making enough profits to keep this on the shelves.

Have anyone ordered from the Xtreamer? I'm unable to find any reference in their site about shipping to India. Do they ship to India? Anyone tried?

Did not find any reviews on Indian sites but Xtreamer.net site has a forum and found a good thread which talk about the product. Might be helpful for people who are planning to buy this.

Xtreamer Official Forum • View topic - User Reviews, Impressions, Tests in HERE!!

A good source for initial feedback!!

The product does not seem to be doing that well. People have major problems with the fan noise :)

I just read somewhere that this is a test product from MVIX, which will launch MVIX MCE. Xtreamer will be availalble online only, whereas MCE will be on the market shelves.

The product does not seem to be doing that well. People have major problems with the fan noise :)

I just read somewhere that this is a test product from MVIX, which will launch MVIX MCE. Xtreamer will be availalble online only, whereas MCE will be on the market shelves.

Thanks Dude
I though why not sell my WDTV and find someone who will get X streamer from US

No othe competing product? Someone saying ASUS is launching something..any links?

Back