Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player - a HTPC replacement??

Dear FM,
I have a WD TV Live which I bought from US. I had connected an external 1TB WD Elements portable HDD (non powered) and was able to watch movies music etc. But for last 10 days or so WD TV Live is not detecting the 1TB WD Elements though I am able to connect the same to my Laptop for transferring the files. I tried resetting the WD TV Live but that did not help.
Please help. Thanks in advance.
:sad:

Mukti

Dear FM,
I have a WD TV Live which I bought from US. I had connected an external 1TB WD Elements portable HDD (non powered) and was able to watch movies music etc. But for last 10 days or so WD TV Live is not detecting the 1TB WD Elements though I am able to connect the same to my Laptop for transferring the files. I tried resetting the WD TV Live but that did not help.
Please help. Thanks in advance.
:sad:

Mukti

Did you try connecting any other USB device/hard drive apart form the 1 TB Elements Hard drive? Is that only for this hard drive or it odes not detect any USB hard drive? Try to update the firmware in WD TV and check if it is detecting the USB hard disk.

My Asus O Play Mini has stopped working. I flashed firmware, the blue light on it stays on and I don't see the red light at all. The remote has new batteries and the green light on it blinks when i press any key on it but nothing moves on the player. I guess it is done.

friends

i bought wd tv live on olx without remote assuming that i can operate through mobile app. however initially for setting home network and firmware upgradation the remote is necessary. is there any way through which i can access setting of wd tv live, please guide.
sorry for diverting the subject

uttam

friends

i bought wd tv live on olx without remote assuming that i can operate through mobile app. however initially for setting home network and firmware upgradation the remote is necessary. is there any way through which i can access setting of wd tv live, please guide.
sorry for diverting the subject

uttam
You can use any of your friend's remote who also is using WD TV.
By the way, where in Maharashtra do you stay? If in Pune I can share my remote for the purpose.

@mukti1684, I used to face the same issue with my WD TV Live not detecting a 1TB WD Elements SE drive. For some reason the drive gets detected after I delete the hidden .WDTV folder that the player creates on the HDD.

You can use any of your friend's remote who also is using WD TV.
By the way, where in Maharashtra do you stay? If in Pune I can share my remote for the purpose.
@pradeep
Bro,

thanks a lot for your kind gesture. As i am not in Pune its not possible to use your remote. I live in Ratnagiri and its hard for me to find here . any way thanks a lot . I am trying to find out one

with regards
uttam

@mukti1684, I used to face the same issue with my WD TV Live not detecting a 1TB WD Elements SE drive. For some reason the drive gets detected after I delete the hidden .WDTV folder that the player creates on the HDD.

Thanks. let me try that today when i head back home from office.
Cheers

I also use WD TV and I also faced the same problem - after few weeks of usage the WD TV did not recognize my 1 TB WD portable hard disk. Tried all the tricks but it did not work. Even PC was not recognizing it. Perhaps the driver of the HD got corrupted. So I had to reformat it - re download / copy all the movies etc and use it.

Now Western Digital has customer-care E-mail address [email protected]
Pl.send mail & ask for solution.

I have done the same, as my WDTV Live started converting media files into empty folders after I updated firmware to latest version. I am awaiting their reply.

In the mean time I rolled back to previous version & solved the problem.

Thanks Bro. My HDD is working with WD TV Live after i deleted the .wdtv folder.
Cheers.:D

I have shortlisted two media players

WD TV and Minix 8x plus.

Please help me choose between the two. I want the player to play flac, flv, mkv, m4a, avi formats and also a descent streaming capability for youtube etc.

Anyone here using the new Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player?

WD TV HD Media Player ( WDAVN00 )

Combined with a My Passport portable drive (sold separately), this player is the most convenient way to play HD movies or user-generated videos, listen to high-quality digital music and show high-resolution slideshows of your family photos on your TV. Also works with popular USB drives, and digital cameras, camcorders, and portable media players that can be recognized as mass storage devices.

This device in now available in India for Rs.8000.00

First of all, Please accept my apologies if My experience was already discussed earlier:

As I already spent a bomb on my Home theater setup, I kept a tiny miny budget for a HDD player.

For Several years I researched HDD players from Asus to WD to iomega to roku to Xtreamer and the unknown Chinese brands, since my TV do not support .mkv and .mp4 formats, Years passed and Somehow I did not fine any value for money HDD player, yes WD Live TV hub (with 1TB) drive came down under 10k then the technology changed, we saw PC stick but none showed any value for money proposition. I decided to try the PS3/Xbox but again you have to crack it lot of bugs. Last year my patience went off My youtube account expired in my TV I could not use Youtube anymore.

I tried research some smart blu ray players, then I zeroed between sony and LG and on an offer I picked up the LG bp450 LG BP450 Smart 4 in 1 Player - Streaming Content / 3D Blu-ray Disc / DVD Player / CD Player - LG Electronics UK. This plays youtube, mkv and guess It has a 7.1 setup and it plays flac files too, its a boon for all hi-fi lovers....

@pradeep
Bro,

thanks a lot for your kind gesture. As i am not in Pune its not possible to use your remote. I live in Ratnagiri and its hard for me to find here . any way thanks a lot . I am trying to find out one

with regards
uttam

Did you get to finally working this out? If not get a USB keyboard and connect to the player and you will be able to configure the player...

When we connect the width live media player - hdmi to tv, optical to amplifier, I can hear output both from TV and my speakers connected to amplifier. I have read somewhere in the thread that I can switch off the TV...but doesn't that mean, not all data is going to the amplifier and some of it is lost to the TV? I have a Marantz stereo amplifier and use wdtv media player amplifier configuration to listen to music....

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back