wharfadale powercube 12 subwoofers

capriconous

Has anyone used wharfedale powecube 12+ subwoofers? I am looking for some more info on this subwoofer series as in how do they differentiate in terms of technology compared to others of their times or today. Any cues on this is highly appreciated.

I am planning to add one of this to a room with around 3000 cft, running a denon 2414 receiver and defenitive tech pro cinema 800 package with a Jamo 200. Objective is to add enough SPL for bass via a two sub configuration.

Has anyone used wharfedale powecube 12+ subwoofers? I am looking for some more info on this subwoofer series as in how do they differentiate in terms of technology compared to others of their times or today. Any cues on this is highly appreciated.

I am planning to add one of this to a room with around 3000 cft, running a denon 2414 receiver and defenitive tech pro cinema 800 package with a Jamo 200. Objective is to add enough SPL for bass via a two sub configuration.

Not sure if you have read the below information available over Google

These are more than 10 year old models, it would make sense to settle for something that is current and works well based on today's media content. It will also be easily repairable

I have one currently. Was using it recently for movies in a ~2000 cft room just behind my MLP. I would say it is neither fast nor too powerful, but does an ok job for bass extension when using with bookshelf speakers. It will most likely sound very dull in a 3000 cft room, especially if placed well away from the listening position.

1661716531449.png

These are more than 10 year old models, it would make sense to settle for something that is current and works well based on today's media content. It will also be easily repairable

Thanks @efernand1 for the information. Yes later I could pick up a pdf from one of the old archive websites. The above is the info from there.

This is the sub PC 12+. I am running a jamo 200 with def tech pro cinema package currently and the idea was to augment or replace with this. They have so many models under various names. The sub I am looking at is a used one and comes at a decent price of 12k as well.

Input sensitivity is a number which I couldnt comprehend much and it is talking about line level input here. 300mv for a 100w signal and the sub is rated for 150w. How would this value differ for a sub out from AV receiver? I am running a denon.

Some comparisons were done with higher output amps in reviews which output 250w rms. PC12+ with its 150w would just give enough bass for the 3000 cu.ft room.

So I am wondering what will happen when we add 150w of PC12+ and 100w of Jamo. My AV receive has two sub pre-outs. So output I am covered. I guess wherever PC12+ can cover those frequencies will add together with Jamo assuming both are in phase, and the frequencies either of the subs can do alone will be of low volume levels.

What could be a reasonable amount of wattage required assuming we are looking at ported down-firing or front facing subs, for a 3000 cft room?

My listening position is easily 15ft away from the sub which is postioned right next to the TV.

Lastly would there be a huge perceivable difference when we go from say 30 to 20hz or below that?

Thanks everyone for their valuable inputs.

Last edited:

So SPC12 and Powercube 12+ are different. PC12+ as we saw in the spec above is only 150w RMS. SPC one could be a newer model possibly.

Input sensitivity is a number which I couldn't comprehend much and it is talking about line level input here. 300mv for a 100w signal and the sub is rated for 150w. How would this value differ for a sub out from AV receiver? I am running a denon.
Input sensitivity refers to the minimum line level voltage that is needed to produce the specified output. In this example, 300mV input is needed at minimum to generate an output power of 100 watts. You may need to refer your AVR manual to see if the line level output voltage is specified in it for the sub outs. That will give you an idea of how much power you can expect from your sub. On the other hand, the 150 watt is the maximum output power of the sub amplifier regardless of the input voltage level.

Just for comparison, the line level output voltage of a PC audio card (in-built or dedicated) is approximately 2Vrms.

So when we say max power isn't that the PMPO which is usually around 2x of the RMS power? I was thinking 150 being rms of the sub, it can do transients till 300w. So where is the headroom accommodated in this calculation, I am hoping thats above the 150w RMS point.

So here is some real-world info for us to discuss further with some context.

I purchased the sub from seconds market yesterday. So now I have it connected with denon 2313CI and here are some measurements, approximately at 17ft distance. I was powering this space with a Jamo 200. Jamo was clearly playing audible bass as low as 18 or 20hz. It might be due to the sealed down-firing design. Where as the wharfadale pc12+ being down-firing and ported at its resonant frequency at around 40hz gives a steep roll-off.

What I observe compared to Jamo is a more clear and more controlled bass. However, at 17ft it just touches the experience of good strong bass. Gunshots are decent, not earth-shattering. The sub is cut at its highest frequency and def tech procinema 800 with its neodymium drivers definitely play down to 100 hz range that is giving a decent overlap to the overall experience. The sub wasn't used for a year so I am keeping it running on test bass sounds to see whether any sound signature changes over the next few days.

I am able to see that at the listening position from the ref, the audio level max we get is -27db at 51 Hz. Relative to that at another 20db less the sub plays at 35hz. Not sure what is the ref 0db position it is looking at. Unable to relate to that part.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-08-29 at 4.03.14 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-29 at 4.03.14 PM.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 4
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back