Wharfdale 9.1 to MA BR2 upgrade ?

Niki

Looking to upgrade from Wharfdale 9.1(Marantz PM7001 amp) to MA BR2.
Makes sense ? Or shd I be looking at larger speakers like the 9.5's ?
Confused.Welcome suggestions.

Looking to upgrade from Wharfdale 9.1(Marantz PM7001 amp) to MA BR2.
Makes sense ? Or shd I be looking at larger speakers like the 9.5's ?
Confused.Welcome suggestions.

MA BR2. are well reputed for music.I heard wharf spk with yamaha amp & did sound sweat.

the MA BR2 is much more detailed than your warfedales 9.1
its a definite UPgrade (speaker wise)

however the problem i see is your amp
A marantz with MA BR2 !! - i hope you listen to "chamkila" music!
the highs will get irritating!

i would advice these speakers but not advice this combo unless you hear it and like it.
Also do not hear just one song- please try auditioning for an hour to notice if you feel fatigue

With the marantz amp i would look at PSB,KEF,Quad
if youve got a 20k budget i would look no further than the PSB B25 with this amp or a MS 906i or the KEF IQ10

if youve got 30k get the JAmo C405 : i would bet this woul go really well with that amp

BTW : whats the budget

Last edited:

i would advice these speakers but not advice this combo unless you hear it and like it.
Also do not hear just one song- please try auditioning for an hour to notice if you feel fatigue

if youve got a 20k budget i would look no further than the PSB B25 with this amp or a MS 906i or the KEF IQ10

if youve got 30k get the JAmo C405 : i would bet this woul go really well with that amp

PERFECT suggestion, i replied and deleted it as you have hit the dot to the T.

Magma,

The Marantz amps I've listened to are all smooth sounding, not bright at all. Which models are you referring to when you say the sound will be fatiguing with high frequencies?

Thanks v.much.
Shall give the C405 a listen - fits my budget of 30k.
BTW what amp would you recommend with the MA's ?

Nikki

What are you missing in the 9.1s? Low end bass? Or soundstange depth and imaging? If its just low end will a sub suffice?

Regards

Thanks v.much.
Shall give the C405 a listen - fits my budget of 30k.
BTW what amp would you recommend with the MA's ?

now the higher model MA(e.g the silver series or the BR5)may go with the marantz though i find them a bit bright too.

for the MA BR2 i would look at NAD and denon for budget amps
if you gonna spend more than 40K then there are other choices too.

Ajinkya
im not say marantz as an amp is fatiguing ( in fact i belive its a clean detailed amp) however paired with the BR2 or maybe even a tannoy its a different story

The diamond 9.1 is an excellent pair of speakers. From the Marantz series, I have paired it with the basic PM4001 to the PM15S1 Reference amp. It did have its limitations but the sound was always smooth and fluid. So I wonder why you want to change the speakers in the first place. If you want an even full bodied sound, why not add the excellent SW150 to it?

If you have taken decision to upgrade, some models worth considering are Usher S520, Quad 12L2, B&W DM602, MA RS1, KEF iQ3 etc. These could be substantial upgrades but might not fall into the same price range.

Cheers.

exactly what I meant. If you are spending more than 20K it better be a substantial upgrade otherwise its as good as throwing your money out of the window.

Regards

The diamond 9.1 is an excellent pair of speakers. From the Marantz series, I have paired it with the basic PM4001 to the PM15S1 Reference amp. It did have its limitations but the sound was always smooth and fluid. So I wonder why you want to change the speakers in the first place. If you want an even full bodied sound, why not add the excellent SW150 to it?

Unleash_me

What in your opinion are the limitations of the 9.1 ? I use the 9.2 and would like to compare notes.

Regards

Unleash_me

What in your opinion are the limitations of the 9.1 ? I use the 9.2 and would like to compare notes.

Regards

Hello Gobble,

I flelt that mine were a bit shy on bass, so while upgrading my HT, I moved the SW150 to the 9.1 hifi setup at that time. With a lil tweaking, the sound was near perfect! My Holly Cole and Clair Martin disks approved of the same :)

Sorry I'm not familiar with the 9.2s.

Cheers.

Yeah thats why I went for the 9.2s. Its got 6.4' drivers and goes down to 45hz and saves 20K on a sub :)

How do you find soundstage and imaging with the 9.1?

Cheers

If you have taken decision to upgrade, some models worth considering are Usher S520, Quad 12L2, B&W DM602, MA RS1, KEF iQ3 etc. These could be substantial upgrades but might not fall into the same price range.

Cheers.

Completely agree with Unleash here. Most budget speakers around this price point sound bright and artificially crisp. The diamond 9.1 somehow avoids this anomaly by having a smooth tweeter which is not hyper revealing. Moving to a bronze series MA speaker is a horizontal upgrade. You need to spend lots more to get a meaningful upgrade over this speaker.
The MA will sound different not better.

Hello Gobble,

I flelt that mine were a bit shy on bass, so while upgrading my HT, I moved the SW150 to the 9.1 hifi setup at that time. With a lil tweaking, the sound was near perfect! My Holly Cole and Clair Martin disks approved of the same :)

Sorry I'm not familiar with the 9.2s.

Cheers.

Hey Unleash

Do you have a single volume control for your amp+sub or do you have to adjust separately?

Regards

So when you play amp at low volumes is there an imbalance when low frequencies kick in?

Regards

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back