Wharfedale 10.5 or 10.7, paired with Marantz PMKI Pearlite or NAD C 356 BEE

josh_operator

I am considering the following options for stereo music system ..

1. NAD C 356 BEE with Wharfedale 10.5
2. Same NAD amplifier with Wharfy 10.7
3 and 4. The Wharfy 10.5 or 10.7 withMarantz PM KI Pearl lite

Room size 15 by 18, listening tastes Rock (excluding hard rock), Hindi films, pop...

DAC to be deferred for the time being, lot of music on iPhone, iPad too..., normal Sony CD player...

Request for advice...is there a better combination possible than above...

I am considering the following options for stereo music system ..

1. NAD C 356 BEE with Wharfedale 10.5
2. Same NAD amplifier with Wharfy 10.7
3 and 4. The Wharfy 10.5 or 10.7 withMarantz PM KI Pearl lite

Room size 15 by 18, listening tastes Rock (excluding hard rock), Hindi films, pop...

DAC to be deferred for the time being, lot of music on iPhone, iPad too..., normal Sony CD player...

Request for advice...is there a better combination possible than above...

Wharfs are are not punchy but if you go with NAD356BEE,Whose low frequency range is solidly and nicely straight-edged. Top of that the NAD is WARM in nature and Wharfs are soothing in nature.........go blindly! I have auditioned this amp several times with Wharfs.........NEVER BE WRONG

Thanks Maxprocrj and Mpw...I may add that I have moved to Ahmedabad and had auditioned the Marantz PMKI and Marantz 7004 with Wharfedale 10.5 at Denny's during my visit to Delhi. Later, they told me that the Marantz amplifiers were not in stock and offered the NAD alternative. Thus the question.

I may add that I have a Bose Wave radio which i normally use with iphone dock and was almost ready to buy the Bose stereo system when my visits to this forum has enlightened me about the endless possibilities in the music listening world. I am now aware that I will have to add a DAC to this combination...can't audition here in Ahmedabad and thus the buying decision will be based on guidance from the audiophiles here,,,

Looking for guidance, if there is a fundamental flaw in my approach, am ready to be corrected...

I'm using NAD C356BEE (80Watts, Torroidal) with Wharfedale Di9.5. It's over a month old and total playing time is approx. 80-100 hours. My previous int. amp was Marantz PM7001 (70Watts, EI).

IMHO, if you are comparing the performance of NAD and Marantz that you have outlined, NAD is more capable to drive the Wharfedale Diamond 10.5 due to the extra 10 watts power (also higher damping factor). However, as per my listening impression with my Di9.5, the NAD still lacks that extra boost to drive the 6.5" kevlar out of the cabinet (even the 9.4 that I have).

If you are power hungry (like me), might as well pick up the NAD C375BEE (150Watts) int. amp. or go for the pre-power combination of NAD C165+C275 (150watts).

Trust your ears and POCKET as the biggest factor in your decision.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back