Wharfedale 220 or 210 - Which one to buy

How to find out the decibel level(SPL) which i am listening from my stereo speakers.
I am sitting 8 feet from the speakers. My speaker sensitivity is 86 db.
I have downloaded SPL app in my phone and trying to capture the sound from the speakers around 8 feet distance , it was display something around 60-65 db. Is that correct SPL values.
Just curious to know what will be the ideal SPL for listening. I mean a causal listening and not heavy bass music.

I have downloaded SPL app in my phone and trying to capture the sound from the speakers around 8 feet distance , it was display something around 60-65 db. Is that correct SPL values.
Just curious to know what will be the ideal SPL for listening. I mean a causal listening and not heavy bass music.

Given that the mobile microphone may not be accurate and might show understated values, the reading shown can be taken as approx values..

When playing stereo on AVR, on dB scale, i hit -20 dB to -15 dB (from reference level of 75 dB), which is roughly the same as the SPL reading on your mobile.. This may vary from room to room..

Given that the mobile microphone may not be accurate and might show understated values, the reading shown can be taken as approx values..

When playing stereo on AVR, on dB scale, i hit -20 dB to -15 dB (from reference level of 75 dB), which is roughly the same as the SPL reading on your mobile.. This may vary from room to room..

For the below amp power required calculator , what will be the input for Desired level at listener distance. I am giving input as 86 db same as my
Loudspeaker sensitivity rating. Then the Required Amplifier Power is 12 watts.

https://www.crownaudio.com/en-US/tools/calculators#amp_power_required

Ideal SPL is tricky and as mentioned by elangoas this will vary from room to room.

In terms of simplicity it is better to get a powerful system for the room so you can enjoy good playback at desired volume levels...which pleases your ears and listening tastes....

If you get a system which is not powerful, you will end up cranking the volume almost full to hear good playback which may then sound distorted and jarring.....

As for me, i didnt get too technical for systems, basic check on amp delivery power, impedance and speaker sensitivity and frequencies matter....that works for me then to adjust as per the room i have. It works just fine with enough of power available should i feel the need to blast the music for an occasion without any fear of jarring or muddy sound.

Its very interesting to learn some thing technical on audio components :)

All my basic query is , Why to spend for an amp with more power ( > 30 W) , when you can achieve the same SPL with less power AMP.(12 W).

Very True....hence besides getting too technical....if you audition the amps you have in mind at the dealers place, more or less you will be able to understand if it will suffice your room requirements or not.

Some of us prefer being conservative and prepared and hence would even have a big amp or avr for a 200 sq ft area.

End of the day its all on personal preferences and choices based on a variety of factors....

How much is the price difference between the amps? More is good :)..

Again, Brand plays role of deciding the price with respect to watt power. Other than Norge, I can see most of the MNC brands prices are much expensive even there is some small difference in amp power.

Again, Brand plays role of deciding the price with respect to watt power. Other than Norge, I can see most of the MNC brands prices are much expensive even there is some small difference in amp power.

Hard truth is that there is a big disparity w.r.t pricing here.. Hence, hard to relate watts with price..

Be wise to choose a brand that is sensibly price according to your opinion..

Hope you will soon buy "Norge" amp. What about spk?

Be wise to choose a brand that is sensibly price according to your opinion..
Do we have any thread ,listing entry/mid level pricing of Amp/Speakers in our HFV forum. Because right now Hifimart is the only source , which i am referring for prices and spec wise.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back