Wharfedale 9.5 Speakers - Actual User's Review

mvasu22

I just got my speakers delivered and have connected them up. I purchased a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 series tower speakers for my stereo listening room. The speakers are in brown colour which is to my liking since all the other furnitures are also the same colour.

I had auditioned earlier Onkyo, Elac, Klipsch and Wharfedale for over a month before saying yes to the 9.5 series.

So let me get straight to the matter:

I do not have equipment to test the figures what the manual says but anyway these were the inputs which I worried about.
1. Power 30-150W
2. Nominal Impedance: 6ohm
3. Sensitivity: 88dB
4. Crossover: 140Hz, 2.2kHz

The actual power is really good though I mainly listen to Karnatic classical and regional film music with some 80s English. The other genres I listen are Elvis Presley, Simon & Garfunkel, Cliff Richards, and Jon Denver etc. The actual playing of these songs I get a really good feeling that I have put my money in something which is nice.

Cost: Cost wise, these speakers are in the mid-range since the 2 speakers have cost me Rs.32K (Speakers+Cables) while the Klipsch Rf62 costs around Rs.62K, Elac costs Rs.46K and Onkyo costs Rs.16K. The Onkyo one is a very basic one and was auditioned just to see what is offered in a basic model. The Elac sounded good till I heard Klipsch.

Klipsch (from now on it refers to Klipsch refers to Klipsch Rf62) had a fantastic performance but I got a feeling that there was more synthesized output than the Wharfedale speakers. I tried a couple of vocals (Hariharans Ghazal, Yesudas Iyyappa Song, Elvis and finally Mozarts eine kleine nachtmusik) with all the speakers. The wharfedale did actually deliver the same vocals without much electronic construction though the output power is a bit lower than klipsch. I mean to get the same volume from both the speakers; the AMP volume had to be set a little higher (say about 6dB) for the wharfedale speakers.

I did not find any difference in the sensitivity expect that when there were some high frequency involved, Klipsch recreated the sound much better but the metallic nature was present. The actual throw of the Klipsch has a wider range owing to its higher power.

Next I move on to the cabinet quality, I found this oval design of the diamond series speaker a bit more aesthetic than the normal rectangular cabinets of the rest. Not much of joints are seen, there are a few on the edges but are not noticeable unless you go really close to the unit.

I am still working on the placement and angles, but I find that if I leave around 1.5 feet gap between the wall and the speaker you get a good reception that too for a small room. The speakers come with floor spikes so it helps in removing a lot of vibrations sent to the floor without them. Currently the delivery of the vocals which I have played gives me a concert feeling, I have put a small carpet and some thick curtains in the room.

What made me choose Wharfedale:
1. The actual reproduction of the Vocal voice
2. The comfort or soothing sound at low input levels
3. Cost
4. My preference to non-ear hitting music like Jazz (Sorry this is not to offend anybody).

For those who require higher power and more bass in your music, well this set of speakers would not satisfy your needs. I would recommend Klipsch Rf52/62

I hope this review is helpful to you guys in some way and feel free to get back to me on any specific clarifications.

Thanks
-Vasu

Nice review!,give more info on the perfomance if u can.where did you buy it from anyway!

Last edited:
Hi Vasu,
In link to bold text below, request your response to following:
1. Is the bass of 9.5 loose / tight compared to Klipsch Rf52/62?
2. Is the bass to treble ratio equally balanced between 9.5 and Klipsch Rf52/62?? or the bass appears more dominant in 9.5?

Thanks in advance,
Sonosphere

Bold text in quote below, highlighted by me.
I just got my speakers delivered and have connected them up. ....

For those who require higher power and more bass in your music, well this set of speakers would not satisfy your needs. I would recommend Klipsch Rf52/62

I hope this review is helpful to you guys in some way and feel free to get back to me on any specific clarifications.

Thanks
-Vasu

Congratulations !!!!! What amp/avr did you pair with ? Also what is the cost of speakers alone... .

Enjoy your new Stereo setup...

Congrats, very nice speakers. But...

ttiwwp.gif

Hi Vasu,
In link to bold text below, request your response to following:
1. Is the bass of 9.5 loose / tight compared to Klipsch Rf52/62?
2. Is the bass to treble ratio equally balanced between 9.5 and Klipsch Rf52/62?? or the bass appears more dominant in 9.5?

Thanks in advance,
Sonosphere

Bold text in quote below, highlighted by me.

Answer:
#1 The bass is a loose with the 9.5 when compared to Klipsch, the reason why I say you need klipsch for music such as Jazz that need the lower frequencies.

#2 The 9.5 offers a better and balanced Bass/Treble ratio. The klipsch has a more higher treble which sort of creates an artificially louder sound at higher frequencies. Some prefer that while I choose to have a balanced speaker rendition.

Hope this answers your querries.

Nice review!,give more info on the perfomance if u can.where did you buy it from anyway!

There is only one person who sells Wharfedale in Chennai. Its a shop in Arcot Road just after Shekar Emporium named "Grand Cinemas". The phone number is (044)43587565.

Congratulations !!!!! What amp/avr did you pair with ? Also what is the cost of speakers alone... .

Enjoy your new Stereo setup...

I have paired it currently with Onkyo TX-SR307 but will shortly be disconnecting this AVR and buying a stereo amp. This is because I would be shifting the 5.1 Onkyo AVR to a different room.

The speakers come to Rs.30200 (after Vat, Taxes), bought cables @ Rs.290 per mt, forgot the brand but some imported cables at 16 gauge. 14 gauge cables available @ Rs.90/mt.

Do let me know of some good stereo amp.

I have paired it currently with Onkyo TX-SR307 but will shortly be disconnecting this AVR and buying a stereo amp. This is because I would be shifting the 5.1 Onkyo AVR to a different room.

The speakers come to Rs.30200 (after Vat, Taxes), bought cables @ Rs.290 per mt, forgot the brand but some imported cables at 16 gauge. 14 gauge cables available @ Rs.90/mt.

Do let me know of some good stereo amp.

Previous msg was edited and PM'd to the OP...

Last edited:
@Kittu-let him enjoy the momment dude!,everyone here is aware of the damage but just dnt want to be the spoil sport!.anyway innocence/ignorance is bliss!.

@Kittu-let him enjoy the momment dude!,everyone here is aware of the damage but just dnt want to be the spoil sport!.anyway innocence/ignorance is bliss!.

Well actually it was not a spoiler. Thanks for editing it anyway.

I went back and checked the bill again, I had made a mistake in furnishing the correct data. The bill included Rs.2500 Belkin Spike Buster also and hence the 30K figure. This item was not listed but I paid for both, so the confusion. Now the actual figure now comes to Rs.27500 and so am very much releived.

Thanks any guys ...

Also the speaker is just awesome to say, dont have any regrets in not going for the Klipsch RF62.

By performance (see the bold words) what do you mean, kindly elaborate so that I can furnish the same. I have no problems but am not sure what is your expectations.

Thanks
-Vasu

Well actually it was not a spoiler. Thanks for editing it anyway.

I went back and checked the bill again, I had made a mistake in furnishing the correct data. The bill included Rs.2500 Belkin Spike Buster also and hence the 30K figure. This item was not listed but I paid for both, so the confusion. Now the actual figure now comes to Rs.27500 and so am very much releived.

Thanks any guys ...

Also the speaker is just awesome to say, dont have any regrets in not going for the Klipsch RF62.

ALL IZZ WELL . :rolleyes:

Congrats, very nice speakers. But...

ttiwwp.gif

Have attached the pics, sorry for the image quality ... had to use my mobile camera instead of my SLR due to transfer time/Image resizing.

Attachments

• phpXAPbNuPM-Updated.jpg
    phpXAPbNuPM-Updated.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 407
  • php9eYHeOPM.jpg
    php9eYHeOPM.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 402
  • phpIq8NiZPM.jpg
    phpIq8NiZPM.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 400
  • phpVn7cMkPM.jpg
    phpVn7cMkPM.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 398
thnx 4 da pix vasu!.....what colour is it called anyway?.will be pickin up my 9.5 tommorow morning!!!!!!!!!!

thnx 4 da pix vasu!.....what colour is it called anyway?.will be pickin up my 9.5 tommorow morning!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry dont remember it, but I think it is rosewood finish. There is another one in Black. Only 2 options were given to me.

Anyway hope you got yours, sorry missed to check the thread.

Yup got mine on saturday:) (beech colour)sounds great,good imagng,nice tight bass,sweet highs but feel the mids can be better! maybe its my onkyo avr thats the bad link here!.gotta try usng my nad amp n cdp:).right now usng some local made thick cables!though they sound good i Have to use the cables frm acoustic research i bought along!.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back