Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary Ltd. Edition Speakers (Hidden Gems)

Managed to break out early from office today, and took the opportunity to visit Helium at his den in late afternoon. Luckily, today was his 'off' and think, most likely got him off his ritual afternoon nap. It happens, Helium is attached to a BPO of a well-known computer MNC ... so, gets his quota of regular night-shifts. In other words, is a pucca night-bird.

Currently, he has two pairs in use ... one, a vintage B&W DM4 and the other, a spanking new Denton. Both connected to a vintage Sansui 317 (Speaker A & B) through an amp built-in selector switch.

The Sansui 317 needs no introduction ... was one of the top-of-the-line amps in its days (80s) ... 50W/ch @ 8 ohms ... high current integrated amplifier. I would, to this day, buy blind in case I can get hold of a seller hiving off his Sansui AU 717 or 919. Sansuis are also known for their excellent bass output.

Now, it is this 'bass' which, in my observation could not be reproduced correctly from the Dentons. The mid-woofer was behaving odd. There was bass boom and it was grossly interfering with the mids. This was only happening when the music was bass heavy. Otherwise, the Denton's performance on the mid-centric music with the usual highs were very good indeed. Possibly, the Sansui was a mis-match with the Dentons.

In stark contrast was the DM4s .... beautiful SQ with the Sansui. Very pronounced lows with good decay, excellent mids and highs, with an open airy feel to the music. Helium informed that the DM4s was 1970s manufacture ... that makes them pretty vintage stuff! With the Sansui amplification at work, the DM4s ate alive the new Dentons!

So, the possible causes for this difference could be ....
1. The Dentons have not broken-in as yet ... just 2 days old.
2. The Dentons being rear ported, need better placement with more open space from the rear wall. The DM4 is front ported, so little or no placement issues.
3. The Sansui amplification is a bit too laid back for the Denton. A brighter amp might be more suitable.

A big thanks to Helium to invite me over on his 'off' day, at such a short notice. Its a joy to meet people who are so engrossed with their music. Incidentally, he is looking for a buyer for his vintage multi-driver Akai speakers which were mated to 2A3 tubes (sold now).

Thanks Avidyarthy for your impression. Glad to have a music lover at home. I worked on the feedback and repositioned the speakers so that the boom was gone. We had primarlarly come to enjoy Dentons. I agree that Sansuis warm signature was taking away the sparkle from the music. Maybe if I can get my hands on a high current Marantz amp, then it would shine. Denton are excellent speakers make no doubt of it! It was only when we compared it with the vintage B&W, then I agree there was no comparison at all. That I always knew;). I have heard very expensive setups and I observed that with might and power it takes away the sweetness and emotions rendered in the music. The B&W are top of the line BMWs. :p

The Denton's as per my observations,
1. Will require a high current amplifier to drive due to its low sensitivity. The Rega will be a perfect match for the Denton's
2. Low freq requires balance overall and i found the low freq bandwidth to be inadequate with more emphasis on the lower end rather than the band.
3. Mid-bass was lacking due to masking by the over emphasized mid-range. The mid-range could be fatigue prone and would sometimes be not suitable for long listening sessions if not paired with a suitable amp.
4. High freq was clean and precise compared to the mids with lot of detailing.
5. Finish and build quality is superb and it has such a small footprint that it can fit easily on any size room. I would love to have them as an extended speaker in my bed-room.

Sir,

The sensitivity is pretty much like the Dynaudio's. You're right they would need a bright and not too bass heavy amplifier. It has a velvety midrange which will be further enhanced with sparkle by an amp like Marantz.

When I saw, felt and heard they the first thing that came to my mind was 'Quality, Quality & Quality'.

helium
CA 640c V2 / SB Classic + Sansui AU-317 + Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary LE / Vintage B&W DM4 + Pure Silver cables= Music

post some pics helium.. would love to see these ( not on hifimart ) but in a home setting. are these on stands ?

mpw

post some pics helium.. would love to see these ( not on hifimart ) but in a home setting. are these on stands ?

mpw

I'm a lazy bag of bones:p. Yup their on stands. Will make the effort for music lover friends..

I have already seen that.
I meant how is their performance (SQ) compared to similarly priced BS. Like 9.1/10.1/10.2 etc. I am sure you have heard other brands as well :)

Thanks

I found that the Dentons did most of the things right. Each speaker has it own strengths and weaknesses, you'll have to discover the speaker with which you can live with:indifferent14:. I have not heard 9.1/10.1/10.2.

helium
CA 640c V2 / SB Classic + Sansui AU-317 + Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary LE / Vintage B&W DM4 + Pure Silver cables= Music

@viola-no!the denton and diamonds are Not similiar priced! The diamonds are budget superstars while the dentons are a range higher overall!

Guys as promised here is the picy setup...

helium

Last edited:
Heliumflight took great effort to come over to my place today and we got the hear the Dentons and Jamo Concert 8's side by side on the Cambridge Audio Azur 840a. It was an interesting comparison. Will write more about it in a few moments once I have uploaded photos :)

Here's Helium's Denton's with my concert 8's :)

YK9sk.jpg

More pics here

Last edited:
Preferring the Denton look over the Jamo ... without the grlls on, it has an old world charm about it! SQ-wise, dunno how it would match up to the vibrant d830s. It was beaten blue black at Helium's in a brief side-by-side with a vintage B&W DM4. Maybe, the amp, a Sansui 317 did not find the right match with the Dentons then .......

Ok, I guess it's time to write out our experience with the Dentons.

Speakers: Wharfedale Denton 80th & Jamo Concert 8
Amplifier: Cambridge Audio Azur 840a
Interconnects: Bogdan audio low capacitance silver coated OFC with Eichmann bullets for the concert 8 and Lyrita + a german make silver IC for the Dentons
Sources: CA 640c and Xonar STX
Speaker Cables: THX Monster collaborative OFC for Jamos and Jamo OFC 20 gauge for Dentons

Objective: To assess Denton's performance on Cambridge Audio Azur 840a

Observations:

When I first saw the dentons, the first thing I noticed was the thickness of the rubber ring around the woofer, it was indicative of a high excursion driver. This automatically told me it would have an interesting kick to it's lower midrange. Once hooked up, I was not surprised. They had the same kick to it's sound as the Jamo E700 bookshelves I once had which also had high excursion woofers, pictured below:

fxckk1.jpg

I would not call the Denton's warm, but I would call them..soft with a kick.
It's a relaxing laid back type of sound which performs everything it's thrown at in a not too warm but warm enough to make them listenable many hours. However with that softness, is lost some defining qualities of many genres of music. 'Texture' for example is audible as texture but it's not totally transparent.. in the sense of being able to make out the "type" of texture. If that confused you, read the sentence again because the difference is subtle but it can make or break a speaker for many genres.

On that note I would not suggest the Dentons for electronic or house or lounge or large orchestral music. I would suggest it for Piano, Guitar, Harp and solo vocal music. Jazz for example is quite nice on the Dentons, songs like "hotel california".... but not electronic music like the Blade Runner Soundtrack where detail and textures all have their own individual types.

The Denton + CA840a combo is nowhere near as warm as the ca 840a + b&w cm9 and paradigm monitor 9 or Avidyarthy's ATL's made by Hari Iyer combos, which is a good thing. The Jamo concert 8 when compared against the Dentons lack that high excursion kick to the sound...but the price difference of 2000 USD is very audible in every other aspect of the Jamo's sound. Which is why I am not writing much about "Denton VS Concert 8" but more "Denton & Concert 8" as a reference point.

In regards to soundstage the Dentons are like a Jack in the box, they're a small to medium sized bookshelf speaker but have a soundstage as wide as the Jamo concert 8 and Hari Iyers ATL's. My previous floorstander Jamo e875 had a much narrower soundstage compared to all the three above.

Now regarding the 840a's ability to drive the Dentons, I think it's a matter of preference. They have no issue driving the denton's. Details are present, midrange is nice and thick, transparency is at par with Hari Iyer/Avidyarthy's ATL's, midrange is fun, absolute low end bass is not there as is with all medium sized bookshelf speakers. Note ABSOLUTE low, not saying it has no bass. But the question that determines if an 840a is suitable as an amplifier for the Dentons or not lies in the question if the listener prefers the ca840a's "soft" sound signature which is typical of British sound, or would one want more sparkle in their music, in which case I would point at a marantz or a denon class AB amplifier.The CA840a - which is better for taming bright speakers in this case is closer matched with the Jamo concert 8's given the CA840a's non bright sound signature.

For example when we did zone A(concert 8) to zone B(Denton) one could automatically notice there was an airy sparkle and residual tonality in the concert 8's which was missing in the Dentons, by missing I mean not present at all, not even with ones ears at the drivers level. Granted the Dentons are USD 800 vs the Concert 8s which were almost USD 3000 but my point is perhaps pairing these Dentons to a slightly brighter amplifier might allow it to produce that little extra sparkle if the listener wants it.

I think that covers most of the important parts. Any questions feel free to write below.

Last edited:
Preferring the Denton look over the Jamo ... without the grlls on, it has an old world charm about it! SQ-wise, dunno how it would match up to the vibrant d830s. It was beaten blue black at Helium's in a brief side-by-side with a vintage B&W DM4. Maybe, the amp, a Sansui 317 did not find the right match with the Dentons then .......

Well that's because they were designed keeping in mind old world charm! Where as the Jamo's are more like a specific designers vision.
It's like comparing a vintage ford mustang to a newer chevvy camaro when it comes to looks. Both have their individual qualities :)

As far as SQ, they are fairly incomparable so we only used the Jamo's when needed as a reference.

The dentons need a lot of power fed to them before they open up, this I can tell you.

Last edited:
Hi did you place Dentons during listening?It makes lot difference.

This was how they were set up.
PesGR.jpg

The cabinets are almost as tall as the stands at Helium's place, here below:
8172d1347862067-wharfedale-denton-80th-anniversary-ltd-edition-speakers-hidden-gems-whaferdale-denton-80-anniversary-le-b-w-dm4.jpg

Helium's main objective was to determine sound signature with the ca840a which turned out to be quite adequate and well detailed.
All he has to do now is try them on a brighter amplifier to see what the Denton's sound like with a not so soft sound as the ca840a.
Then we'll know if the sansui vintage amp truly needs to be swapped for something else or not.

Last edited:
Thanks,I can still say,if they were on stands(ear level)details would have been more.I experienced it with another speaker last time.:)

Thanks,I can still say,if they were on stands(ear level)details would have been more.I experienced it with another speaker last time.:)

Actually contemplated putting them on stands but the concert 8's are very heavy and I had one foot in the grave and other on a banana peel because I was actually working while also listening with helium and helium has been told by the doc not to lift heavy weights due to health issues so we kind of just let it slide.

BTW the photos are somewhat misleading, everything looks much shorter and more spread out than they do irl. My room looks HUGE LOL.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back