What all cables would I need for HT

iajay

Hi All
Sorry for this noob question, this is my first experience with setting up a HT
I have decided to get Yamaha RX-V683 + WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 220 5.1 HOME THEATRE PACKAGE
I will connect the following
1) Tatasky 4K box
2) XBox or PS4
I know I will need speaker cables. What are various good options for these?
I will need around 30-50 feet oneside for the rear speakers. For the LRC I would need around 6 feet each
Can I use Amazon basic 14AWG cable for rears and some other better brand for fronts? If yes then which brand?
What about other things that I might need like HDMI cables etc
Regards

1. One HDMI from AVR to TV / Projector (For video...to see the stuff)
  2. One HDMI from Tata Sky to AVR
  3. One HDMI from Xbox / PS4 to AVR (please check if it is coaxial/optical output and HDMI or..etc)
  4. Amazon Basics will work just well...lots of brands out there.....14AWG or even 16 AWG will do as minimum....ensure that it is proper Copper..I use Thailand made"Soundstream) which was purchased from Lamington Road (Associated Cables). Use same brand....
  5. Depending on what other components you want to connect, check those components and get the cables accordingly...
Get a power surge protector to connect the AVR and other critical components....just in case your location faces powercuts or disruption

Look at DAC or Finolex speaker cables also. It boils down to the budget.

1. One HDMI from AVR to TV / Projector (For video...to see the stuff)
  2. One HDMI from Tata Sky to AVR
  3. One HDMI from Xbox / PS4 to AVR (please check if it is coaxial/optical output and HDMI or..etc)
Do we need any specific standard cable, considering the 4K Tatasky and XBox. I have read about hdcp 2.2, do I need to worry about this? Or would the normal HDMI cable that came with the tatasky box work?

Get a power surge protector to connect the AVR and other critical components....just in case your location faces powercuts or disruption
Can you suggest one?

Look at DAC or Finolex speaker cables also. It boils down to the budget.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will check

Consider MX speaker cables, if you want to take cost effective route.. They should be aval in your city (or) bigger electronic store in your city..

If you prefer the convenience of online, then yes amazon.in basics cable (or) one of this would suit you.. https://www.amazon.in/16AWG-Enhanced-Oxygen-Free-Copper-Speaker/dp/B009EADB2Q/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1522994204&sr=8-18&keywords=speaker+wire&th=1

100 ft wire should be more than enough..
Thanks for the suggestion. So I can use amazonbasic 14AWG for surround and the MX or C&E 14AWG for the front.. correct?

Look at Blue Rigger HDMI latest cables available on Amazon...that would do......

Power Surge protector....many brands...all depends on your budget....Monster is good so is Belkin......

So should I check for HDCP 2.2 standard or is it just for secure 4K content... little confused
This is what I read
HDCP 2.2 is a technology designed to prevent illegal copying of 4K Ultra HD content. Every link in your video chain must support HDCP 2.2 — your TV, video source, and any component the video signal passes through. ... HDMI 2.0 is also required for TVs and components to be able to pass 4K video

Also regarding power surge protector I was thinking stabilizer :) Do you think a surge protector would be enough
I already have Invertor and UPS

I believe it should be enough......minimum HDMI version is 2.0 and hope all components you own are compatible or are of the same version.

Thanks for the suggestion. So I can use amazonbasic 14AWG for surround and the MX or C&E 14AWG for the front.. correct?

You can use one brand itself for all the speakers.. Either MX (or) C & E.. Those are 100 ft roll.. Cut the wires for your surrounds first as they would be the longest.. with the remaining wire , you can connect the fronts & center..

Important thing about subwoofer cable : The longer, the better. The subwoofer is best positioned after " subwoofer crawl". You can see the video on youtube.

The speaker cables - Gauge depends upon the distance you want to run and speaker impedance. You dont want to spend excess/ spend low on cables. I bought C&E 14awg speaker cable from amazon. It was made in china with wrong spellings over the rolls. But the quality, thickness was good. I didnt measure the impedance though. Its working well. I used amazonbasics speaker cable for the floorstanding speakers since its only for short distance and its less pricey and more than enough for the distance i ran the cable.
HIGH END EXPENSIVE CABLES arent worth it. Just buy the one appropriate for the impedance and distance. C&E for the rear 50 feet speakers and amazonbasics for the front floor standers. Below is a chart for reference.

http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/cables/speaker-wire-cable-gauge/49

Banana plugs : I personally didnt use and not recommend using banana plugs.

My amazonbasics HDMI cable stopped working after a year. Amazon refunded my money on the grounds of "1 year warranty" for the cable. You should definitely go with a bluerigger cable with lifetime warranty.

Important thing about subwoofer cable : The longer, the better. The subwoofer is best positioned after " subwoofer crawl". You can see the video on youtube.
So do you mean even if I keep the sub near the AVR then also a longer cable is preferred? Or longer cable is usefull for the subwoofer crawl?
Also a very basic question. Can I use speaker cables to connect the sub or are the subwoofer cables different?

The speaker cables - Gauge depends upon the distance you want to run and speaker impedance. You dont want to spend excess/ spend low on cables. I bought C&E 14awg speaker cable from amazon. It was made in china with wrong spellings over the rolls. But the quality, thickness was good. I didnt measure the impedance though. Its working well. I used amazonbasics speaker cable for the floorstanding speakers since its only for short distance and its less pricey and more than enough for the distance i ran the cable.
HIGH END EXPENSIVE CABLES arent worth it. Just buy the one appropriate for the impedance and distance. C&E for the rear 50 feet speakers and amazonbasics for the front floor standers. Below is a chart for reference.

http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/cables/speaker-wire-cable-gauge/49
Thanks .. the link was helpfull

Banana plugs : I personally didnt use and not recommend using banana plugs.
OK

My amazonbasics HDMI cable stopped working after a year. Amazon refunded my money on the grounds of "1 year warranty" for the cable. You should definitely go with a bluerigger cable with lifetime warranty.
Thanks for the suggestion. Would the HDMI cable which came with the TATASky 4K box not work?

So do you mean even if I keep the sub near the AVR then also a longer cable is preferred? Or longer cable is usefull for the subwoofer crawl?
Also a very basic question. Can I use speaker cables to connect the sub or are the subwoofer cables different?

Thanks .. the link was helpfull

OK

Thanks for the suggestion. Would the HDMI cable which came with the TATASky 4K box not work?

Buy a longer subwoofer cable. The subwoofer crawl is for positioning the subwoofer.

There is no difference in buying ultra expensive HDMI cables vs Normal branded HDMI cables.
There is difference with unbranded cheapo HDMI cables vs Normal standard HDMI cables. I tested them and found significant differences in the image quality.

For speaker wires, use polycab 2 core 2.5 sqmm wire. Don't buy anything exoctic and waste money.

Buy a longer subwoofer cable. The subwoofer crawl is for positioning the subwoofer.

There is no difference in buying ultra expensive HDMI cables vs Normal branded HDMI cables.
There is difference with unbranded cheapo HDMI cables vs Normal standard HDMI cables. I tested them and found significant differences in the image quality.
Thanks for the suggestions

So you mean to use electric wires??
Two core 2.5 sqmm or 4 sqmm. They are better parameters of Z, R, C,X compared to German Belden, Gotham or Sommer cables parameter wise. The only reason they are still affordable is they are not marketed as speaker cables in India as the market is not there here. The moment they do so, it will be expensive by 25 times the current price due to ignorant and crazy Audiophiles.

So for the matter any electric cable wwould do?? I have used finolex electric wires in my house. Can I use finolex electric cables 2.5sqmm

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back