What are the best speakers you have heard?

i am very new to home audio. i have heard B&W 685 floorstanders. i think it was an Onkyo theater amp. and the source was a lovely Cambridge Audio CD player.

music i heard was michael buble. was a lovely experience.

this was at a small audio store in Kolkata.

Strange - but I seem to like speakers that use T & P's Accuton Drive units !!

LOL Bhagwan we know that! You are the same guy who had Tidals right?

On a more serious note, I've always had a hankering to try to DIY with Accuton units but their cost and rumours about how didfuclt they are to crossover have kept me away.

DIY Speakers made by FMs(In no particular order, all are special in their own different ways)
Rajiv's Horn Speakers based on Altec drivers
Anilva's BLH based on Fostex 206e driver
Suri's witches of Ecstacy with his TL sub integrated
Sreekanth's TQWL floor standing speakers

@santhosh: are these single driver implementations?

I recently heard the Audire iO2 with the 4 inch Fostex, single driver full ranger and I was mighty impressed. The coherence coming out from the speakers was amazing, and the LF extension was surprisingly deep for a 4 incher! though the setup was less than optimal.

Can someone guide me on a single driver back loaded horn DIY that a noob like me can attempt? I specifically need as much lower freq extension, and am open to sub reinforcement.
Joshua

Shouldn't the question be qualified with a budget tag? I mean "best speakers under $1000" or "best speakers under $3000", etc. Also, I think it should be with a practical usage in mind, e.g., home theatre. Now, I am sure that not all of us are not rich enough to have a dedicated 50' x 25' movie hall or thereabouts. So there is no point on raving about a $15,000 a pair speaker that can yield 500W of power per channel, etc.

Sorry to be "the spanner in the works". :)

Shouldn't the question be qualified with a budget tag? I mean "best speakers under $1000" or "best speakers under $3000", etc. Also, I think it should be with a practical usage in mind, e.g., home theatre. Now, I am sure that not all of us are not rich enough to have a dedicated 50' x 25' movie hall or thereabouts. So there is no point on raving about a $15,000 a pair speaker that can yield 500W of power per channel, etc.

Sorry to be "the spanner in the works". :)

Sir,

Excellent point;

However, certain basic things need to be addressed :-

a]
Topic - What are the best speakers you have heard ?

There is no Price Qualification here - if the Topic Creator had put a price qualification - US $'s 1000/- or US $'s 3,000/- etc. I would have offered my suggestions in accordance.

b]
How I wish those speakers costed US $'s 15/- K
I would have purchased them in all the colours / finishes - that too without asking for a single cent in discount....trust me - I say the truth !!!

c]
Speakers do not yield Watts - They need watts to be driven.
They deliver SPL - that is measured in dB [Decibels]

d]
The Surrontec has a speaker that is listed @ 250/- K Euro
The Marten Coltrane II is listed @ 100/- K Euro
This is just for your kind information....

e]
Yes, they do need 'big' rooms for them to play 'appropriately.
The Surrountec needs a 400 sq. ft. room & The Marten Coltrane 2 needs a 300 sq. ft. room to play well. It is installed in Mumbai in a 250 sq. ft. room & plays OK - I think !! :clapping:

Sir,

Excellent point;

However, certain basic things need to be addressed :-

a]
Topic - What are the best speakers you have heard ?

There is no Price Qualification here - if the Topic Creator had put a price qualification - US $'s 1000/- or US $'s 3,000/- etc. I would have offered my suggestions in accordance.

b]
How I wish those speakers costed US $'s 15/- K
I would have purchased them in all the colours / finishes - that too without asking for a single cent in discount....trust me - I say the truth !!!

c]
Speakers do not yield Watts - They need watts to be driven.
They deliver SPL - that is measured in dB [Decibels]

d]
The Surrontec has a speaker that is listed @ 250/- K Euro
The Marten Coltrane II is listed @ 100/- K Euro
This is just for your kind information....

e]
Yes, they do need 'big' rooms for them to play 'appropriately.
The Surrountec needs a 400 sq. ft. room & The Marten Coltrane 2 needs a 300 sq. ft. room to play well. It is installed in Mumbai in a 250 sq. ft. room & plays OK - I think !! :clapping:

sir
with due respect , shouldn't the 'bigness' of big rooms be measured in volume (cubic feet) instead of sq. ft?

ok guys tell me with my 38s mark levinson pre, 7st bryston mono blocks and moon cdp 1.0, will the monitor audio platinum bookself be a good pair as i have to decide on the speakers and if not then which speakers will.
bg1957

sir
with due respect , shouldn't the 'bigness' of big rooms be measured in volume (cubic feet) instead of sq. ft?
But moktan, I have come across usage of sq.ft very often not just by Bhagwan....even many reviews. Guess a ceiling height of ~10ft is assumed.

Most mentions have been stereo usage so far. Allow me to add multichannel to the mix.

The best HT speakers I ever heard was (and is till date) M&K. Previous best was an Onkyo THX Ultra set. M&K bested it by a huge margin. It was being driven by Parasound Halo pre-power. It blew me away with it presentation and imaging immediately.

The sound was so good, I wanted to buy every thing on the spot. But my wallet didn't allow me. Luckily, I had enough dough for the speakers, so bought them instantly. Driving them with a Denon now. Reference class sound on a budget :clapping:

sir

Again - 100 % correct.
Space for audio is always cubic feet.

However, we assume a standard 10 to 11 feet to be ceiling height in most cases.

So 3000 ft cube or 4000 ft cube is OK for speakers of this kind.

p.s. If the ceiling is 15 feet the floor space cannot be reduced - please do bear in mind - cause these speakers need space behind them & on the sides for them to play well !!
6 to 8 feet behind is preferred & 4 to 5 feet on the sides is preferred.
More is always better !!! :p

ok guys tell me with my 38s mark levinson pre, 7st bryston mono blocks and moon cdp 1.0, will the monitor audio platinum bookself be a good pair as i have to decide on the speakers and if not then which speakers will.
bg1957

With due respect - how are we to know ?
The Pre is yours - with you in your possession - the same goes for the power amp & the CD Player.
The Room too is yours.

So the only person that can decide is you !!

Call for 4 to 5 speakers to your place.
Listen to them in your chain....
Decide on the one that suits your need;;;;

That is all I can suggest !!

p.s. My Old Amplifiers were the 7B SST's
I used to have the Moon Eclipse CD Player & the P-5 Pre from Simaudio - several years back & the 38S is a great pre - never owned it - but it was shortlisted by me before I had purchased the X-1 from Pass Labs [all were demoed before I purchased what I got] - so most of your gear is known to me.

However, I do not know your room - size - placement - materials in your room - space from rear & side walls etc.
Musical Taste ? What kind of music to you listen to ??

Without all this info - how can a speaker be suggested to / for you ???

:rolleyes:

However, we assume a standard 10 to 11 feet to be ceiling height in most cases....

in Mumbai that would be 9 ft. na?

The Marten Coltrane 2 needs a 300 sq. ft. room to play well. It is installed in Mumbai in a 250 sq. ft. room & plays OK - I think !! :clapping:

Something tells me a pair of Coltranes are heading towards your apartment?:eek:hyeah:

in Mumbai that would be 9 ft. na?

Something tells me a pair of Coltranes are heading towards your apartment?:eek:hyeah:

No Sir !
I liked the Coltran 1's more.
The 'Best' Speaker that Lief makes - imho - is the Momento.

This Coltrane 2 is in Mumbai - plays with Vitus & is nice - but not what I would have loved. I still like my TAD - more [much more] !!!
:clapping:

i feed less data to the ear to be happy , but so far my visits to lucky chaps with amazing speakers the Diy towers of shreekanth[was a member here a while ago ..] were the best

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back