What are the best speakers you have heard?

Looks familiar but am not sure now (18 years is too long a period). Also i recollect this head phone was sounding very different when i connect the Sony TC-FX44 tape deck to my Sony TC-AX44 amplifier and connectng the headphone to the amplifier. May be this was due to the power amplification by the amplifier.

Only if i connected the headphone directly to the headphone output of the tape deck it sounded mind blowing. So i belive there is a lot to discover in the source and the corresponding amplification that comes inbetween. I am not sure is it because of the minimum signal path for the tape deck or the wrong design of the Sony Amplifier which took away the punch from the head phones (i am still pondering about that experience).

Has anybody listened the Ascendo speakers (a German brand)? How did you like it?

Yes - I have - several times - In Germany & in India.
Their top line models were installed in Ahmedabad & Jaipur.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

They are nice products & Jurgen is a talented designer.
Met him for the 1st time in Frankfurt - 2003. Ascendo was 'new' then !

Wow, did you set this up? Can't seem to understand the power amp.
Just wondering, if the sitting is too close because the center piece table seems to be very close. Also are the speakers too far apart or is this due to the photograph? Clue us into the sonics of this system.
Are there 2 cd players? for different genres of music?
Appreciate your response.

Wow, did you set this up? Can't seem to understand the power amp.
Just wondering, if the sitting is too close because the center piece table seems to be very close. Also are the speakers too far apart or is this due to the photograph? Clue us into the sonics of this system.

Sure;

Pre was Lyra [Japan]
Power was Soulution - Swiss
CD Player was [a] Meridian 808i.2 Bow Technologies ZZ Eight

The set was really nice - I liked this sound.
The Speakers are almost 13 + feet apart & 8 feet from rear wall.

The room was nice - rather large - too much treatment was done by the owner - I did not like that, all said the sound was great....:clapping:

This will show the amp to you - I guess...

Yes;

2 CD Players were there.

They were for 'audition'

The person wanted to choose the player that he liked.
So, music was played from the players & then a choice was to be made.

This is How the set up was like - before I started work on it;;;

Hi,
Bhagwan that is a real change in before and after. 13+ feet and such close seating, wow again. What made you put the speakers so far apart and sit so close? How large is the room?
What ideas and principles like CARDAS or others were applied for this?
Speakers more than 8/9 feet usually have a center hole and bad imaging,how was this compromised?
8 feet from rear wall is a lot, a loss in bass would be inevitable, was this a compromise also?
Could you please tell us how you did this, as it would be very educational for the rest of us.
Please accept my apologies in advance for so many questions, but I am really exited about this unconventional looking setup by you

Hi,
Bhagwan that is a real change in before and after. 13+ feet and such close seating, wow again. What made you put the speakers so far apart and sit so close? How large is the room?
What ideas and principles like CARDAS or others were applied for this?
Speakers more than 8/9 feet usually have a center hole and bad imaging,how was this compromised?
8 feet from rear wall is a lot, a loss in bass would be inevitable, was this a compromise also?
Could you please tell us how you did this, as it would be very educational for the rest of us.
Please accept my apologies in advance for so many questions, but I am really exited about this unconventional looking setup by you

This was the listening position :-

Hope the picture helps - if not, I will write & explain all.

It shall be a pleasure-no bother...:)

Sir,

Why is this 'un-conventional' ?
I did not understand - please do shed some light !!

p.s. There was no 'hole' in the centre - 100 % I can assure you.
Also image height & size - were appropriate - imho....

Hi

Wow.That is a big room. Size?
The seating is more distance than what I thought, that resolves misconception of close seating. I thought it was a table, but it is something else on the floor.
Unconventional because of the 13+ feet of distance.
What about bass loss due to the 8 feet distance especially in such a large room?
Still I am curious how you came by this positioning, what theories and principles did you use?
Thank you for sharing this setup info in advance.

Hi

Wow.That is a big room.

Unconventional because of the 13+ feet of distance.

What about bass loss due to the 8 feet distance especially in such a large room?

Still I am curious how you came by this positioning, what theories and principles did you use?

Thank you for sharing this setup info in advance.

Yes;
This is a 'big' room - 600 + sq. ft. [if I remember correct]

Yes, we were 13 feet + cause the room is 19 + feet wide - I think. 3 feet was the space on the sides - so that leaves about 13 in the middle - approximate - give or take 6"

There was no bass loss.
This Ascendo is a Band Pass Enclosure with 2 Eton [German] woofers in the 'box' [again - I am not sure - but so I remember] !

I have stopped using all 'principles' while I set up. I used to & now, I just use them as a 'guide' to show me where to start.....
From there - I start playing with 'moving' to a point that I get the 'bass' in 'place'
Once that happens - all the rest is 'tweaked' [toe in - stage height - width - etc.]

Sir, the final answer is what I like & what the person [who owns the system] likes....
I take the system to a particular level & then I let the owner of the system tell me what he likes & I fine tune it from there on....
So that the set up is down his alley - that is most important.....

p.s. Always a pleasure to share set ups / have many more - just need the right place to discuss them...

p.s.s. Several pages back - where I wrote about my favourite speaker - Surrontec [Germany] - they were 15 ++ feet apart - I think - if not more...

Yes - I have - several times - In Germany & in India.
Their top line models were installed in Ahmedabad & Jaipur.

They are nice products & Jurgen is a talented designer.
Met him for the 1st time in Frankfurt - 2003. Ascendo was 'new' then !

The Ascendo model, which I plan to audition is their entry level floorstander C6. It's sensitivity is 88.7. Can it be tried with 15 wpc push-pull tube amp? Their higher end models are not affordable for me and also may be overkill for my 14.5 ft x 11.5 ft room.

The Ascendo model, which I plan to audition is their entry level floorstander C6. It's sensitivity is 88.7. Can it be tried with 15 wpc push-pull tube amp? Their higher end models are not affordable for me and also may be overkill for my 14.5 ft x 11.5 ft room.

Yes;
I like most of Jurgen's Designs.

Here is his entry level model from MOC @ 2009.
It was the top 3 sounds of the show for me then.

p.s. Do see how wide they were placed.......

These are now sold in India - Coimbatore - Audire i.e.
Do listen & buy.

:rolleyes:

Yes;
This is a 'big' room - 600 + sq. ft. [if I remember correct]

Yes, we were 13 feet + cause the room is 19 + feet wide - I think. 3 feet was the space on the sides - so that leaves about 13 in the middle - approximate - give or take 6"

There was no bass loss.
This Ascendo is a Band Pass Enclosure with 2 Eton [German] woofers in the 'box' [again - I am not sure - but so I remember] !

I have stopped using all 'principles' while I set up. I used to & now, I just use them as a 'guide' to show me where to start.....
From there - I start playing with 'moving' to a point that I get the 'bass' in 'place'
Once that happens - all the rest is 'tweaked' [toe in - stage height - width - etc.]

Sir, the final answer is what I like & what the person [who owns the system] likes....
I take the system to a particular level & then I let the owner of the system tell me what he likes & I fine tune it from there on....
So that the set up is down his alley - that is most important.....

p.s. Always a pleasure to share set ups / have many more - just need the right place to discuss them...

p.s.s. Several pages back - where I wrote about my favourite speaker - Surrontec [Germany] - they were 15 ++ feet apart - I think - if not more...

Hi,
600 sq ft is very big.
Thanks Bhagwan very interesting way to go about.
Principles are used as a guide only. Any calculations you prefer?
How do you get the bass in place.You measure the speaker response and move them if required?
What are the various tweaks that we can apply to better to our speakers?
Your great guidance in these matters will surely uplift the rest of us.

I agree with Bhagwan, the human ear (at least a trained human ear) is far more accurate than most modern DSPs etc.. DSPs can only give you a rough guide. The human ear will still quite a bit of understanding, R&D and Engineering to replace. The problem I believe is that most of us have not FULLY understood how the ear-brain combination percieves sound.

Hi,

I am little confused how DSP is involved in speaker optimization, when no such device is included from Bhagwan's setup list.
What interests me is how Bhagwan makes these systems sound great without any established guides and rules. I do not doubt the results, the idea of him achieving this without any guidance amazes me.
The system owner must be very grateful for the great sound that you single handedly achieved.

Hi,

I am little confused how DSP is involved in speaker optimization, when no such device is included from Bhagwan's setup list.
What interests me is how Bhagwan makes these systems sound great without any established guides and rules. I do not doubt the results, the idea of him achieving this without any guidance amazes me.
The system owner must be very grateful for the great sound that you single handedly achieved.

Sir,

Software can be used;
For set up.

I have tried it - a few times - but I have eventually gone back to 'what sounds good' to me !! Set by 'ear'

I have never used and DSP.
Actually had tried the DEQX from Australia - but was not happy with it.

If you need to know - where I start - with a set up - sure I can tell you.

I Place the speaker 1/3rd into the room [if I am allowed to]
Else, I place it 1/5th into the room [length] & start to move around from there.....

There are lots of 'ratio's that are suggested - I am sure you have 'googled' them. But, I trust what I listen to.
Besides, always do a set up in 'pairs' minimum 2 to 3 people.
Always helps. imho.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back