What cable has most influences on your systems sound?

heliumflight

Hello Friends,

I got myself Dueland 16awg speaker cables and excited to test them at thome today. In that pursuit I came up with a thought which I throw up on HFV.

· Speaker cable
· Interconnect to source
· Pre amp to amp interconnect
· Phono cable
· Power cable

HiFi Rig: Cambridge Audio Cxn + Quad 405 MK2 + Piega Classic 3.0

Last edited:
Speaker Cables :
Kimber 12Tc
Kimber 4pr
DAC xtreme
Silver hi breed
Very good result (especially Kimber 12Tc) With Monitor Audio Silver floorstanders.

Interconnects :
Murthy cables
Vdh 102
BJC

Power cable :
Rega Power Cable
My own DIY with 6sqmm Finolex
Silver hi breed

In the order of preference currently.

Invest in the best source to preamp interconnect you can get. It should as neutral as possible. I have not experimented with separates a lot so I am not sure if the pre to power interconnect is as important as the source one. The signal is active at this stage so I reckon a slightly lower priced one should work.

Speaker wires are very system dependent. The amp and speaker works as one component ( engineering point of view ) once the music start playing. Price or song and dance literature by cable manufacturers should not be the criteria. You should try and see if it works for you. I have seen cases where people have replaced very expensive cables with some simple cable suggested by the speaker manufacturer itself. And it works better!

Power cables are also system dependent. They all make the sound a little different. Try and see what works for you.

Hello Friends,

I got myself Dueland 16awg speaker cables and excited to test them at thome today. In that pursuit I came up with a thought which I throw up on HFV.

· Speaker cable
· Interconnect to source
· Phono cable
· Power cable

Rather than the speaker wire, the Speakers and amp plays a very key role. However, 16 - 14 gauge should be sufficient for most of the cases depending on the cable length. When I tried with different wires, I used to feel very subtle to no difference in the sound quality. My personal opinion though

Amongst my vdh Clearwater, Mogami, chord clearway, kimber, blue jeans and audioquest, I love my vdh the most.

If overall setup is resolving , each and every cable adds something significant to overall sound . Some little less , some suprisingly more

But they do have an influence to overall sound which is very much audible

Heliumflight, I would start with the power cables. One important thing in audio is what you lose cannot be regained.

Get the power right first. If sound is grainy or dynamics is lost,etc, you cannot get that back.

My recent observation with power cables is that a better power cable brings about more improvement on a device/gear that has a weaker power supply in the first place, and a lesser (or even indiscernible) improvement on a gear that has a robust power supply.

To add to above post: the same power cable CAN sound different for different gears so please don't restrict your trial to just one gear.

To really wanted to know the difference, so I borrowed Dueland speaker cables & Liveline Power Cord and after a week finally concluded that speaker cables make change in the presentation, whereas power chord cleans the overall sound. I know, even I didn't believe in this jargon but it is true.

If overall setup is resolving , each and every cable adds something significant to overall sound . Some little less , some suprisingly more

Totally agree.ln diy projects,even 2inch internal wire makes difference.lts tough for commercial manufacturers to maintained final sound output of hifi component.A change in capacitor(different company) even with same ratings changes sound signature.

Totally agree, even digital coax cables have tremendous affect. Cables can easily make or break a system.

Totally agree, even digital coax cables have tremendous affect. Cables can easily make or break a system.

Same thing I experienced while trying out fee different digital cables
Sound does change. Some sound veiled , some sound equally open but tonal characters change a little bit

Hello Friends,

· Speaker cable
· Interconnect to source
· Phono cable
· Power cable

Hi,

Use Siltech cables they are very good, also Transparent Speaker cables are good, it all depends on your budget the more you pay the better you get, many may raise their eyebrows on my statement but facts will not change...

I agree with your statement that more you pay the better cables you get but you see the result if the system is resolving enough
But I have even come across certain cables which are say half the price or less then certain other cables and performed much better
So in this case the construction is better maybe or the cable is more well suited to the setup

Same thing I experienced while trying out fee different digital cables
Sound does change. Some sound veiled , some sound equally open but tonal characters change a little bit

Interestingly after trying many cables, I always tend to like pure copper based cables which sound more natural to me than coated tin or silver or other alloys though all copper based cables do not sound so open with have somewhat collapsed soundstage. This goes for rca or coax or speaker cables. All non-copper based cables sound more open and most very bright to me with totally unnatural, infact I cannot stand them.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back