What cables to use inside preamp?

gobble

Hello

I'm not sure if the preamp DIY kit I ordered comes with the pieces needed for wiring internals like

1. Volume Pot to PCB
2. Input Switch selector to PCB
3. PCB to RCA
4. Chassis ground loop wire on RCAs

What type of cables would you folks recommend I buy for cleanest purest naturall'est sound? For example, do I need to use IC quality cable for PCB to RCA? If not Where can I get the most appropriate type and for roughly what cost?

TIA
Regards

For all that you've listed, you can use twisted pair from CAT5E. It's cheap, it's good quality copper, and it's pretwisted for high noise rejection.

Silver also works - we are getting locally available silver wire which is suitable for point-to-point wiring (but not interconnects, for example) @Rs. 150/6feet length. Two lengths should be enough. Use a cloth sleeving or heatshrink tube for insulation, and twist pairs together or use a copper return. Use your imagination :)

For single ground connections and low-voltage wiring, use tinned single strand hookup wire. Multistrand is a lot more work, and may be difficult to integrate cleanly with small holes in a PCB. For high-voltage wiring, use only certified mains-rated wire. Household electrical wire, 1.0mm, should be good enough all around. For B+ of more than 400V, use 1000V-rated insulation. Usually heatshrink is rated to that voltage, so double insulation will also work.

Thanks. What is a copper return? How do I shop for "tinned single strand hookup wire" in kannada? ;) Is there a local popular jargon for it?

TIA
Regards

Thanks. What is a copper return? How do I shop for "tinned single strand hookup wire" in kannada? ;) Is there a local popular jargon for it?

TIA
Regards

hi gobble,
silver for the forward run and copper for the return (TO COMPLETE THE CIRCUIT) - and some people use silver for the return - according to suresh jacob (rethm) return should be silver because the return electrons run faster!! (He was speaking of speaker cabling)

about the kannada - "YAK RI BOLIMAGA - SUMNE MATHADBEDI! - TINDU SINGUL WIRE HEYLIDRE GOTH HAGUDILWA? - YELLI SIKKATE? - NINDE THANDEGE WODSBIDTHENI! - BYE!" - you are guaranteed hookup with tinned copper wire by a mob of shopkeepers!

REGARDS

Last edited:
Hi Gobble
Sorry, I dont know how I missed this one ? Which DIY Preamp kit have you purchased ?
Thanks
Hiten

hi gobble,
silver for the forward run and copper for the return (TO COMPLETE THE CIRCUIT) - and some people use silver for the return - according to suresh jacob (rethm) return should be silver because the return electrons run faster!! (He was speaking of speaker cabling)

about the kannada - "YAK RI BOLIMAGA - SUMNE MATHADBEDI! - TINDU SINGUL WIRE HEYLIDRE GOTH HAGUDILWA? - YELLI SIKKATE? - NINDE THANDEGE WODSBIDTHENI! - BYE!" - you are guaranteed hookup with tinned copper wire by a mob of shopkeepers!

REGARDS

Thanks Suri. I've been memorizing it and practicing it in front of the mirror diligently for some time now ;)

PS: Will you be around to take the blows once they start raining down? :D

Cheers

You are obviously aware that the circuit is directly connected to the mains without a transformer, and any contact with any metal parts can injure or kill the user.

Good Luck.

hi gobble, this sounds extremely dangerous - and i think you should stop forthwith!

Gobble,
I hope it is readymade module. Don't be in a hurry to plug it in, double check everything. Dont work on live circuit. See that casing is not touching any live part of transformer or circuit board.
Hope to read review soon :)
Hiten

Gobble,

I have checked the silvercoated copper wire forgot the shop name,also belden CAT5 i have will give to you , Tin coated single strand roll made by westex is there in om electr. shop.

Finally HV insulation tubing is there too .. never worry my plan of laying down the wires is such that HV wires cant move and will maintain 4mm from each and 3mm from chasis.

Thanks for the warning folks. Kaushik is going to do it for me, as he has indicated. But I never had a clue about this so your warnings are much appreciated.

I will be building a bamboo cage enclosure suspended from the ceiling for him to work inside like the ones built for African silverback gorillas in the 1920s. :D

Just kidding :lol:

Regards

Any reason why?

P.S: BTW, nice chassis, was eyeing a similar one for myself...

He has a reputation for being difficult ...he has communicated only in one liners and 4 word sentences all along. My CC expired and I told him my friend would pay online on my behalf. He refused and stopped responding to my emails after that. Edit: .. and 2 months have gone by with no communication ...

I have no intention of renewing my CC either.

Regards

Last edited:
I will be building a bamboo cage enclosure suspended from the ceiling for him to work inside like the ones built for African silverback gorillas in the 1920s

elegant solution to preserve kaushik till he finds his woman!

Gobble,

I have checked the silvercoated copper wire forgot the shop name,also belden CAT5 i have will give to you , Tin coated single strand roll made by westex is there in om electr. shop.

Finally HV insulation tubing is there too .. never worry my plan of laying down the wires is such that HV wires cant move and will maintain 4mm from each and 3mm from chasis.

Won't Cat6 give better audio performance than Cat5? :eek:hyeah:
Just curious.

Cheers

elegant solution to preserve kaushik till he finds his woman!

And then I could refuse to let him out of the bamboo cage after that and auction him to the highest bidder. I'm sure many ladies will bid their life savings for him ... :eek:hyeah: :licklips:

Cheers

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back