What Cartridge should i go in for

eastofthesun

Hi Guys , I would like to upgrade my cartridge currently im using an ortofon rondo red . I predominantly listen to a lot of jazz, movie soundtracks and 70,s rock.

cheers!
Andy

My Current set up is

Transrotor Zet 1 TT , Transrotor Ref MC phono, Accuphase E460 , Accuphase P4200 (power) , Joseph audio Perspective Speakers, Transparent audio ultra cables, Electrocompaniet MC1 CD player.

Hey malvai , I Think around 1.5 to 2 tops.

Cheers !
Andy

I would recommend that you look at the Audio Technica ART9. It is a legendary cart and mostly popular in Japan. The world outside still has not discovered it!

You should get it for about USD $ 1k.

It is extremely dynamic and neutral.

Here is a link:
New Audio Technica MC Type Stereo Cartridge at ART9 from Japan EMS F S | eBay

If you like slightly colored tones, you could try out the ZYX bloom. This is about 1000-1400 USD.

Have you heard ZYX perhaps? I have been using the ZYX bloom which is their entry level for the past three years on and off. It needs a medium mass tonearm. Their higher models are very well regarded.

Have you heard ZYX perhaps? I have been using the ZYX bloom which is their entry level for the past three years on and off. It needs a medium mass tonearm. Their higher models are very well regarded.

No personal experience with the Bloom but the ZYX RS-50 which I used to use has a very similar signature to the London Decca Super Gold. Both are very lively cartridges, with the ZYX having weightier bass. I guess the Bloom would have a similar signature.

Other than the Denons, Shures and aforementiond ZYX, the only cart that I have experience of is the entry level Dynavector DV10x. At the levels you are considering the Karat 17D3 is well considered.

If I had a choice to upgrade my cartridge today I would probably go for a mid level Dynavector. While the ZYX is very revealing and agile, it is more demanding of everything than the modest Dynavector I spent time with.

I don't know how you think out your kit, but in my case the key is 'balance', as against a very strong performance in one aspect with compromises in others. Which is why for instance I prefer the entry level Denon 110 to the entry level Shure M97xe. The latter has more warmth, and is better at handling poorer recordings and lesser vinyl, but the Denon is more balanced and honest although unkind to some source material. Even at the much higher level that you are thinking about, there are such compromises to be thought through.

Anyhow I am keen to see how you take this upgrade forward, I can only add my two very modest bits. Bon voyage!

@eastofthesun
since you prefer a slightly coloured sound, I'd recommend the Koetsu rosewood available at a third of its MRP on audiogon.

It will give you the resolution as well a very sweet midrange. will go well with your upstream components... great tonality with your accuphase set up!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back