What do we do when our own are not for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmask

I am a "senior member" of this forum and have been for quite a while. The reasons as to why I am choosing to create an alternate identity and hide my true identity will be clear as you read further along.

Unfortunately the events of the past few days have left a bad taste in everyone's mouth along with mine. Sure things should not have happened the way they did but what happened later on was even more unexpected. A senior member like Moserw was banned and put on par with someone like manu4panjab (no offense to him). Is this the way we treat our senior members when they err? I have always believed we are a family and family can be counted on right. Moserw is a personal friend of mine through this forum. He has spents hours chatting and talking with me and many others and helped many a person on this forum. He has given more than his fair share of time, energy and effort on this forum and now he is shut out like a nobody. This is precisely why I have chosen to go this route of an alternate identity. A few well meaning members of this forum started a thread questioning the behavior meted out to Moserw and even that thread was unceremoniously closed and dumped by the moderator with words like "This is shameful conduct and totally unacceptable!". You can read that thread at http://www.hifivision.com/general-chit-chat/5901-moserw.html.

Now what is really shameful conduct and totally unacceptable is that the moderator of this forum is not even aware of what goes on in this forum. Many a time I have personally notified the moderator to delete a thread containing spam, sale, illegal content and such others. Now I know for sure all that time and effort is wasted because of the way Moserw has been treated. I am pretty certain even I would be treated the same way and probably banned and this thread closed. However one thing for sure is that less and less of my time and effort will go into this forum because at the end of it there seems to be no value associated to it. Senior and helpful members are treated like they are irrelevant, don't matter, and all their help and effort taken for granted.

More and more senior members are leaving this forum or lessening their presence here. Mostly its sellers or dealers who target and help out members who are looking to spend money while those with less budgets are left without any help at all. In such a scenario how wise is it to lose even the existing helpful members? One can hardly expect the moderator "HiFiVision" to answer any member's queries considering he is not even aware of what's happening in this forum. In fact he has to be notified to even take any action.

I am not posting this thread to show my ire because of what has happened to my friend. In fact the forum is my primary concern. Shall we let things continue this way and soon no seniors are left to help anyone? In that case why will anyone come to this forum at all? What can be done to save this forum? Let us get together and find a way to make this forum a better place and make sure it survives and thrives.

I believe this thread will be deleted or at the very least blocked but still I expect those who read this to carry on the torch. Let's do something. I will certainly speak out loud and clear for all to hear.

please move on instead of flogging a dead horse.

the ban is temporary so why all the hoopla? unless you deliberately want to start another fire?

regards

I have already said what I have to say. The forum rules are for everybody. It does not matter if you have made 5 posts or 5000 posts. I do not believe that making a certain number of posts makes a member senior. It is his/her conduct in the forum. Moser certainly did not behave like a senior member when he made those remarks. As a moderator I am pretty easy but when things get out of hand I will put my foot down.

Again, hiding behind the username "ironmask" and defending a user is not going to change things. And certainly starting this thread/post does not throw good light on your self given "senior member" tag.

I am fully supportive of the Mod's actions. I feel more comfortable that what happened to moserw could happen to anyone else including me and that leaves no bias in the judgement. What else could you ask for if you wanted to follow a sacred and straight path?

I am also of the hope that moserw comes back and gets to posting as before as he has been one of the prolific helper on this forum. RE: manu's posts, I think his first issue was the no. of threads he started for questions that had answers if he searched. The fact that people picked on that irritated him. Also I see that he misunderstood the premise of 'General Chit Chat' to mean to write about anything. I am sure you will understand there is almost no value if hte no. of posts in General chit chat is a good % of HT related posts. Thats what happened over a period of last 5 days. Thats a sign of a downward spiral in value add. There are other forums for that kind of input/feedback outside of HFV

Having said that, I am disgusted at the way the few threads degenerated in a couple of hours. That is an indication that the mod has to be watchful and do his/her job (I suspect its a he though).
I still enjoy reading posts by many people here and learn a fair bit on an ongoing basis. I am pretty confident that the quality of posts will remain as such. I will also continue to visit this forum and post on areas that I have some experience with.

Finally, I have lost respect for you in that you had to get an alias to post your opinion? Whats wrong with doing so with your original identity? There is nothing wrong with your post just your approach to it. I think it may go a long way if you limited your posts to '1' as its now and use your original ID.

Last edited:
To Respective Moderator,

Good Morning Sir,

We certain members also have said what we had to say about your working style as a moderator, please refer the earlier posts, and even the post by Iron Man, where some of the points you have not answered.

I do not think you can look at the member with 5 or 5,000 posts with an equal eye, I strongly believe that someone who is the highest poster, is surely a very senior guy. Moser's conduct is brilliant, he has always behaved like a senior member other then the rarest of rare cases, even you as a moderator, or whosoever it may be, will loose his cool at some point, so that does not take away one's behaviour with a incident.

If you had stopped Manu, with his trillions of posts, all this would have not happened. By the way i want to ask you a very important question, yesterday someone registered new in the morning and he wrote more then 25 posts in 20 minutes, and you blocked that member, you say rules are same for everyone. I think you should have not blocked that member because what is the difference between manu and this new member, as manu is also known to create more then 10 new threads in 20 minutes.

It is nice to know that you will put your foot down when things get out of hands, when manu was creating those continuous new threads at a lightining speed with lower sense, do you think you should have put your foot down at that time?

One has to hide behind a iron mask, when threads are closed, Sir, why do you not let everyone voice their opinions for what has happened?

I thank you for hearing me.

Best Regards

Vinay.

I have already said what I have to say. The forum rules are for everybody. It does not matter if you have made 5 posts or 5000 posts. I do not believe that making a certain number of posts makes a member senior. It is his/her conduct in the forum. Moser certainly did not behave like a senior member when he made those remarks. As a moderator I am pretty easy but when things get out of hand I will put my foot down.

Again, hiding behind the username "ironmask" and defending a user is not going to change things. And certainly starting this thread/post does not throw good light on your self given "senior member" tag.

i gotta agree vinay might have a point if the mod would have not let manu make a mockery of the general chit chat in the first place then we wouldn't have reached such a situation.

But i guess all is done and gone we should now just wait and hope moser takes it lightly and returns.

I fully agree with Cranky and Marsillians.

There is no civility in posting your disagreements by assuming another identity (using another Id etc) and then announcing/establishing yourself as a senior member of a civil forum. Being senior teaches us to be respectful towards the fellow members and towards the forum itself which is not justified by assuming another identity to post something. And by all means this thread itself is useless and why we are unable to forget this incident when the ban itself is temporary and also well justified for at least the posts that are under scrutiny.

Dont wish to carry forward this post but I think a moderator does his duty on whatever rules are laid down before him. He is immune to emotional, personal etc. issues. If its in rules and regulation he just follows them just like Judges in courts. This brings a system in "working of things" otherwise there would be anarchy & disorder.
Since there was no rule on no. of posts one can make manu was not banned until manu used abusive language.
I sincerely hope ban on moserw is very short
bye

Oh. Oh..

I can see this thread snowballing into another controversy.

Pls Vinay, anm .. you are senior members. You should lead by example.

The moderator is permissive and open; he encourages self-democracy.

When the postings turned poisonous and vitriolic ( of both moser and manu; read them especially moser starting the feud by calling manu a monkey from punjab); the moderator intervened.
I am sure Manu was forewarned about his posts, but many members happily contributed to his threads.. so the in a way approved of what manu was doing.

Regarding Seniority, Should our Ministers/MLAs/MPs be given freedom to do anything they want , just becos they are "senior"... are they above law??

I think the moderator should now issue frequent warnings to members, no thru pm but open to all to read.
Next is infarction and then a ban.

regards

Last edited:
.... And by all means this thread itself is useless and why we are unable to forget this incident when the ban itself is temporary and also well justified for at least the posts that are under scrutiny.

Its called post mortem and one definition of it reads "discussion of an event after it has occurred"

I have been saying this from the start of this forum, that we must have our real names as our usernames. hiding behind a username or having double identites is not ethical. Mod I leave the rest to you.

I have been on this forum for a long time ...

Last few days have just been a huge turmoil for everyone here be it new or old.

I would request all members whether junior or senior to put this discussion to rest as this is a never ending discussion and everyone is entitled for their own view and opinion, that is why we have a forum.

Rather than supporting and saying who is right or wrong.

Please answer one question were the rules broken if yes then the actions taken by the Moderator should be respected as no one is above the law.

If No, then he should be answerable for his decision.

I feel the way things are going we are not heading any where we are just increasing the no of posts and threads and no contribution is happening to the forum.

I would request the moderator to mention the time frame of the ban whatever it may be a week or more so that all members are aware when Moserw will be back and we can close this discussion as from the past few days i am only seeing the issue spread with more threads and posts but it is not getting us anywhere.

I am in 100% agreement with the mod. he's just following the rules and rules are not open to interpretation and they are the same for everyone.

I too agree 100% with Mods decision, its fair and just. Lets just close this discussion and this senior junior thing doesnt make sense. Rules are the same for everyone.

ironmask, can i ask you just one question:

Do you think any of the stuff you stated justifies anyone calling anyone else a "monkey from punjab" ?

If your answer to this question is "yes" then we must agree to disagree, and I stand with the moderator here. I think this is indefensible conduct from anyone, perhaps even more so from a 'senior' member. By extension, this would mean that even people like venkat and cranky and other such helpful people have the carte blanche to go around calling people names. This is not the way a forum should work. No one should be protected from the general rules of conduct, purely based on the number of posts that he or she makes. This is a liberally moderated forum. I do agree that I also think the moderator could be more pro-active, but even that is not a reason to state that someone who uses abusive language, should be left alone, because of how helpful he has been in the past. I have great regard for moser, and how much he has posted on these forums, but let's not mix up issues here.

If your answer is no, then perhaps you should re-consider what you have posted.

I am a "senior member" of this forum and have been for quite a while. The reasons as to why I am choosing to create an alternate identity and hide my true identity will be clear as you read further along.

Unfortunately the events of the past few days have left a bad taste in everyone's mouth along with mine. Sure things should not have happened the way they did but what happened later on was even more unexpected. A senior member like Moserw was banned and put on par with someone like manu4panjab (no offense to him). Is this the way we treat our senior members when they err? I have always believed we are a family and family can be counted on right. Moserw is a personal friend of mine through this forum. He has spents hours chatting and talking with me and many others and helped many a person on this forum. He has given more than his fair share of time, energy and effort on this forum and now he is shut out like a nobody. This is precisely why I have chosen to go this route of an alternate identity. A few well meaning members of this forum started a thread questioning the behavior meted out to Moserw and even that thread was unceremoniously closed and dumped by the moderator with words like "This is shameful conduct and totally unacceptable!". You can read that thread at http://www.hifivision.com/general-chit-chat/5901-moserw.html.

Now what is really shameful conduct and totally unacceptable is that the moderator of this forum is not even aware of what goes on in this forum. Many a time I have personally notified the moderator to delete a thread containing spam, sale, illegal content and such others. Now I know for sure all that time and effort is wasted because of the way Moserw has been treated. I am pretty certain even I would be treated the same way and probably banned and this thread closed. However one thing for sure is that less and less of my time and effort will go into this forum because at the end of it there seems to be no value associated to it. Senior and helpful members are treated like they are irrelevant, don't matter, and all their help and effort taken for granted.

More and more senior members are leaving this forum or lessening their presence here. Mostly its sellers or dealers who target and help out members who are looking to spend money while those with less budgets are left without any help at all. In such a scenario how wise is it to lose even the existing helpful members? One can hardly expect the moderator "HiFiVision" to answer any member's queries considering he is not even aware of what's happening in this forum. In fact he has to be notified to even take any action.

I am not posting this thread to show my ire because of what has happened to my friend. In fact the forum is my primary concern. Shall we let things continue this way and soon no seniors are left to help anyone? In that case why will anyone come to this forum at all? What can be done to save this forum? Let us get together and find a way to make this forum a better place and make sure it survives and thrives.

I believe this thread will be deleted or at the very least blocked but still I expect those who read this to carry on the torch. Let's do something. I will certainly speak out loud and clear for all to hear.

:)
I read the thread, I thanked Crancy, but I did not reply to cool down the controversy. I hope this is fine. However, I did reply to the poll which I found yet another thread to rake the issue up, instead of just letting the ban expire.

regards

Oh. Oh..

I can see this thread snowballing into another controversy.

Pls Vinay, anm .. you are senior members. You should lead by example.

The moderator is permissive and open; he encourages self-democracy.

When the postings turned poisonous and vitriolic ( of both moser and manu; read them especially moser starting the feud by calling manu a monkey from punjab); the moderator intervened.
I am sure Manu was forewarned about his posts, but many members happily contributed to his threads.. so the in a way approved of what manu was doing.

Regarding Seniority, Should our Ministers/MLAs/MPs be given freedom to do anything they want , just becos they are "senior"... are they above law??

I think the moderator should now issue frequent warnings to members, no thru pm but open to all to read.
Next is infarction and then a ban.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back