• Rock

• Metal

• Electronic (all genres)

• Indian (all genres)

• Rap/Hip Hop/R&B

• Jazz

• Acoustic/Vocal/Folk

Results are only viewable after voting.
Another friendly bump so that more people may vote. I think the results are great and interesting, the participation is also superb. Please vote if you read this, it only takes a moment.

Thank you!

I voted for Jazz, R&B, and Electronic, though I listen to all genres. I'm just basing on my favorites.

I and think "Rap/Hip Hop/R&B" can be broken out as R&B and "Rap/Hip" are two distinct genres. To lump them in together is a disservice, I might even add insult; And "R&B" has been around a lot longer than "Rap/Hip-Hop".

My two cents.

Last edited:
I voted for Jazz, R&B, and Electronic, though I listen to all genres. I'm just basing on my favorites.

I and think "Rap/Hip Hop/R&B" can be broken out as R&B and "Rap/Hip" are two distinct genres. To lump them in together is a disservice, I might even add insult; And "R&B" has been around a lot longer than "Rap/Hip-Hop".

My two cents.

No insult was meant, I ran out of options for the poll as mentioned earlier.

Classical means western or Indian or both ?

When I wrote it I was referring to western Classical. Please feel free to interpret it as you wish! :)

On Digital - almost always Metal, and mostly the bands from the golden age of metal - 1979 to 1991 (no grunge please). I have actually explored the genre and have been pleasantly surprised to discover a lot of 80s bands that did not put out albums in India (thankyou Magnasound, CBS Records India and BMG for whatever you put out back then) or feature in India's Sun mag or Illustrated weekly at the time (I think, the only two mags that covered the rock genre in India back then). Also, I am in the process of finalizing my "The End" rig for metal.

On Vinyl - anything that I get on LP or 7inch singles discs (not into 78s)

On Tape & On-air FM - nothing these days

Favourite Genre : Metal - New Wave of British Metal, Glam Metal (Hair Metal), Trash Metal (the Big-4) and Groove Metal (Pantera), I also dig AC/DC and KISS from the Hard Rock genre.

Last edited:
Please select all that apply, there were limited option slots so I've put a few of the more popular genres. Select as many as you'd like!

Do post thoughts/comments or if you listen to a genre not listed here. I know there are many sub genres and fusions so for the purpose of this thread I hope we can keep the scope broad rather than focus on particular sub genres.

Vote away!
You forgot to add "whatever irritates the wife" 😜😜.

Favourite Genre : Metal - New Wave of British Metal, Glam Metal (Hair Metal), Trash Metal (the Big-4) and Groove Metal (Pantera), I also dig AC/DC and KISS from the Hard Rock genre.
Oh, brother! No metalhead should ever get this wrong, it's THRASH.

In a lighter vein, Urban Dictionary is pure entertainment.

Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 07.55.11.png

Oh, brother! No metalhead should ever get this wrong, it's THRASH.

In a lighter vein, Urban Dictionary is pure entertainment.

View attachment 75158
an intermittent 'h' button on my keyboard, actually got you to do so much research, good info though :), I actually think bands like Linkin Park, Slipknot and Korn are actually Trash :)

btw, I have been listening to Metallica and Megadeth since the early days, and then around 1987, a friend gave me a tape which had a recorded version of Slayer's Reign in Blood album on it. Even though the recording was really poor, the moment I heard the first track - 'Angel Of Death', I was hooked. Every track on that album had these infectious hooks, especially 'Criminally Insane'. Great memories!

On Vinyl - Bollywood oldies especially R.D.Burman and Kishore Kumar. These genre play best on vinyl. Also Bengali oldies.

On digital - Selective English mostly Rock

The results so far are confounding. I can’t make any conclusions beyond the usual x% of respondents listen to this or that. Order of preferences as suggested earlier by an FM would have been useful.
BTW you can only see the results of the poll if you record your responses :)
So do take the poll if you want to see the results

The results so far are confounding. I can’t make any conclusions beyond the usual x% of respondents listen to this or that. Order of preferences as suggested earlier by an FM would have been useful.
BTW you can only see the results of the poll if you record your responses :)
So do take the poll if you want to see the results

It was not possible to set preference in the poll. Everyone is welcome to list their preference in a post.

I haven't analyzed the responses but it could be interesting. The sample size is small. I think maybe people prefer more mellow music based on the poll and people's posts. I also don't think the poll is representative of Indian listening habits. Most people in real life that I know who do listen to music beyond the casual tend to prefer Indian film music, classical and bhajans. Of course most of these people are not as invested in music or the equipment as people here. It is still nice to see the responses here to better understand what the sub section of people who visit here listen to.

an intermittent 'h' button on my keyboard, actually got you to do so much research, good info though :), I actually think bands like Linkin Park, Slipknot and Korn are actually Trash :)

btw, I have been listening to Metallica and Megadeth since the early days, and then around 1987, a friend gave me a tape which had a recorded version of Slayer's Reign in Blood album on it. Even though the recording was really poor, the moment I heard the first track - 'Angel Of Death', I was hooked. Every track on that album had these infectious hooks, especially 'Criminally Insane'. Great memories!
I'm a Thrash-head myself. Reign in Blood is a classic, and I still have these on tape, albeit devoured by fungus.
My metal sessions are too far in between these days, although Spotify/YT throw in great tracks in the mix occasionally.

It’s perhaps easier for me to answer what I don’t listen to. But that won’t be fun.

With years (now in early 50s) I’ve found my listening getting broader/more diverse, possibly as a result of increased access due to streaming as well as an inherent penchant for diverse inputs. Starting from someone who largely listened to Indian music, till around 2000, first through WorldSpace, then iTunes and now with streaming I started listening to, then exploring and following western genres, starting from classic rock (still a favourite) expanding into country, folk, soul, vocal pop and alternative, finding another favourite in Jazz and Jazz-Rock fusion (to go deeper), exploring fringes like metal, dance, new age… and towards the recent end also overcoming my dislike and developing an ear for electronic music. The only two occidental forts I haven’t yet attempted climbing are Western classical and Hiphop/Rap - interestingly one is considered oldies music and the other adolescent music. Possibly because I am so deep into Hindustani classical and following a classical genre takes too much of investment than others. And i always resonated with rock as a medium of expression of angst than rap. In general, I find myself gravitate more towards improvisational music (Indian classical, jazz, fusion) than set/conducted pieces (western classical).

While we typically look at music as Indian and Western, this duality leaves out the rich traditions of world music - which I find very fascinating. Whether it’s Fado form Portugal, Brazilian Bossa Nova, French Chansons, Celtic folk, Carribean Reggae, Arabian Oud music or Tuareg music from North Africa… the energy is so uplifting while the earthiness has a soothing/settling effect.

Any poll would have its natural limitations in capturing/expressing our musical preferences. Hence felt like elaborating through a detailed post. I’d leave out my lifelong love with Indian music - in its various tribal, folk, traditional, light, popular and classical forms out of it as it’s so obvious for any Indian music lover. Having said that, with increasing age I find myself increasingly differentiating classical from the rest in terms of what effect it has on me.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back