What happened to Sonodyne?

Yeah new Genelecs cost a lot. But if you can get a carefully used one for 45k, its a lot more value for money than the sonos, because these guys will last longer than the new SRPs and of course will sound much better.(Honestly, I think 65k is a bit on the higher side for a Sonodyne, taking into account the performance of the Sonodynes I have heard.) And you are going to get Genelecs as a 'second' system?:oops: So which is your primary set up?

Ended up with the srp 800 (205)
In both the set ups
Will post the pics
Jst love the sonos & now replaced the entire set up with sonodynes.

Also picked up the Sub 1012
It completely out performs my SVS SB 2000
Hard to belive.. i have them both side by side

Also picked up the Sub 1012
It completely out performs my SVS SB 2000
Hard to belive.. i have them both side by side

Hi subash :)

Thanks for sharing and very happy to know that the sonodyne out perform the svs. In my own experience with my DIY speakers, built by a generous forum member. They blow my much more expensive speakers out of the water. That is just my speaker so far.

And then we have gentlemen building amps too..And then they supposedly sound great too. We have enough engineering talent in india. If We can get to mars at the cheapest...no reason why we can't design the best audio components too without breaking the bank. Just takes a leap of faith , as I've done with the most stunning results :)

Hi subash :)

Thanks for sharing and very happy to know that the sonodyne out perform the svs. In my own experience with my DIY speakers, built by a generous forum member. They blow my much more expensive speakers out of the water. That is just my speaker so far.

And then we have gentlemen building amps too..And then they supposedly sound great too. We have enough engineering talent in india. If We can get to mars at the cheapest...no reason why we can't design the best audio components too without breaking the bank. Just takes a leap of faith , as I've done with the most stunning results :)
Amen

A few pics
IMG-20200831-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20200831-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20200831-WA0010.jpgIMG-20200831-WA0011.jpg

This is the second set up
Front mains - srp 800
Center - Avant C2 (these were not used & was planning to sell but when i got them connected it was very good & now replaced the svs prime center)
Sub - sub 1012 ( replaced the sb 2000)
Avr - marantz 6013
Cdp - old sony only as a transport as the dac of marantz is pretty good.
Display : 4k LG 38" ultrawide monitor
Sorrounds - at the moment polk audio owm 3 but will be replaced by the sonodynes soon.

Pics of main set up will put up in sime time

am surprised,it outperformed svs in music/movies?
whats the price of that sub.

I am too
Have been switching between the 2 subs & prefer the 1012 for both.
For movies its a no match
( may be not a good idea to compare ported & sealed)
I got the 1012 for 48.5k
A note on the 1012 - its big , very heavy & the build quality is grt too & comes with all the inputs/outputs you will ever need
Its a perfect match for the srp 800

Coming to the center channel Avant C2
Had ordered this jst before the lockdown period & the shipment got delayed, as i needed a center for the second set up picked up the svs prime from music ranch (blr) which was very close to my apt.
Was extremely happy with the prime.

The Avant C2 arrived in between the lock down (2 months late) it was a huge 3 way center like the prime but with a lot better built & bigger

Wasnt actually intetested to change the center from the prime & even posted the Avant c2 for sale

But had an urge to connect once before selling...once connected it was a different story
The Avant C2 stays....surprisingly it was a lot better.
The prime will be up for sale

Last edited:
I am too
I got the 1012 for 48.5k
A note on the 1012 - its big , very heavy & the build quality is grt too & comes with all the inputs/outputs you will ever need
Hello Subash,

How good are the Sonodynes SRP 800s for 2 Channel Music? Can you elaborate about the soundstage, separation etc? I am surprised too to hear that the 1012 outperforms the SVS Sub.

Maybe you could put out a short review for us.

Thank you
Issac

I am too
I got the 1012 for 48.5k
interesting. The product literature for the sub 1012 states that its low frequency extension is only 30hz at -3db and 25hz at -10db. On the specs side, it is totally outdone by the SB2000.

Hello Subash,

How good are the Sonodynes SRP 800s for 2 Channel Music? Can you elaborate about the soundstage, separation etc? I am surprised too to hear that the 1012 outperforms the SVS Sub.

Maybe you could put out a short review for us.

Thank you
Issac

Hi Issac
The Srp 800s are very good for music.
Being biamplified speakers they have lots of power & very detailed for music.
Also they being studio monitors a lot depends on the recordings.
The separation & soundstage is just perfect in my set up.
Am using the XLR connections from yamaha CX 5200 pre/processor.

( the 800s being so good wonder how the SM 300, triamplified spkrs would be)

You can find a few reviews & few long thread on the 800 /205 on gearslutz , i bought the 800s mainly based on the above review & a short demo of the smaller srp 400.
Rgrds

interesting. The product literature for the sub 1012 states that its low frequency extension is only 30hz at -3db and 25hz at -10db. On the specs side, it is totally outdone by the SB2000.

Yes also the sb 2000 is rated at 600rms & 1012 at 300.
But the 1012 plays lot louder, hits harder & faster & also goes lower & for movies its a no comparision as the 1012 will shake everything in a way i never felt with the sb2000.

Soon going with dual1012.

The 1012 are studio subs with every connections you will ever need, so can play around a lot with it, but extremely heavy with a very good build quality too .

If not for the present pandemic issue, would have been interesting to sit down together & listen to both at my place.
Rgrds

Hi Issac
The Srp 800s are very good for music.
Being biamplified speakers they have lots of power & very detailed for music.
Also they being studio monitors a lot depends on the recordings.
The separation & soundstage is just perfect in my set up.
Am using the XLR connections from yamaha CX 5200 pre/processor.

( the 800s being so good wonder how the SM 300, triamplified spkrs would be)

You can find a few reviews & few long thread on the 800 /205 on gearslutz , i bought the 800s mainly based on the above review & a short demo of the smaller srp 400.
Rgrds
Thank you very much

Someday I would like to hear these beauties locally. Your input was very informative

This is the exact reason why dealers walked away from Sonodyne.

Dealers walking away or customers walking away from dealers?
My experience :
It was a tough task to find a dealer in bangalore
The dealers are extracting a huge margin from the actual price what sonodyne sells.
From my experience , for the first pair of srp 800 i have paid 20+k more as this was bought through a dealer as i was unaware that a person i knew well ,could source the same direct from the company at a lesser price.
The second set of srp & the sub 1012 was sourced direct through a good friend at a lesser price & have orderd a second sub too.

Looks like now sonodyne have online sales with sudeepaudio, but again the prices quoted there is higher.

Dont really understand why they cant sell direct & doing so would keep the cost down & benefit us.

Yes also the sb 2000 is rated at 600rms & 1012 at 300.
But the 1012 plays lot louder, hits harder & faster & also goes lower & for movies its a no comparision as the 1012 will shake everything in a way i never felt with the sb2000.

Soon going with dual1012.

The 1012 are studio subs with every connections you will ever need, so can play around a lot with it, but extremely heavy with a very good build quality too .

If not for the present pandemic issue, would have been interesting to sit down together & listen to both at my place.
Rgrds

The 2 subs together for a pic. IMG-20200907-WA0000.jpg

Dont really understand why they cant sell direct & doing so would keep the cost down & benefit us.
I spoke to one blore dealer,they r just giving 15% discount on mrp.
I guess sonodyne is intentionally avoiding online partnership to give more margins to their dealers,hence the low sales I guess and ther is not much to demo at dealers place. They order only if someone asks,atleast here in Hyderabad.

I spoke to one blore dealer,they r just giving 15% discount on mrp.
I guess sonodyne is intentionally avoiding online partnership to give more margins to their dealers,hence the low sales I guess and ther is not much to demo at dealers place. They order only if someone asks,atleast here in Hyderabad.

Its the same in bangalore, for the active monitors its just impossible to get a demo.

The second sub 1012 arrived today.
The dual 1012 has done a dramatic difference, which i never experienced with the earlier dual subs.
Finally i think with the dual 1012 hopefully i will not be missing my def tech trinity much.
Sb 2000 will be up for sale

Back