WHAT HI-FI? Show 2022

I was received by Siva and Jeya have received me warmly as usual.

Due to my personal commitments, I only had a brief listen but sure they sounded wonderful. No wonder they got best sound of the show.
I would totally concur with you Sir. They were very receptive, patient and kind enough to play the tracks I requested them. Unlike the other rooms, this was the only room where I spent most of my time & they were not in a hurry to request me to vacate the couch for the next person to hear. Really appreciate the gesture.

Forgot to add the Roksan amp playing on Jamo speakers.

Attachments

• IMG-20220529-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220529-WA0002.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
The Sonus were also being played in the Rotel/Michi room but found it on the brighter side for my tastes as compared to the McIntosh.
Yes it was too bright and too harsh.
1. The Rotel Michi were new and were not broken in fully.
2. The most significant - Just change the speaker cable and then see. The sound became warm and mellow and you could listen to this same speaker for hours.

Where they the Olympicas ?
With McIntosh was Amator iii for sometime.

As an aside - if you like the sound of the Sonus Faber with McIntosh, try them with the Unison Research tube amps.... that is a magnificent combination and as of now, the leading contender for my end-game system.

Yes it was too bright and too harsh.
1. The Rotel Michi were new and were not broken in fully.
2. The most significant - Just change the speaker cable and then see. The sound became warm and mellow and you could listen to this same speaker for hours.
Yes they were connected with the Supra Sword speaker cables which are expensive but nothing great really. That system needed better speaker cables for sure. I m sure the room also had an effect on the sound.

Yesterday the Sunday TOI carried an article ' Why the Tables have Turned on Vinyl". An informative article on the resurgence of records. Having said that, I was saddened to note that there was hardly any vinyl being played at the above Show. I did see Mofi and Edwards Audio tt's but more emphasis was on digital sources. There was another room where portable ceramic cart tt's were being marketed. Maybe the organisers could have more analogue next time.
Spirovious was absolutely spot on as regards the Denon PMA 1600NE amp + B&W 683(?) towers. Having had extensive experience with Denon PMA 1510AE (the predecessor of Denon 1600NE), this amp has a slight treble sharpness which somewhat tames after extensive running in. Needs v careful speaker matching. Maybe some forum members can suggest a suitable speaker for this series of Denon amps.
There was a Marantz PM 8006 stereo amp driving a pair of Heco speakers. I did hear for too short a while to offer any comments.

Yes they were connected with the Supra Sword speaker cables which are expensive but nothing great really. That system needed better speaker cables for sure. I m sure the room also had an effect on the sound.
The Supra Sword are good...however they were a misfit in that system and in that room like you rightly mentioned.
They realised it and changed the speaker cables again for the 4th time.
It also took a lot of effort to lock the SF speakers into position.

The Supra Sword are good...however they were a misfit in that system and in that room like you rightly mentioned.
They realised it and changed the speaker cables again for the 4th time.
It also took a lot of effort to lock the SF speakers into position.
Interesting, so which cables did they change it to after the sword? How did you find the CD11 Tribute?

----
Spirovious was absolutely spot on as regards the Denon PMA 1600NE amp + B&W 683(?) towers. Having had extensive experience with Denon PMA 1510AE (the predecessor of Denon 1600NE), this amp has a slight treble sharpness which somewhat tames after extensive running in. Needs v careful speaker matching. Maybe some forum members can suggest a suitable speaker for this series of Denon amps.
There was a Marantz PM 8006 stereo amp driving a pair of Heco speakers. I did hear for too short a while to offer any comments.

Usually Denons are not sharp once warmed up/broken in so the problem could be the source above

The config was as follows:

Mcintosh C22 Mk V preamp
Mcintosh MC275 Mk VI power amp
Sonus Faber Electa Amator III speakers with their original stands (Carrara stands)

Hi Ssf,

The Sonus bookshelf were in the McIntosh/Arcam room. Not sure what model but it had a price tag of 10 lakhs according to the gentleman. Those bookshelves had a nice bass weight to it . On enquiring with the staff, there was no subwoofer connected since it was sounding big even at low volume. It actually felt a sub was not required for that room size.
The Sonus were also being played in the Rotel/Michi room but found it on the brighter side for my tastes as compared to the McIntosh.

Rgs,
Nitin

what i liked in the show
AP - already extesivly mentioned above

the sonus faber room HAD one hell of an all in one player
streamer built in, tidal ,spotify , lan , everything !!! , the built in dac and amplification was excellent - the bass reflectors were doing a superb job

i can say without a doubt the highest quality "all in one" ive hearD
the cross over was changing the curve at differt volume levels according to the room - bloody brialliant - you dont get overpowerred for a certain frequncy range at differnt volumes
someone who wnats a classic one box solution
this is acutallly an end game

the sonus room had some nice stuff
minimalism is the name of the game now
the new age is moving to a streamer plus amp with spekaers - DONE
so sonus has got something right there

the PTC room as someone mentioned was more tuned towards dealers
it was a show room rather than a listenig setup
however that does make sense for them
they are here for dealers to show their new brands and models they have aquired
not to satisfy retail customers for demos

luckily vijay and kamal knew who i was
the on wall series from JBls were great
inviisble speakers which you can plaster and paint over - so actually invisble
After putty and paint ( or wallpaper ) all you see is a wall - so home theatre in a living room without showing any speakers
without doing a lot of acoustics or breaking walls
though this has been done earlier the slim box of the JBL was new

they now also have become part dealers for Bowers and Wilkins so one can expect better pricing than earlier

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back