what is satelite radio? My old AVR has that feature.

Donivlapog

I just want to know whether it is a great extra feature or it is just a normal radio with a bit of fancy terminology gimmicks.

I just want to know whether it is a great extra feature or it is just a normal radio with a bit of fancy terminology gimmicks.

There are various radio services provided using a satellite. For each of these you require a special antenna connected to the avr.
Most likely it will be a service using the Sirius satellite. It will also require a special antenna. Once such antenna is below. You cannot get signals from this satellite in India.

sirius.jpg
Do you remember the worldspace service that was available in India? It also used a satellite somewhere over Africa and one had to put an antenna on the rooftop to get a line of sight with that satellite and also you required a bose receiver and antenna. Worldspace went bankrupt (IIRC 2007).

There are various radio services provided using a satellite. For each of these you require a special antenna connected to the avr.
Most likely it will be a service using the Sirius satellite. It will also require a special antenna. Once such antenna is below. You cannot get signals from this satellite in India.

View attachment 67336
Do you remember the worldspace service that was available in India? It also used a satellite somewhere over Africa and one had to put an antenna on the rooftop to get a line of sight with that satellite and also you required a bose receiver and antenna. Worldspace went bankrupt (IIRC 2007).
Back in 80s we used to catch Ceylon radio in our radio sets. My dad had a robust radio and it sometimes even caught some foreign channels.

Back in 80s we used to catch Ceylon radio in our radio sets. My dad had a robust radio and it sometimes even caught some foreign channels.
That was totally different and nothing to do with satellites. It was simple transmission using AM. The earth's ionosphere would reflect it back allowing long distance transmission across the globe. Without a strong signal, the transmission would be noisy. In contrast satellite radio one could get very good quality transmission. I had subscribed to wordlspace radio and when it went bankrupt, I lost a full year subscription. They never refunded back the money. I still have the receiver and antenna with me.

Like MB sir said above.
We used to get so many global stations with worldspace. It was such a joy.
I doubt if it i will be of any use to you now.
Worldspace was fantastic. I miss it so much. One could get very old marathi songs even from my grandmother's time which were on shellac records from the 30s, 40s. None of those songs are available anywhere.

The classical channels for Marathi and Tamil were mind blowing.

Worldspace was fantastic. I miss it so much. One could get very old marathi songs even from my grandmother's time which were on shellac records from the 30s, 40s. None of those songs are available anywhere.

I was one of the first worldspace users in this country...it was a great music source..went to buy the newer version also which emerged later..sorry to see it go

Indeed it was fantastic curated music. Its not just music, but RJ's were top class.

interesting, what is the model number and make of this AVR?
Of all those Indian WorldSpace channels, only Radio Indigo exists as a FM station in Bangalore

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back