What kind of audio system to buy?

andy78

I want to gift my uncle who listens to old classics something which he can play without much fuss. Currently he has lots of 2-in-1's of Sony and Philips which play cassetes and Audio CD. But he says he prefers something which will help him display the list of songs so that he can select it easily. Got him Moseraber DVD player which he has hooked upto the TV and listens to songs. However not that happy with MP3. I don't think there is any player that supports FLAC format which I feel is better than MP3.

So guys do you have any suggestions?
Budget is very tight around 5k.
Once again primary thing it will be used is to play old songs.

I want to gift my uncle who listens to old classics something which he can play without much fuss. Currently he has lots of 2-in-1's of Sony and Philips which play cassetes and Audio CD. But he says he prefers something which will help him display the list of songs so that he can select it easily. Got him Moseraber DVD player which he has hooked upto the TV and listens to songs. However not that happy with MP3. I don't think there is any player that supports FLAC format which I feel is better than MP3.

So guys do you have any suggestions?
Budget is very tight around 5k.
Once again primary thing it will be used is to play old songs.

If I am correct, the primary requirement is a big & clear display.
I would suggest to look for a "micro" system (the likes of sony, philips etc) with a big display. I have a JVC system with white fluorescent display on black background, which though not very big, but us very clearly legible.

Regarding FLAC support, I dont think a 5K system could do any justice to FLAC, so forget about it :)

I think portability is not the factor here. So I don't think will help if I buy him some PMP like Sony or iPod or a Philips. Would rather prefer some kind of DVD/CD or Media Player like Asus which can be connected to TV to get the display of the songs available in the disc.
Need to make things simpler for him. For a moment I was thinking about the portable DVD players which come with a TV I think Mitashi has one.But the screen is too small.

Radio won't be good at all in such portable dvd players. But try before deciding. I may be wrong.
Any media player connected to TV will require him to switch on both devices and then switch TV's input every time.... too cumbersome. And also unnecessary wastage of power by TV.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

What are the speakers thru which the music will be played? The sound quality will only be as good as the weakest link in the chain.

What about an iPod classic? It can store lots of songs in alac or wav and has a decent display.

I checked with him. He is ok with some media player. How is Asus O Mini and how much does it cost? I guess I need to buy some good decent set of speakers as well.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back