What makes an entry level cassette deck better?

greenhorn

...than the transport in a humble hi fi?

One thing, possibly is the head and the fact that is allows for chrome, metal tape and provides dolby NR.

But the transports in the basic tape decks seem quite similar to their minicompo brethren. They use the same motors, maybe slightly bigger flywheels, but again the same belts and same pinch rollers. So how exactly do they manage to get the W&F lower ?

Not an expert on decks, but I'd guess that that will have something to do with the assembly. More controls in place. Dual wheel drive would be one thing I would guess (or do if I were the designer), with multiple alignment pins at various points.

Not very helpful, but I can't think of anything else :D

The mechanism for any tape deck is a vital component. The mechanism has to be precisely manufactured with high quality materials and components. The lesser the mechanical implications, the more accurate the performance (for example, mechanical key transmissions for play can never give the servo controlled precision). Something simple like a belt driving a manual tape counter can have an impact on the speed. Maynot be noticeable when the deck is new but these are key factors once the deck grows older. Cassette decks with high torque motors are generally more accurate and less prone to voltage fluctuations. The head is also of vital importance and so is the quality of the pinch roller.

Back