what price to pay?

Thanks guys! Quite amused indeed, and I'm actually enjoying the fact that all of you guys are pulling my leg!

Good to hear about the Delhi get-together. Looks like you guys had good fun. Like our Particleman mentioned, it would be great if Sanjay can share the snaps.

I'm on the hunt for better speakers now. Currently borrowed Ikon 6 from my HT set-up for the time being.

Will keep you posted. Best regards.

Hi Unleash,
U said ur upgrading speakers? Whats the current set up? What speakers are u considering? The pro acs that u had is a damn good speaker!!!

Last edited:
The RS6 is a nicer speaker for the money, IMO RS8 is not worth it. At that range, there are more choices. What are you looking for? Any order of preference that you could put down for us?

cheers

Hi Unleash,
U said ur upgrading speakers? Whats the current set up? What speakers are u considering? The pro acs that u had is a damn good speaker!!!

Dinyaar,
I'm indeed planning to upgrade the speakers. My AV experimentation has undergone a major overhauling in the last 2 years! The “itch” has become a part of my life, I guess. Well regarding speakers, I’ve been looking around for sometime. Just not getting enough time to do a peaceful audition. I have narrowed down to 2 models. Heard them both and liked them equally, inspite of them being totally different from eachother!

a) ProAc D28
b) Electra 1027 BE

My hifi set up is the Marantz 15S1 Combo driving a pair of Ikon 6 (borrowed from the my HT) for the time being.

Last edited:
Hey! Unleash IMO you should def audition the Tannoy glennair 15 or 10.
From whatever limited exposure I?ve had to diff spks, Of late I?m starting to believe in the big driver point source sound. If one get?s hooked to it, it?s likely you?ll never really love a multi driver spk.
Cheers
Regards,

Thank you Neo. The Glenairs are very special speakers. With a price tag of under $10k, it is a tough proposition for me at this time. Sigh! Btw, I believe they are dual drivers aligned in a single axis - what tannoy puts in as Dual Concentric principle, incase if that is what you meant.

There are few speakers I dream of owning. The Westminster Royal SE, Kharma Exquisite Reference, are the top few!

Best Regards.

Last edited:
The wesminsters are truly awesome for sure. The glenair 10 is arnd 2.5k & the 15 is 3.5.The 10 i presume would be arnd the spk as shortlisted by you.
Cheers

Which amp to go with Sonodyne 2605 towers?

Hi enthusiasts,

I am gonna purchase a couple of Sonodyne 2605 tower speakers tomorrow. My question is, which amp should I buy to go with them?

My current options are:

Cambridge Audio, which has an output of 100 w per channel when playing in stereo mode. The 2605s have a max output of 130 w at 8 ohms. Costs 30 K.

AV300R, made by Sonodyne, which kinda strains at higher volumes and can manage only 80 w per channel in stereo mode. Costs 17 K.

Of course I wouldn't ask this question if I could go ahead and afford the Cambridge amp.

Any Onkyo or Denon in that price range? What do the experts recommend? How good are used amps?

mail me on [email protected]. A beer guaranteed if you are in Bangalore.

Ari

Re: Which amp to go with Sonodyne 2605 towers?

Hi enthusiasts,

I am gonna purchase a couple of Sonodyne 2605 tower speakers tomorrow. My question is, which amp should I buy to go with them?

My current options are:

Cambridge Audio, which has an output of 100 w per channel when playing in stereo mode. The 2605s have a max output of 130 w at 8 ohms. Costs 30 K.

AV300R, made by Sonodyne, which kinda strains at higher volumes and can manage only 80 w per channel in stereo mode. Costs 17 K.

Of course I wouldn't ask this question if I could go ahead and afford the Cambridge amp.

Any Onkyo or Denon in that price range? What do the experts recommend? How good are used amps?

mail me on [email protected]. A beer guaranteed if you are in Bangalore.

Ari

Hi Arijit,

First of all, I'd like to know what do you listen to?

Secondly, you should know one thing. When it comes to audio system, read the specs only to get an idea of its capability. Specifications are not validated by a government agency, they don't need to be true, say nothing about the quality of output and overall can be very misleading. If you don't believe this, read the specifications of a Sony hifi component.

IMO, Sonodyne Amp would be just fine. How often do you need 100 watts of output from your amp? Not very often! I'd say sticking to the same company will provide you a better integration.

You should go to the Sonodyne listening room with yout favorite CDs. Then to the CA dealer with the same CDs. Preferably the same day to enable you to observe the difference.

hi ranjeetrain,

Thanks for the prompt response, man. I listen to light jazz, mostly, and classic rock like Knopfler, Floyd. And also lounge.

Thing is, the Sonodyne guys themselves are selling CA. I heard using both the amps, and somehow felt the music sounded effortless when the CA was attached.

lemme listen again tomorrow and come back... this is such a sweetly frustrating indecision... you can keep listening and listening until you make up your mind...

Arijit

Thing is, the Sonodyne guys themselves are selling CA. I heard using both the amps, and somehow felt the music sounded effortless when the CA was attached.

Quite surprised to know this. But the bottomline is, if you heard a positive difference go for the CA.

Which CA model are you looking at for 30K?
Search the forum for an old post by me. I put some prices there. Good for reference and bargain.

If 30k it sounds like you're referring to the CA 540R AV receiver and not the amplifier. Unless you're getting the 740A for that price.

Arijit, the CA and Sonodyne make a good combination because the amp is a bit warm and the speakers are a bit bright. However you could probably find a better combination. Have you finalized the 2605 purchase? Else you could consider Monitor Audio BR5 as well.

Hi all, would really like to thank all of you (specially Dinyaar) who have been posting your opinions on this thread to help me put together my system.
What did I finally get.
Musical Fidelity A 3.2 amp (second hand...thanks to the forum)
Cyrus CD 6s CD player (from Singapore)
Monitor Audio RS 6
VDH revolution cables and Kimber Timbre interconnect (second hand)
All under 1.5L
I am off to press the PLAY button.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hi Kunal,
U are most welcome. Hope the system lives up to ur expectations.
Just make sure u take adequate precautions for the voltage fluctuations when u are up north.
Best Regards

Hey people,

The Sonodyne 2605s (old model) were available for a only 17 K as opposed to the new ones that are going for 23. I bought the last available pair, so am stuck with them. They sound good, have a good midrange, and for the size of my room, they are an overkill.

So, speakers are settled.

Now for the amp. What do the purists feel about what one needs for music? Simple Sonodyne 2-channel pre and power amp combo costs about 26 K, and delivers 130 w per channel at 8 ohms. Awesome sound.

Going by my ear, that's what i need. But some are suggesting I go for a surround amp, JUST IN CASE i want to add more speakers later and start watching DVDs. That has to be a choice I will have to make on my own.

If I go for surround ones, I already mentioned the CA Azur 540 R, which some of you have endorsed. There are also the Denon AVR 1708 and 1508. The 1708 has bi-amping, which is missing in the 1508. What is bi-amping?

Anybody knows about the Denons?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions. These are important decisions, and I can't go without expert advice.

Thanks so much,

Ari

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back