What speakers are outstanding value for money at 1 lakh these days..

You must remember that speakers work in 'real rooms'. The acoustics of rooms vary by their size and what they are stuffed with.....furniture, carpets, doors, windows etc. Then there is the amp and the source and possibly the interconnects ( generally classified as good or not good enough !). That's enough number of variables for a 'good' speaker to sound good in one room and not so good in another room. Choice of music is also important , when evaluating the speaker!

Instead of looking for speakers that 'cost' about 100K , look for speakers that are the size you want and look for those that are rated well. Then audition it and try to get a demo at home also....that being hard with smaller dealers. Let the 100K be a ceiling for the budget .You might get something much less expensive that you are happy with. Do a Google search carefully and you will find that there are mid priced speakers that perform far better than some very expensive speakers. Don't ask me to list them out as I don't keep track of them. Speakers are a personal thing. Different people like different sounds.
Research WELL on your own. Opinions are only pointers to what's available.
Thankfully many members are willing to give 'their' opinion based on their listening experience or what they have 'read'.
However you will have to do some research on your own with the data you collect from the forum. There is no easy way out........unless you don't really care too much about what you buy as long as it is in the 'good' arena. It's your hard earned money, you have the right to do what you want with it.
Have fun. :)
All good suggestions. None of us have time to audition a lot of speakers at the dealer let alone at home. So choose three based on your research and reviews that fit your size etc. Make sure one is above your price range. You dont know what you are missing till you compare it to a better model. Floor standers will generally sound better than book shelf for the same price. Rest is very personal. I had to have book shelf speakers and chose ls50.

Floor standers will generally sound better than book shelf for the same price. Rest is very personal. I had to have book shelf speakers and chose ls50.

I disagree with this statement.
Reasons - Imagine you've 1 lakh budget, and you're going to audition to nearest dealer.
There is available KEF LS50 & Q700 speakers. Which one is better in your opinion?

30 kg weight and 4 driver floor standers cost 1 lakh. But a small below 10 kg speaker cost is also 1 lakh! Why?

In my opinion a floor stander can beat a bookshelf speaker..but its cost atleast double (2 lakh priced floor stander can better, otherwise bookshelf is better)

BS don't have low end and for people who listen to western music this may create a problem. Luckily indian music that I listen to does not go below 50 hz and ls50 are fine with that with some room gain.

I disagree with this statement.
Reasons - Imagine you've 1 lakh budget, and you're going to audition to nearest dealer.
There is available KEF LS50 & Q700 speakers. Which one is better in your opinion?

30 kg weight and 4 driver floor standers cost 1 lakh. But a small below 10 kg speaker cost is also 1 lakh! Why?

In my opinion a floor stander can beat a bookshelf speaker..but its cost atleast double (2 lakh priced floor stander can better, otherwise bookshelf is better)

But aren't you proving the other point? Since a bookshelf needs less drivers, smaller cabinet, and a simpler crossover, for the same budget, one would expect better component quality (such as better quality drivers) compared to a floor stander of the same price. LS50 is one example.

Yes. Ok. I see your point. For people who can live without extreme low end, BS will have better quality sound for the same price. But add cost of stands to that price.

Yes. Ok. I see your point. For people who can live without extreme low end, BS will have better quality sound for the same price. But add cost of stands to that price.

the "Low end" of a speaker is not really only defined by it being a FS o a BS.to get an extreme low end FS ( 30 Hz and below at 3dB) you need to really go north of 5k USD and those usually have pretty large drivers.

in most rooms a BS does pretty well and for extreme low end you need a sub.

BS Vs FS cannot really be a generic discussion. it has to be specific to a model.

There are so many Book Shleves (Eg Harbeth) which dont have a FS model and go about as low as any FS if not more !

But as you very rightly say the BS has to have its Stand factored in terms of budget as well as Space !

Yesterday heard some ELAC models the the 77 series floorstander retail below a lakh and are quite good. However my pick would be the 197 fs around 1.5 lakhs. These speakers were quite nice to hear.

I personally like floor stand speakers than BS. But one member mentioned that within same price bracket FS is better thats why I disagree that point. FS and BS have different role in home audio...

How about KEF LS5 or Q900? I haven't heard either but there are plenty of great reviews for both. Also, their Indian prices are very close, if not less, than their US$ prices so you are not overpaying.

So far LS 50(1 lac INR) is concerned, pls go for Q300 at its 1/3 price (38k INR). I Had auditioned both these two,apple to apple. Trust me Q300 hands-down winner in all department other than looks and finish. Q900 is very good but the bass radiators(3 nos) are not rugged built. You can also try R300(1 lac INR) bcoz its got a 3 way UniQ driver whereas others have 2 way drivers.

So far LS 50(1 lac INR) is concerned, pls go for Q300 at its 1/3 price (38k INR). I Had auditioned both these two,apple to apple. Trust me Q300 hands-down winner in all department other than looks and finish. Q900 is very good but the bass radiators(3 nos) are not rugged built. You can also try R300(1 lac INR) bcoz its got a 3 way UniQ driver whereas others have 2 way drivers.
It is all about personal taste and preference. When I auditioned them, I did not feel Q300 were in the same league. The question for me was R300 or ls50. After much listening, i preferred ls50 but i can understand why someone may choose R300. Ls50 has less volume, less low end but the quality of sound approaches KEF reference speakers which I was tempted to buy but were just too expensive. And it became clear after about 3rd audition. So my advice, go audition them with different types of music that you listen to and then decide.

As a forum member pointed out in another thread, the PSB Imagine X2T is a superb speaker at Rs ~1 lakh

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back