What to buy from Switzerland/ Germany :)

liquor is a good idea. I would probably ask him to get some single malt. Suggestions may continue in this direction :)

Try Balvenie if you are into smooth speyside...

If you want more peaty islay go for Ardberg or Laphroaig...

Then you have the usual suspects - Glenfiddich and Glen Livet...let me know when they arrive...so will I :eek:hyeah:

I thought this is an English forum.

You thought right, Captain.

That was one of my bad jokes. English translated to German with the help of the internet. I can't speak German to save my life.

Anm,

One of my good friends is in Germany and every time he comes over to visit he makes it a point to get me a decent single malt. Unfortunately, the last time he was down, due to a bit of carelessness on his part, he forgot to put the bottle in his luggage. It was happily confiscated at the next custom check by the officials. I am sure your friend knows the procedure but do remind him of the same just in case.

dude,

check out saturn and media markt stores (like our croma and ezone), they are almost everywhere...you might find some good deals there on AVRs/Blu-ray players etc. of course there are high end stores in almost all cities, but of you can afford and carry them- worth a check.

Liquor: get Killepitsch - killer drink- almost 50% alcohol but tastes great - if you are around dusseldorf. Or get Jgermeister- another super drink- you ll get it anywhere

Cockoo clock: buy it only of you are in south Germany, near the black forest- thats where the chances of getting a authentic cuckoo clock is high...made completely of wood. make sure you buy the mechanical ones (with weight hanging with chains - which run the clock and the cuckoo) and not the fake electronic ones. starts at about 100.

Chocolates: of course, Lindt if you are in Germany, Godiva if you can find anywhere...belgian...

Beer mugs- in all shapes and sizes, great collector's item..

cheers...have a great trip

For liquor, the rates at Mumbai duty free are very good. I compared and quite a few of them were of the same price,a few even cheaper.So check them up . Will save a lot of trouble.Of course you may not get the really exotic stuff, but most of the regular stuff is available.

if you're into cooking,
ask your friends to get you a good JA Henckels or a Victorinox chefs knife.
my mom got me one as a gift, and man, its awesome.
i also have a german meat knife which is sharp as shit!!! it literally cuts through meat like a hot knife through butter.

if you're into cooking,
ask your friends to get you a good JA Henckels or a Victorinox chefs knife.
my mom got me one as a gift, and man, its awesome.
i also have a german meat knife which is sharp as shit!!! it literally cuts through meat like a hot knife through butter.

Anant, it's a good suggestion by kernel. German chef knifes are dream in any kitchen. And it will remain forever as souveneir also.

Yes, I certify to that. We bought a set of kitchen knives there in 1989 and they are still working great. As I am writing this post, my wife just informed me that one knife from the set is somehow missing. Any way, others are still there. In all these years they have never needed any sharpening or any kind of servicing.

Regards.

ANM : If affordable ask your friend to buy the FM Acoustics Pre amplifier from Swiss. One of the greatest pre amplifiers in the Planet. Also has got a terrific resale value.

regards

Things are damn costly.
so buy anything apart from electronics!!!! :)
may be quality products from following categories
chocolates , cream biscuits, baby products, beauty products for woman!

As someone who travels to Geneva quite frequently I found only thing worth buying from Switzerland are the chocolates :) Forget about Lindt etc. The real chocolateries on the bank of Rhine are non-descript and french speaking only but are they delicious !!

Worked with Nagra on certain designs and first thing you will see when entering the Kudelsky group bldg are the Nagra pyramids. Even the Nagra employees find them obscenely expensive :)

But you can find swiss watches and get an account opening from any of the swiss wealth management firms :)

Don't think Gobble would be interested anymore .... hez got his hands full with ............. :p:licklips::D:eek:hyeah:

What? What? :eek:hyeah: What have I got that I don't know about that YOU know about?!!! :eek:

I will try to beat Gobble here. How about a German speaking Swiss blonde? :)

I am sure Gobble will be even cheekier.

Cheers

A Swiss bonde covered from head to toe in... ummm Swiss Chocolate? ;) With Almonds, Walnuts and Raisins at strategic places? :licklips:

It sure will be a "raisin" experience :lol:

It is not about the symbol of status but they speak about quality... I love swiss high end product...I cannot express a single word of it...

You mean the "Made-In-China" stuff that is packaged in Swiss branding... or don't you? ;)

PS: I would prefer a French speaking Swiss blonde.. alas the closest I could get to this fantasy was a menacing and growling Great Dane .. the four legged variety :mad: :D

--G0bble

Last edited:
What? What? :eek:hyeah: What have I got that I don't know about that YOU know about?!!! :eek:

A Swiss bonde covered from head to toe in... ummm Swiss Chocolate? ;) With Almonds, Walnuts and Raisins at strategic places? :licklips:

It sure will be a "raisin" experience :lol:

You mean the "Made-In-China" stuff that is packaged in Swiss branding... or don't you? ;)

PS: I would prefer a French speaking Swiss blonde.. alas the closest I could get to this fantasy was a menacing and growling Great Dane .. the four legged variety :mad: :D

--G0bble

Sorry, I do not buy made in china product for sound systems and watches...either made in/handcrafted in Germany, Switzerland, Japan or USA...for wallet, belt, shoes, socks either made in Italy or France...I love high end product like Cartier, Brietling, Jaeger le Couture, Breguet, Chopard, Hublot, FM Acoustics, Thorens, Burmester, T+A Elektroakustik and many more...

A friend is coming from switzerland. Maybe he can also visit germany. What is advised to get from there, besides chocolates and watches?

Ask your friend to get a NAGRA CD Player for you. 100% Swiss Made.:licklips:

Sorry, I do not buy made in china product for sound systems and watches...either made in/handcrafted in Germany, Switzerland, Japan or USA...for wallet, belt, shoes, socks either made in Italy or France...I love high end product like Cartier, Brietling, Jaeger le Couture, Breguet, Chopard, Hublot, FM Acoustics, Thorens, Burmester, T+A Elektroakustik and many more...

But still ... the iron ore for steel watches come from China ... And the leather comes from buffalo hide in India. :indifferent14: Possibly many Italian branded stuff is actually hand stitched in Dharavi!! The workmanship and art begins with the comrade labourer in China and the poor farmer in India for feeding the buffalo that was worth only 300 naya rupiah for its lifetime and upgraded into a $1600 Italian handbag after its poor soul has transmigrated into a fervid consumer of material goods (strictly based on its Karma of course!!) :eek:hyeah:

--G0bble

errrrrrrrr ... the iron ore also 'might' come from India ... someplace close to Bangalore which is under the control of 'some' infamous brothers ... The Indian ore is stated to have very high iron quantity and quality.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back