What Tweaks Work For You?

jls001

Many of us have tried various tweaks at some point or the other in our audio-video journey. Some work, while some do nothing. These could be room acoustic treatments, speaker placement (though placement is, strictly speaking, not a tweak, but for this discussion we will consider it a "tweak" as it takes lots of time, iterations and efforts to really arrive at the most optimal placement for a given room); vibration dampeners like soft footers or vibration drains like cone or ball footers or usage of weights to dampen cabinet vibrations; electrical tweaks like use of better "juice bars" a.k.a. distribution boards or better electrical outlets or better electrical cables; etc. Let's keep interconnect cables, power cables and speaker cables out of the purview of this thread, as they can be considered an integral part of an audio-video setup, and not accessories. Besides, we already have a dedicated Audio-Video Cable subforum if we wish to discuss them further.

Do feel free to share tweaks that work in your setup.

I understand that discussions on the subject of tweaks can quickly go south due to the strong sentiments often involved, and the difficulty of explaining the workings of many such tweaks with the known sciences and physics. Nevertheless, we hear and see what we hear and see, irrespective of whether there is a logical explanation for the observed phenomena.

So requesting all participants to keep the discussions civil. Please feel free to ask questions, but please refrain from attacking tweaks, especially ones you have no personal experience with. Let's all keep an open mind and share ideas. My first tweak in the next post:)

Simplest and cheapest for me. Very thick drapes 2 layers of cotton and raw silk with the curvy design. Thick carpet on wood floor.

Ice hockey pucks for isolation and dampening.

First up, I would like to share my recent experience with ground plane tweak, and its variants.

This tweak was discovered by BudP over at diyaudio. Link here. This thread is long and it can sometimes be tough to glean the gist of the tweak. In short, if an audio equipment does NOT have a good ground plane, it can benefit from having a loop of conducting multistranded wire, hung from the negative terminal of source output, or the amplifier's negative terminals, or speaker's negative terminals, or all of them.

BudP's recipe is to have 140 strands of 40 gauge transformer wire, 26 inches long, made into a loop and the ends soldered together after removing the insulation of the transformer wires at both ends where they have to be soldered together. The insulation on the rest of the loop remains as it is to maximise surface area of the loop. The loop has to be connected to your audio equipment as mentioned above after covering in something like a cotton tubing. By the time it is inserted into a cotton tube, it is no longer a loop but more of a 12 inch pigtail (1 + 1 inch gone for soldering). He also recommends further tweaks to the loop by placing three pieces of dielectric like heat shrink at equal distance around the loop. Typical length of the dielectric is 0.6 inches. Reducing the length can change the nature of the sound. The use of transformer wire is recommended because each wire is insulated, and therefore the combined surface area is 140 times that of an individual strand. I have tried this tweak long ago, but got both the length of the loop (I used a 12 inch instead of the recommended 26) and the material wrong (I had used multistranded wires from a speaker cable). I also got the number of wire run wrong - I didn't count how many strands my loop had. I used the two loops I made in the speakers, but honestly didn't hear any difference, good or bad. In hindsight and with more reading, it is now clear that my version didn't work because non-insulated conducting strands bunched together didn't give a particularly large surface area, and the loop length was too short. Further info here.

I have been meaning to re-do this tweak, though the thought of stripping the insulation from 140 strands (x4 ends) didn't sound appealing at all. Besides, I didn't have enough length of 40 gauge transformer wire without another trip to the market.

BudP's explanation of the working of the tweak is that the loop creates a "reservoir" of electrons which can be called upon when current requirement goes up. If seen from an electrical point of view, it does exactly nothing. In fact circuit theory tells us that there won't be any electrical current flowing through this loop, as electricity flows through the shortest path. The ends are tied and soldered together, so current would cross over at that point and does not need to flow via the longer loop path. Be that as it may, many have reported both positive and negative effects of having the loop, so it is known to work, whether or not his explanation of the phenomena is right or wrong. Those inclined to know more may please read the above diyaudio link where the inventor himself has given detailed explanations.

Variation 1:
It was then I read about the first variation of this idea. What if one uses a strip/ribbon of copper instead of many runs of transformer wire? The copper strip can be such that it has equal, if not much more, surface area than the transformer wire pigtail. So was born this variation of the ground plane tweak. People have used anything from half inch to 8 inch wide copper ribbon, running almost the length of the speaker cable. The "recommended" recipe for this variation is to have a copper ribbon running parallel to the speaker cable at a distance of about 4 inch. Again like the pigtail, it is connected to the negative terminal of source or amp or speaker. The explanation given for this tweak is that the ribbon creates a field that counteracts the field created by the speaker cable itself. More info here.

A further "tweak" to this tweak was born at my place. For proof of concept I used kitchen aluminium foil since I couldn't easily source copper ribbon. The aluminium foil was cut into a strip of 1 inch width. Initially I tried five feet of it, which is about midway the length of my 3m speaker cable. The immediate effect was a lowered noise floor. Encouraged, I extended the ribbon to 10 feet and there was some further audible improvement. I didn't hear any change in the bass but the midrange and highs cleaned up. Big time. This led to improved resolution of lower level musical cues. The lowered noise floor allows me to turn up the volume from my regular 12 o'clock position to 1 o'clock, without listener fatigue. This is a good thing because louder volume allows one hear more into the details of the music. This sounds cliched, but I did hear lots of new details in music which I regularly listen to for evaluating changes after swapping out some component or making tweaks. There was also a sense of relaxation in the music, and the midrange got more spotlighted. There is also a substantial improvement in the "specificity" of the sound stage, with instruments and voices occupying much more focused places in the depth and width sound fields. One minor downside I hear in my setup is the soundstage is brought slightly forward but the advantages over rule this quibble.

To make things manageable, I hung the ribbons (one ribbon each of ten feet connected to each negative binding post terminal) to the speaker cables using thin solid core wires (CAT5/6 cables work just fine as the foil is very, very light). The one disadvantage of this tweak is your audio area starts looking like leftover from a Christmas decoration:), what with a long silver coloured streamer gently swaying;) But the effect it brings about makes you forgive its sins in the aesthetics department.

Variation 2:
A similar tweak called Battery Ground Tweak (BGT) was invented by unclestu over at audioasylum. It works on a similar principle. For analog audio, the recipe is to have a capacitor bank of about 40000 uF powered by a 9V battery. The negative terminal of this contraption is connected to negative terminal of source or amp or speaker (but the inventor said that it works best on the source). The positive terminal of the circuit is not connected to anything. A bypass capacitor of about 0.1 uF is recommended to bypass the capacitor bank. I have been using this circuit on my source and the effect is same as the alumimium foil, just more. More info here, including circuit diagram.

I have been running together the BGT (at source) and aluminium foil (on the power amp) and enjoying much better sounding music.

I recently made another BGT and connected it to the amp too. I can say that it is better than using the foil. Using foil + BGT on the amp doesn't seem to improve the sound any more than what the BGT alone on the amp had already achieved, so effectively the alumimium ribbon is now redundant.

My implementation: ten 4700 uF, 35V Rubycon electrolytic capacitors are paralleled for a combined capacitance of 47000 uF. One 0.1 uF and two lower value polystyrene caps are used as bypass. I tried powering the circuit with two 9V batteries in series but I find the sound too bright. 9V works better. I will try with slightly lower capacitance (say around 37600 uF) as I find the sound even with only a single 9V battery a wee bit bright for my taste.

If you want to try this for video or SPDIF, use about 100,000 uF and 18V.

The above tweaks are easily do-able even by the beginner tweaker. Especially the aluminium foil tweak, since most of us already have the raw material in our kitchens. It has effect even if the aluminium foil is used rolled up, but the effect is likely lesser than having it run along the speaker cable. Further, most likely there will be improvement with copper ribbon as it is a better conductor than aluminium. Copper personally not yet tried.

Even the BGT costs very less. I would encourage you to try these tweaks at home. The results are stunning. I am certain I won't be able to go back to no BGT in my setup.

Last edited:
Hi jls001

I have been wanting to try the bgt ever since I read about it a few years ago. So the next time you come home pl get your bgt with you.:)

Would like to give it a shot.

I tried the Entreq ground conditioner a few years back. Did pretty much nothing in my system

I did try the foil tweak as making BGT is out of my league

What I did was take the whole roll of aluminum foil from my kitchen. Cut 2 stripes of 3 inches in width and about 2 ft length . connected one end of both stripes to the foil roll and other end to each negetive terminal of amp

I could not do extended listening but immediately i felt sound presentation was very relaxed. I went 3 points up then my normal listening. It was loud but sound was not losng composure as before. Infact was enjoying more at that level

Prem,
I'll surely get the BGT. In the meantime I'll try to finetune the amount of capacitance as currently it is verging on the bright side.

I have my speakers on Stands. Wedge shaped erasers (school stationary grade) between the speaker base and the top shelf of the stand create an isolation.

Would love to know other DIY options to isolate speakers.

MaSh

I have my speakers on Stands. Wedge shaped erasers (school stationary grade) between the speaker base and the top shelf of the stand create an isolation.

Would love to know other DIY options to isolate speakers.

MaSh

My personal experience with under speaker isolation and damping is to use both hard spike screwed to the base of speaker, and brass cones placed under the speaker, but not screwed on to the base. I've also tried ceramic ball based isolation footer. Also tried soft dampening footers.

My personal favourite is brass cones as I find the sound most balanced. The soft footer made the bass wooly. I have tried a variation of this where a large foam sheet the size of the speaker stand top plate was sandwiched between the stand's top plate and Baltic birch plywood. The presence of foam spoiled the bass here too.

Of course, YMMV.

Another very important "tweak" most of struggle with is speaker placement and toe in. The Cardas method is a good starting point as there are recommendations for various room types and also for two speaker directions (firing along the longer room length or along the shorter room length). Here's the Cardas website:

Cardas Room Setup Guide

I said good starting point, because I find it easy to follow the advice for distance of speaker from front wall (the watch behind the speakers), but impossible to follow these advice for distance of speakers from side walls.

Here's why: consider a room length of 19', width of 9'10", and height of 8'11". Assume you're placing the speakers along one end of the narrow side of this rectangular room. So as per Cardas method (refer to page 1 of above link), the speakers have to be placed at a distance of:

0.447 x 9'10" (front wall width) =52.74".

This is the distance of front baffle of speaker from the front wall. This is about 4 feet and a few inches.

Now consider the distance from side wall:

0.276 x 9'10" = 32.56"

This is about 2 feet and 10 inch from side wall to center of speaker. If we are to follow this calculation too, the speakers would be separated by just 4 foot and 10 inch. So the listening distance is also just 4'10", which is near field, studio monitor type listening distance.

So I typically follow the calculation for distance from front wall but push the speakers fairly close to side walls. Instead of 2'10" I start with about 2' then gradually push the speaker closer to side wall, while listening to the changes in the sound. After lots of experimentation the distance is now about 22 inches.

Getting the correct distance from front wall is critical to getting correct bass weight.

Getting correct distance from side walls is critical to good sound stage.

After you're happy with this initial placement, toe in the speakers gradually. The angle of toe in is very much dependent on how directive is the tweeters. If you have very focused beam from your tweeter, reduce toe in angle or else the treble will overwhelm. At the same time, toeing out increases bass reinforcement, so it is essential to achieve a fine balance by repeated tweaks. Don't do this exercise over one sitting. Spread it across days. This prevents ear fatigue. You're no longer a critical listener after repeating the same tracks over and over again. Use the same tracks to hear changes. Having a friend over is an excellent idea as two ears are better than one.

Correct toe in is critical to getting good imaging.

The above tweak is something all of us can do and in my limited experience the tweak with the most gain for no monetary investment. Do this before you upgrade your gear or cables, and you'll be surprised how much better sound you can extract from your system.

Adding circuit diagrams for the Battery Ground Tweaks.

This is version 1 for analog. It can be used on source, DAC, amplifier, and speakers.

opFYCCc.png

Notes:
a. Capacitors 1 to 9 are electrolytic, 4700 F rated ? 25V
b. Capacitor 10 is bypass capacitor 1, polystyrene non-polar, value 0.1 F rated ? 25V
c. Capacitor 10 is bypass capacitor 2, polystyrene non-polar, value 0.01 F rated ? 25V
d. Capacitor 10 is bypass capacitor 3, polystyrene non-polar, value 0.001 F rated ? 25V
e. Total capacitance of 1 to 9 must be around 40,000 F. One can use higher value if one desires a brighter sound. Slightly less than 40,000 F can be used if you feel 40,000 F is still bright. Feel free to experiment. I like 37200 uF (8 x 4700). 47,000 F was way too bright in my setup.
f. Connect the point marked "A" to negative of source RCA output (it must be in contact with the barrel), or negative binding post of amplifier or negative binding post of speakers. Feel free to loop "A" to both channels. Do note that some people like it better when connecting "A" to the positive terminal of amp or speakers, so do feel free to experiment.

Version 2 (below) is basically the same as version 1, but using 10,000 F capacitors.

1Rg0mSr.png

It is easier to play around with values using Version 1 but certainly more complex to put together.

The version for SPDIF or video is below:

abHIcrr.png

Note:
a. Capacitors 1 to 4 are electrolytic, 10,000 F rated ? 25V (35V is about ideal). Total value of capacitance must be around 100,000 F.
b. Capacitor 10 must be about 0.2 uF (0.224 uF value is available); for 11 & 12 same values as analog version can be used, though the ideal values would be about 0.02 and 0.002 uF.
c. Two 9V batteries to be used in series for 18V supply.
d. Connect point marked "A" to barrel of SPDIF output of CD player.

As noted earlier, the effect of the BGT is cumulative. After much experimentation, at the minimum I feel one must have it at source and amplifier. Starting at source, you will hear its effect but if you add it to amplifier the positive effects get added. Adding to the speakers has subtle effect. In my setup, it improved the attack and also added to the tonal density. When used at the speaker alone, I personally didn't like its effect too much, but when added last, it sort of acted as a finetuner. So my recommendation is to try it on analog unbalanced source, amp and speakers. You will need one unit each for each speaker.

Further improvements: the capacitors behave much like power supply capacitor banks, so better capacitors usually used for power supply units will give better results. Further, the lead connecting the BGT to equipment also matters. Use the best wire you can lay your hands on. I use run-of-the-mill, teflon insulated 20 gauge silver coated multistranded copper (Rs 20/m). It does the job but one can do better.

After you have finished building it, connect battery/batteries and allow the capacitors to charge for two hours before connecting it to your equipment.

Last edited:
Build steps of analog version 2: assuming one uses capacitors with long enough leads, one doesn't need any extra external wiring. Just wire them up in criss-cross fashion as below:

m3NqHhj.jpg

Actual build:

UjzCuPH.jpg

There must be a vertical separation of about 5 mm between the negative and positive leads.

Note how the ends of the leads are stood vertical and used as the final leads to connect bypass caps, battery and connection leads.

The final product:

zo6etWZ.jpg

I use two leads - one each to connect to left and right channels, but it is probably overkill.

It's easy to build and very cheap.

This type can certainly be used.

Did you see the price of that capacitor, though?:sad:

One complete unit I built cost about the same as that one capacitor:) Cost break up:

1. Elna 10000 uF, 35V - Rs 32 x 4 = 128
2. Three bypass capacitors - Rs 10 each = Rs 30
3. 9V battery connector = Rs 10
4. 9V battery = Rs 22
5. Wire, 2m = Rs 40
Total: Rs 230

Keltron 4700 uF, 25V costs about Rs 25.

IME, I have tried plenty of sujbjective tweaks to my speakers, room placements, amplifiers, source , cables, IC etc, nothing workedjust by listening and tweaking. My major breakthrough in tweaking happened only after i cluld objectively measure what I was tweaking and whether that tweak were measurable objectivvely also. I am now .ore than 100% satified with my tweaks and am happy to corelate my objective findings with subjective evvaluations.

I have also tried the BGT in my setup
Don't have measurements to support but it clearly has reduced the noise floor. Its very much noticeable with the sound

The version for SPDIF or video is below:

abHIcrr.png

Note:
a. Capacitors 1 to 4 are electrolytic, 10,000 F rated ? 25V (35V is about ideal). Total value of capacitance must be around 100,000 F.
b. Capacitor 10 must be about 0.2 uF (0.224 uF value is available); for 11 & 12 same values as analog version can be used, though the ideal values would be about 0.02 and 0.002 uF.
c. Two 9V batteries to be used in series for 18V supply.
d. Connect point marked "A" to barrel of SPDIF output of CD player.

Correction due to careless cut-paste: above point "a" may please be read as "Capacitors 1 to 10...." and NOT "Capacitors 1 to 4....".

@jls001 - Most of that went (way) over my head.

But I'm thinking the use here is clean power, as in using a battery to clean the power?

Noob alert - If so then why not use something like a home UPS? For under 20K you'd be able to connect a lot more equipment. Or is this doing something more and I'm really missing something?

Noob alert - If so then why not use something like a home UPS? For under 20K you'd be able to connect a lot more equipment. Or is this doing something more and I'm really missing something?

It goes over my head too:) I'm at a loss on how to explain its working.

Basically, a bank of capacitors energized by a low powered battery, is connected to the negative signal at either the source component or DAC or preamp, or power amp or speakers. It is not connected to the power supplies of any of these components, so UPS will not be useful in this application.
--------

Some additional observations after another evening of experimentation in a friend's audio setup:

Connecting one unit each to DAC and preamp didn't seem to improve things. Connecting at the source ONLY seems to have the same effect.

Connecting the SPDIF version brought forward the sound stage. In my friend's case, it was way too forward than he is used to that it had to be removed. No doubt it helped to bring up more lower level details hidden in the mix, but it became in the face and soon became fatiguing.

His setup already has a dense tonality that some of us prefer. Adding one each of the analog BGTs to the speakers was not nearly enough to bring liveliness to the sound. Replacing the analog version with the SPDIF version in speakers instantly brought some much needed liveliness in the sound. In contrast, on a brighter system like mine, SPDIF version on the speakers is too much of a good thing.

So as I experiment further and go further away from what the inventor recommends, I'm discovering that BGT is not a cut and dried system, but can be quite useful in tuning the sound of the system.

So far the analog version at both source (or DAC) and amplifier and one each at the speakers seem to work well. Of course as mentioned above the one at the speaker may be varied between analog and SPDIF to one's liking.

There is no doubt that the SPDIF version works too on CD player output but whether it is to one's liking or not is the question. Used with my cheap Blu-ray player used as transport, it works wonders.

It goes over my head too:) I'm at a loss on how to explain its working.

Basically, a bank of capacitors energized by a low powered battery, is connected to the negative signal at either the source component or DAC or preamp, or power amp or speakers. It is not connected to the power supplies of any of these components, so UPS will not be useful in this application.

Yup, still over my head.

I'm trying to see what else I can do to improve things in my setup... hence the questions (noob and all).

I tried an LPS (low budget) and really did not hear anything differently. My thinking was "clean" power was already achieved by isolating the NAS and the Raspberry Pi - and going wireless for output. Noise floor and blacks are in fact greatly improved for the better with wireless. Of course the $40 LPS too might be bare bones... but whatever the reason I did not appreciate any difference in SQ whatsoever.

I'm not saying LPS will not work... but I'm loathe to trying an $800 HDPLEX for a $35 Pi or even a $600 NAS. Added to that we tried with the likes of Auralic and the LPS actually hurt the SQ. The supplied power supply for the Auralic Mini was actually better than a new PS/LPS.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back