WhatHifi Screw-up

What hifi has reviewed Marantz PM6004 and gave it a 5*
Marantz PM6004 review from the experts at whathifi.com

Additionally they have recommended the below (!!!) as pairing well with the amp.

---------- snip ------
Add a pair of Tannoy Revolution DC6 T floorstanders (800) and youll be especially happy, but B&Ws 685s (380) or KEFs Q300s (450), both standmounted designs, are also highly recommended partners for what is a simply superb, affordable, hi-fi separates system.
----------------------

You have brought out a very good example where the reviewer wrote it due to some sponsorship deal from Marantz and other brands.

They push such drivel wherein poor consumers who are not very knowledgeable and dont visits sites like HFV :)D) get conned. Similarly, retailers and audio stores openly quote these sort of reviews and star ratings to the same customers to peddle the products. Its a vicious cycle.

I do understand most people dont have patience, knowledge or means to do A/B auditions, yet there is no reason to be fed such crap by the mags.
It appears What HiFi reviewers are comparing based on pricing as their site indicates and this is the reason there is a new "award winner" with almost every different equipment.

Another contradictory note in the review of CA 650A when they reduced a star:

When we gave the stylish Azur 650A the First Test treatment back in August 2009, it was emphatically anointed as a five-star frontrunner and a fine buy'.

So bearing in mind the number of stars reducing by a mighty one what on Earth can have gone wrong in such a relatively short space of time?

The short answer is: nothing fundamental.

....later on....

Of greater concern is the rather analytical, disengaged character that's been thrown into sharp relief.

--------------

I pity the guys who went and bought this amp based on their initial rating of 5*

Last edited:
I have a Marantz PM6004 driving a pair of KEF Q100s placed on Sorbothane pads on 800 mm tall stands (sand-filled) so the drive units are level with my ears, with connections via QED 79 cables. I’ve owned this system for many years and it has brought me immeasurable listening pleasure when fed with high quality source material. The Q100s have an amazing ability to produce deep tuneful bass you can also feel. The sound produced by this system is so natural and engaging I can listen for hours, at volumes that create the feeling of being in a concert hall, without fatigue. Spending time optimising the positioning of your speakers within the room is well worth the effort.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back