WhatHifi Screw-up

BLASTO

What hifi has reviewed Marantz PM6004 and gave it a 5*
Marantz PM6004 review from the experts at whathifi.com

Additionally they have recommended the below (!!!) as pairing well with the amp.

---------- snip ------
Add a pair of Tannoy Revolution DC6 T floorstanders (800) and youll be especially happy, but B&Ws 685s (380) or KEFs Q300s (450), both standmounted designs, are also highly recommended partners for what is a simply superb, affordable, hi-fi separates system.
----------------------

I have demoed this amp with Monitor audio RX6 and RS8 yesterday and it barely managed to drive the RX6 while it cannot drive the RS8 at all. Both are high sensitive (90db) designs and are 6Ohms.

Now the PM6004 is rated 45w at 8Ohm and 60w at 4Ohm (and probably 50w at 6Ohm)

Now WHO IN A RIGHT MIND WILL RECOMMEND THIS FOR A B&W 685?? These are low senstivity speakers with absolutely no intention of obeying low powered amps.

And the Tannoy Revolution DC6 T floorstanders ??? WHAT WERE THEY EVEN THINKIING??

I have doubts of even if they do any kind of pairing before writing such recommendations.

I know of atleast one person who got affected because of this. You spend 70k and realize that these morons commited a mistake?

And with what authority is marantz marking these as 45w/ch?? I had an old NAD C320 amp marked 40w/ch and drove big floorstanders with ease. I have experienced 50w/ch rotels which pump great power into B&Ws. This 45w/ch is more like half that number comparatively.

A kind advice to all, discredit me as you wish, but please refrain from reading such junk reviews and jumping into conclusions. I believe these guys are playing with our money by taking money from the respective companies.
Audition the pair yourself and come to conclusions.

If you buy any components without audition based on reviews, you WILL repent.

It was probably written by a nitwit who is probably hearing impaired.
The 6004 with the Tannoy Rev or 685 ... ha ha ha .

I think the author should have a word Harsha as to why he is selling the PM6004 and B&W 685.

The PM6004 is not a bad amp and may do well with budget bookshelf speakers or speakers with a decent sensitivity. But irrespective which speakers I dont think they can drive a single floorstander with authority.
You just cant compare it to the likes of a similarly specced Arcam,Rotel, NAIM, Cyrus or for that matter even a NAD ok lets add our desi brands into the equation. the Norge 1000 is a way better amp to drive the 685's at probably 1/2 the cost. and it would probably drive the Tannoys as well

One more reason why to take these professional reviews with a pinch of salt.
You said it Blasto.
Marantz probably paid them some big bucks to look good .

The review is a joke.

---------- snip ------
Add a pair of Tannoy Revolution DC6 T floorstanders (800) and youll be especially happy, but B&Ws 685s (380) or KEFs Q300s (450), both standmounted designs, are also highly recommended partners for what is a simply superb, affordable, hi-fi separates system.
----------------------

:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: """""685 is a highly recommended partner"""".... I think i need to sell my rotel PA's, Arcam pre and buy the PM6004.
I am a complete jackass for not reading the review before. It would have saved me a huge wad of cash :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I try to steer clear of recommendations from a review that is highly subjective, without measurements or bench testing. Not that reviews with objective measurements are any better, but at-least you know the performance of the unit on paper. I agree that both the so called Audio/video magazines available in India are crap, no measurements of any sorts, just listing manufacturer specs. verbatim and probably biased towards the big advertisers. Hence one should try and get opinions from online mags, forums etc. before buying.
Cheers,
Sid

Same here. I have stopped relying on reviews to tell me anything. The forums are a better source of info as the responses usually have some practical basis. Posting a question on the forum provides better responses than all the reviews.

There is a saying "In theory, theory and practice are same". ;)

Hi All,

I have bought the what hi fi vision since it came into the Indian market.

Just sold all the magazines that I had since the beginning recently.

But I do not ever trust what they say completely, I always take opinions based on online forums such as ours or actually DEMO the combination or product they are advertising if possible.

I ONLY use them for journal or information purposes for new products that's it.

Just my two bits, back on the forum after a long time.

Additionally they have recommended the below (!!!) as pairing well with the amp.

---------- snip ------
----------------------

I have demoed this amp with Monitor audio RX6 and RS8 yesterday and it barely managed to drive the RX6 while it cannot drive the RS8 at all. Both are high sensitive (90db) designs and are 6Ohms.

Now the PM6004 is rated 45w at 8Ohm and 60w at 4Ohm (and probably 50w at 6Ohm)

Now WHO IN A RIGHT MIND WILL RECOMMEND THIS FOR A B&W 685?? These are low senstivity speakers with absolutely no intention of obeying low powered amps.

And the Tannoy Revolution DC6 T floorstanders ??? WHAT WERE THEY EVEN THINKIING??

I have doubts of even if they do any kind of pairing before writing such recommendations.

I know of atleast one person who got affected because of this. You spend 70k and realize that these morons commited a mistake?

And with what authority is marantz marking these as 45w/ch?? I had an old NAD C320 amp marked 40w/ch and drove big floorstanders with ease. I have experienced 50w/ch rotels which pump great power into B&Ws. This 45w/ch is more like half that number comparatively.

A kind advice to all, discredit me as you wish, but please refrain from reading such junk reviews and jumping into conclusions. I believe these guys are playing with our money by taking money from the respective companies.
Audition the pair yourself and come to conclusions.

If you buy any components without audition based on reviews, you WILL repent.

On a separate note I am planning to but the MA RX 6, what amp do you think is good enough to drive them comfortably ? Yamaha A710 ?

What can one say about a magazine that thinks the best amp, regardless of budget, is the Roksan Caspian ???

BLasto, howdy! Quite a firestarter of a thread! ;) But you are right in some ways, Whathifi never reveals how they test equipment! Stereophile is a lot better in this aspect. I always thought we have to take whf's ratings conservatively, or even disregard sometimes!
Hopefully, your & musicbee's search has ended in a fine pair of speakers and amp(s)!!

BLasto, howdy! Quite a firestarter of a thread! ;) But you are right in some ways, Whathifi never reveals how they test equipment! Stereophile is a lot better in this aspect. I always thought we have to take whf's ratings conservatively, or even disregard sometimes!
Hopefully, your & musicbee's search has ended in a fine pair of speakers and amp(s)!!

No end near in sight... the only thing increasing is my budget!!!

Coming to WhatHiFi... well I would have blindly bought their "recommended combo" of KEF Q300 + Marantz PM6004 but now I'm not so sure especially after my last couple of rounds of auditioning.

what hi fi reviews need to be taken with a pinch of salt. . . nay, with a pound of salt!

IMHO, it is a completely "bought" publication. i would trust a stereophile review (a little catiously), a 6 moons review (recommended) or even a PFO review (again very respectable)...

but, mostly I would trust my own ears.

After JGH I stopped reading all magazines except the adverts (to find out who the dealers are) and maybe for specifications like sizes and weight.

Most experienced audiophiles do not touch publications like these with a ten foot pole. Like Sid pointed out, there are some respectable publications whose reviews can be trusted from a technical point of view.

Liking the sound of a gear is a very subjective exercise of course!

It was probably written by a nitwit who is probably hearing impaired.
The 6004 with the Tannoy Rev or 685 ... ha ha ha .

:

nope it was probably written by a nitwit who hasnt even heard this pairing
but googled some popular speaker names

nope it was probably written by a nitwit who hasnt even heard this pairing
but googled some popular speaker names

Who will have the time and devotion to google it...
My suggestion to whatshifi.

Keep some cards like monopoly game, One set for Amplifiers and other for speakers.

Once an AMP manufacturing company pays shuffle the set of speaker cards and pick few. then from old editions pick one review on speaker and amp. Now find and replace amp with new amp and speaker with speaker name picked from the pack.

In a serious note this error could be a proof error, like misplace a para intended for some other article.

better suggestion to what hi fi
this suggestion will save them a lot of money too

read hifivision!

they can fire a few reviewers and donate their salary here

WhatHi-Fi it seems is there to promote British audio industry. they make such a song and dance out of everything British and seem to have no interest in honestly reviewing products from other places.

--G0bble

MA Rx6 pairs well with Marantz SR6005 for music in case you want AVR ( personal experience).

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back