Whats wrong with MARANTZ 6013!

Akshit2111

Guys
I went to take a demo for marantz sr6013 and denon x3500h.
So first my bluetooth failed to connect with both the receivers.. like my phone just cudnt scan the bluetooth. Tried with another phone but same problem.
1) marantz sr6013
Next highly dissapointed with the sound.. like really really dissapointed. Was using 2 channel music playback on this receiver but the voice was so lean like too much if treble that i almost had a headache.. no bass also.. ( these observations on aux since bt failed to connect)..
Ps note:- i had pioneer vsx 831 which i had recently sold.. the experience was such that i thought of buying pioneer again
Tried diff settings on marantz but cudnt improve much..
2) denon x3500
The moment it connected to apple iphone xs thru bluetooth the sound had so much distortion on higher volumes that the experience at higher volumes was such as listening to a 10k amplifier.. like pathetic.. though it was loud as compared to marantz but not satisfying..

Please guys if you can help me!
Also played blu ray player still performance wasnt satisfactory.
Your inputs wud be highly appreciated !

Were those avr set in Pure Direct mode?
I have written in this forum that marantz do not sound same way.As you said lean and not as warm as earlier models.Power rating are not same as earlier.More features but powersupply not upgraded much.

So what option do i have?

So what option do i have?
Demo some other brands too.Recently l found yamaha rxv685 has better parts and powersupply.Also pioneer lx one.Audition is must now a days.

Yamaha rxv685 specs-
It consumes more power(590w) than earlier model(400w or less).
Also it has 4 dac chips, one for 2 ch unlike regularly used as single 8ch Burbrown dac.

Last edited:
If you like pioneer try yamaha 1080 or 2080, you may like it.
Yamaha a series are very nice and high grade.

With number of channels increasing, more money goes into pre processing and intelligent power distribution.
So something's gotta give. Usually the PS section gets left behind the feature curve.
Having said this, SR6013 is supposed to be 110Wpc (FTC)
2 ch performance should be good with these numbers.
Audition again please. Listen thru a good source like CD, not phone or BT.
Listen to only 2 ch, then 2.1 for music
Then try 3.2, 5.2, 7.2, 7.2.2, 5.2.4, etc for movies.
Cheers,
Raghu

, SR6013 is supposed to be 110Wpc (FTC)
Earlier models used to give guaranty of 70% power per channel even in HT.Some online reviews like HT lab has confirmed it.They are not giving newer models real power ratings now a days.
I have been following some tech specs and found that main power capacitor ratings were changed.l in marantz avrs.
Before marantz **"5 series , 6*** did use 14000 uf caps even with less features.
SR6006 uses 12000uf caps.
SR6008 down to 10000uf.
So even with more features,power supply not up to the mark.
SR6011 uses 12000uf caps
,but channels are 9 now and consider bluetooth ,wifi etc.
For the price we pay,quality is not maintained by marantz.
Yamaha on other hand has improved powersupply(check my earlier post).

SR6013 claims 70% too; Even assuming 70% of 110W, which is 70+ it should not sound lean.
Maybe the OP heard a bad setup.

As you have stated, too much going on under the hood.
Cheers,
Raghu

SR6013 claims 70% too; Even assuming 70% of 110W, which is 70+ it should not sound lean.
Maybe the OP heard a bad setup.

As you have stated, too much going on under the hood.
Cheers,
Raghu
Yes but not for all channel (70%)as earlier.
Their preamp now uses HDAM which may need better tuning.

Demo some other brands too.Recently l found yamaha rxv685 has better parts and powersupply.Also pioneer lx one.Audition is must now a days.

Yamaha rxv685 specs-
It consumes more power(590w) than earlier model(400w or less).
Also it has 4 dac chips, one for 2 ch unlike regularly used as single 8ch Burbrown dac.
I guess aventage line i can look into.. i guess the price for 1080 wud be more or less same as of 6013.

Guys
I went to take a demo for marantz sr6013 and denon x3500h.
So first my bluetooth failed to connect with both the receivers.. like my phone just cudnt scan the bluetooth. Tried with another phone but same problem.
1) marantz sr6013
Next highly dissapointed with the sound.. like really really dissapointed. Was using 2 channel music playback on this receiver but the voice was so lean like too much if treble that i almost had a headache.. no bass also.. ( these observations on aux since bt failed to connect)..
Ps note:- i had pioneer vsx 831 which i had recently sold.. the experience was such that i thought of buying pioneer again
Tried diff settings on marantz but cudnt improve much..
2) denon x3500
The moment it connected to apple iphone xs thru bluetooth the sound had so much distortion on higher volumes that the experience at higher volumes was such as listening to a 10k amplifier.. like pathetic.. though it was loud as compared to marantz but not satisfying..

Please guys if you can help me!
Also played blu ray player still performance wasnt satisfactory.
Your inputs wud be highly appreciated !

Can you elaborate where you auditioned these systems? What speakers (brand and type) were connected? What sub was used? Was it a proper demo room treated or untreated? Was the dealer trying to push another brand of AVR or was just in a hurry to go home or was giving a I dont care attitude for customers?

With number of channels increasing, more money goes into pre processing and intelligent power distribution.
So something's gotta give. Usually the PS section gets left behind the feature curve.
Having said this, SR6013 is supposed to be 110Wpc (FTC)
Audition again please. Listen thru a good source like CD, not phone or BT.
Listen to only 2 ch, then 2.1 for music
Then try 3.2, 5.2, 7.2, 7.2.2, 5.2.4, etc for movies.
Cheers,
Raghu
I listened to blu ray and i wudnt rate tye performance as satisfying! I know u guys hate bluetooth but since i use bluetooth alot for me its sort of a benchmark... thats how i compare.. bt is a common source to judge performance..

Earlier models used to give guaranty of 70% power per channel even in HT.Some online reviews like HT lab has confirmed it.They are not giving newer models real power ratings now a days.
I have been following some tech specs and found that main power capacitor ratings were changed.l in marantz avrs.
Before marantz **"5 series , 6*** did use 14000 uf caps even with less features.
SR6006 uses 12000uf caps.
SR6008 down to 10000uf.
So even with more features,power supply not up to the mark.
SR6011 uses 12000uf caps
,but channels are 9 now and consider bluetooth ,wifi etc.
For the price we pay,quality is not maintained by marantz.
Yamaha on other hand has improved powersupply(check my earlier post).
If you have experience between yamaha denon marantz of late please do share !

Generally the biggest problem is to get all the gear under one roof.. very very few dealers i nnow have the speaker model i have then those who have either privide lackluster demo or they are devoid of any knowledge.. its all a mess here in delhi!!!

Can you elaborate where you auditioned these systems? What speakers (brand and type) were connected? What sub was used? Was it a proper demo room treated or untreated? Was the dealer trying to push another brand of AVR or was just in a hurry to go home or was giving a I dont care attitude for customers?
Speakers were polk rti a7.. i specially asked him to open box new speakers..
Demo place:-- AV ZONE chitranjan park new delhi
No sub was used.. the bass on these speakers is adequate for my liking and i have opened the volume on my pioneer avr plenty of times never did i faced this issue of such heavy distortion.
Yes the attitude wasnt that great.. though i personally know mr sanjeev but he seemed a little tired.

Speakers were polk rti a7.. i specially asked him to open box new speakers..
Demo place:-- AV ZONE chitranjan park new delhi
No sub was used.. the bass on these speakers was nust adequate for my liking and i have opened the volume on my pioneer avr plenty of times never did i faced this issue of such heavy distortion.
Yes the attitude wasnt that great.. though i personally know mr sanjeev but he seemed a little tired.
New speakers also can sound lean and need break in time.

If you have experience between yamaha denon marantz of late please do share !
I have not taken demo of yamaha recently,but earlier models had similar sound signature(not very thick but enjoyable).
Currently Denon are marginally better than marantz(similar prize range models).Still power and headroom is an issue.Its not easy to say in words ,but demo can tell better.Listen in pure direct mode to know real sound signature.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back