Where do you stand on accuracy vs euphonics wrt amplification

If such a device evokes the same emotional connect you feel when listening to a live music event, I am in agreement. Otherwise it is only very academic, no ?
While you have a point, there is a flip side.
There is no guarantee that the "musically pleasing distortion" will affect each recording similarly (and thus please us)

While you have a point, there is a flip side.
There is no guarantee that the "musically pleasing distortion" will affect each recording similarly (and thus please us)

How would you know it is " musically pleasing distortion " that you hear in all such systems ? Of course, there are some gear that adds a certain distortion to make all music sound pleasant. But not all " subjective camp " gear are like that. Accuracy and high fidelity are not confined to only one type of approach. Many designers use measurement as the bedrock upon which they build. Specs is not the end but the beginning for some designs.

For example, how would you explain a move from a amplifier like Rotel which measures great for all known parameters to a Leben or Kronzilla 300B ? I would say for all songs, the Leben or Kronzilla will sound way better. What spec gives you that information ?

Also a solidstate amp like Accuphase or Luxman will sound better than Rotel with almost any speaker. But for all known measurement parameters, the Rotel will measure as good as it gets. So, how do you take a decision ?

Not looking for an argument but it is just a typical predicament that one can land up in.... I usually use my ears in such a situation.

Last edited:
For example, how would you explain a move from a amplifier like Rotel which measures great for all known parameters to a Leben or Kronzilla 300B ? I would say for all songs, the Leben or Kronzilla will sound way better. What spec gives you that information ?

Also a solidstate amp like Accuphase or Luxman will sound better than Rotel with almost any speaker. But for all known measurement parameters, the Rotel will measure as good as it gets. So, how do you take a decision ?

Not looking for an argument but it is just a typical predicament that one can land up in.... I usually use my ears in such a situation.
Curious to know, whether the said preference of sound was in full view of the amplifier or without the knowledge of it?
You know placebo is a real thing in medicine.

Curious to know, whether the said preference of sound was in full view of the amplifier or without the knowledge of it?
You know placebo is a real thing in medicine.

You can keep the amps hidden and let the listener play their music in whatever way they want for about 10 minutes and then switch to the other amplifier. Each time they will identify the amp they prefer. This applies to people who are playing this game with full personal stake. I am referring to people who have extensive knowledge of the amps in question in their personal systems and what it can do to their music.

Iam beginning to think i need to create a different playlist - of songs that sound well with this - thats how brutual it is.
Iam not sure how much of KEF's inherent brightness plays into this.

So i want to try and switch to roon or a room EQ and say use some treble controls.

A very resolving and transparent system essentially gives you a deeper look into the recording. The art of the musician and the science of the engineer is laid bare in front of you. If the science is done well, you enjoy the music well indeed. If the science is not so great you still enjoy the music but you might ponder why the engineering is not so great. But either way, the art comes through and if you are a music lover, a good system will never make you turn off the system. End of the day, most music you like should sound good on your chosen system. A music system should never decide what music you should listen to. It may help you explore more music though.

o_O .... deep man. Dont worry though, iam not abandoning my favs ....probably will create a sub list of favs that work better with this system .....

@spaace

So happy for you man.

Don't forget to enjoy your musics. .....and also that mood and weather also influence how the music 'sound'. If you really want to enjoy to the fullest, get lots of sunshine (not the gears off course....I mean you) :D :D :D

Jokes apart, I do feel transparency improves with better measured gears. (I find my Kali LP 8 + Sabaj D5 quite enjoyable....and I have checked with mostly Pink Floyds 24 bit 196 khz )

Thanks Enkay .. If i may ask ...Where did you get those tracks from ? Hd tracks ? Isnt that better than cd definition ?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back