Where in Bangkok will I get cheap TVs? Looking for a 40 Inch Sony HX-855

tanmayj

Hi,

I'm going to Bangkok for 3 days - plan to buy a 40 Inch 3D LED TV. I have a series of questions about it.

Internet connectivity is required. Besides that I don't really neeed 'smart' features like Facebook and Skype integrations. As long as the TV can play Youtube, I'm OK.

Questions:

1) IS THE FOLLOWING POINT CORRECT, OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING? - MotionFlow is probably the single most important feature I should be looking at. The higher the motion-flow, the better it is. It is totally worth it to spend money on an 800 Hz MF TV over a 400 HZ TV.
2) Which of these technologies are better: XReality Pro Engine/ XReality Picture Engine/ Bravia 3?
3) Which of these LED panels is better: Edge LED, Dynamic Edge LED?

I'm looking at a 40 Incher HX-855. Any feedback on this?

Questions related to shopping in Bangkok:

1) I was shocked to see the Sony Thailand website (sony.co.th) listing exactly the same price for an HX 855 (47K THB) as an HX 850 in India (93K INR). WHERE ARE THE CHEAP TVs? Are the 'Cheap TVs' a part of some underground/ Grey market in Bangkok?
2) Any specific shops/ malls that you can suggest where I can get cheap TVs?

Questions related to customs:

The customs website says that the duty exemption of 35000 INR is for 'more than 3 days' stay. When they say more than 3 days, do they only consider the dates, or the times of the flight as well?
I have a 1:05 AM outgoing flight on Day 1 (for eg: 1st Jan). I land back from Bangkok at 12:05 AM incoming flight on Day 4 (4th Jan). Now I can easily check in before 12 AM on the day of my outgoing flight. If I do that, then the exit date on the customs stamp will be 31st Dec, and the entry date will be 4th Jan.

1) If customs considers only the dates, this is 4 days, i.e: 'more than 3 days', which means I should be eligible for a duty free limit of 35000 INR.

2) If customs considers the time of flight departure, then it would be 1:05 AM on Jan 1st outgoing and 12:05 AM on Jan 4th Incoming. This would make it 3 days - which would entitle me to a much lesser duty free allowance.

Which of these two conditions is the correct one as enforced by customs at Mumbai?

I bought my TV from a shop in indira square market. It was with the bill and thailand warranty.

I dont recommend you to buy from grey market in thailand. I understand the price difference b/w indian and other countries has come down in the recent past.

Further you may find some offers in Bangkok on some specific models, if you buy one of them then the price difference will be huge. So instead of deciding on one model; you decide on two or three models and buy the one with maximum difference.

Also calculate the total cost before taking final decision: (tv price-vat refund)+Customs+installation if wall mounting(about 2 to 3k)-(no warranty).

I think many of Sony models are available in the grey markets in india with no warranty, you may check that also.

Regards

Cant we get the warranty extended to India too?

Can somebody also comment on whether it makes sense to pay the difference for motionflow 800hz?

Hi,

I'm going to Bangkok for 3 days - plan to buy a 40 Inch 3D LED TV. I have a series of questions about it.

Internet connectivity is required. Besides that I don't really neeed 'smart' features like Facebook and Skype integrations. As long as the TV can play Youtube, I'm OK.

Questions:

1) IS THE FOLLOWING POINT CORRECT, OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING? - MotionFlow is probably the single most important feature I should be looking at. The higher the motion-flow, the better it is. It is totally worth it to spend money on an 800 Hz MF TV over a 400 HZ TV.
LCD panels have slow response time. This results in judder. To correct this LCD TVs (LED TVs are also LCD TVs) introduce high refresh rate and interpolating predictive interframes logic to introduce "new" frames in between. This is known by many names with different manufacturers - Sony calls it Motionflow. Motion correction results in judder free picture but that also introduces the soap opera effect. This was one of the few main reasons that I chose not to go with the LCD/LED TVs but go with plasma. But I don't want to introduce a debate here. To answer your question, "Yes. The higher the motionflow rate the less will be the judder but picture will start looking unreal (what is known as the soap opera effect). You must decide what is best for you".

2) Which of these technologies are better: XReality Pro Engine/ XReality Picture Engine/ Bravia 3?
These are various names of various motion correcting technologies in Sony. The first is the best but makes the TV that much costlier.

3) Which of these LED panels is better: Edge LED, Dynamic Edge LED?
Dynamic Edge LED will have dimming control that will make the picture generate more contrast and hence better.

I'm looking at a 40 Incher HX-855. Any feedback on this?
It is one of the best LED TVs around. Very few TVs (and only high-end/costlier models) exceed its performance.

Questions related to customs:

The customs website says that the duty exemption of 35000 INR is for 'more than 3 days' stay. When they say more than 3 days, do they only consider the dates, or the times of the flight as well?
I have a 1:05 AM outgoing flight on Day 1 (for eg: 1st Jan). I land back from Bangkok at 12:05 AM incoming flight on Day 4 (4th Jan). Now I can easily check in before 12 AM on the day of my outgoing flight. If I do that, then the exit date on the customs stamp will be 31st Dec, and the entry date will be 4th Jan.

1) If customs considers only the dates, this is 4 days, i.e: 'more than 3 days', which means I should be eligible for a duty free limit of 35000 INR.

2) If customs considers the time of flight departure, then it would be 1:05 AM on Jan 1st outgoing and 12:05 AM on Jan 4th Incoming. This would make it 3 days - which would entitle me to a much lesser duty free allowance.

Which of these two conditions is the correct one as enforced by customs at Mumbai?

For the sake of safety, I would take it 3 days or 72 hours inside a foreign nation, i.e., date of arrival in Bangkok till date of departure from there. This leaves no room for ambiguity.

Bumping this old thread. One of my friends is going to visit Bangkok next week. I just want to know whether it is still lucrative to buy electronics and TVs from Thailand. How much duty does one have to pay? Heard that things have changed a lot. Need updated information. If possible please let me know about the name/address of the places where one can get good deals on TVs, Amps, AVRs in Bangkok.

Indira Gandhi market,I bought from there 5 years ago,was half the price as is here,nowadays duty is heavy,still made in Thailand tvs can be preferred since mine works flawlessly,better quality.

One of the shops recommended by the HiFi Member from Thailand, is "Future World" in KhlongToey area.
I have found the best rates here and have brought all my audio/video equipment from them.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back