Where should I Start ? First build help.

Movieseeker

My old cheap desktop speakers died So I was looking for new speakers online and had a thought why don't i just build my Speaker similar to what I did with my pc and keyboard. I didn't realize what I was getting into....

For Start, I am looking to build a compact bookshelf with amplifier that's strictly under budget, I use headphones most of the times so i don't want to spend much on this build so want to build this as cheap as possible but something decent for occasional music listening.

Initially thought of building something like this looks compact and beautiful or These ones but what do I use to power them with?
dynamites-listing-04.jpg
* Does building an amplifier with this TDA7294 based 200 watt good enough ?
* Would I get better experience with TTC5200 boards? If so, should I buy boards like this online for 2200₹
* Build something like this from scratch.
* OR Just get some amplifier like this SOUND KING SK25000?
* Is Doogesound drivers good in the first place or should I stick to branded drivers?

There just seem to be so many options and so many variables, Honestly for a newbie its all very overwhelming. I would love to learn more about building speaker as I go. So i am here to ask you guys where should i start what brand of drivers and mainly amplifier should I look to build/buy? Is there any build plans for newbie you recommand ?

I have tried my hands on few speaker builds. Trust me, you are better of getting ready made speakers, you will not only save time but won't have the headache of getting them sound right. Infact you may spend more in making a DIY speaker than buying of the self.
Driver parameters, box measurements, crossover need to be correct or it won't gel well.

Coming to amplifier, it can be made and you can venture in this hobby. Many FMs have tried and got good success. The only challenge is the cabinet, as the one you want maybe hard to find.

My first question to you would be, have you bought or heard decent speakers with a amplifier?

If not, would suggest you to go with off the shelf first ready-made. Once you know how it sounds you have a benchmark, listen to other systems in audition centres.
This will help you getting DIY speakers or amplifier to sound right, you will know what is wrong and how to fix it.

I have tried my hands on few speaker builds. Trust me, you are better of getting ready made speakers, you will not only save time but won't have the headache of getting them sound right. Infact you may spend more in making a DIY speaker than buying of the self.
Driver parameters, box measurements, crossover need to be correct or it won't gel well.

Coming to amplifier, it can be made and you can venture in this hobby. Many FMs have tried and got good success. The only challenge is the cabinet, as the one you want maybe hard to find.

My first question to you would be, have you bought or heard decent speakers with a amplifier?

If not, would suggest you to go with off the shelf first ready-made. Once you know how it sounds you have a benchmark, listen to other systems in audition centres.
This will help you getting DIY speakers or amplifier to sound right, you will know what is wrong and how to fix it.
Yes heard speakers with amp in shops.
About pre-made speakers, is there anything around 5-7k ?
As for the amplifiers I actually found a cabinet along with fans for cheap. But finding the right board seems really hard.

Yes heard speakers with amp in shops.
About pre-made speakers, is there anything around 5-7k ?
As for the amplifiers I actually found a cabinet along with fans for cheap. But finding the right board seems really hard.

Micca suggested are really good, go for used IA amps which should be around 10-15k the older ones which Sound amazing too.

What is your budget?

This micca MB42 speakers will fit in your budget if you are looking for new. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B009IUIV4A/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_RNE3YDQEH26F6H5YW36A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
wow didn't knew about this before, wish i found out sooner. So currently the two speaker plans I learned to build are the one in the video and Doogesound one both of this speakers plan esimates to 6-7k roughly with speaker cabinet and crossover. Now i guess it's really complicated for newbie but let's say for an argument that can be done, Would it build sound better than MB42 or no.

I feel like building would be lot more fun and help me in the future for making a better one for TV or music systems.

wow didn't knew about this before, wish i found out sooner. So currently the two speaker plans I learned to build are the one in the video and Doogesound one both of this speakers plan esimates to 6-7k roughly with speaker cabinet and crossover. Now i guess it's really complicated for newbie but let's say for an argument that can be done, Would it build sound better than MB42 or no.

I feel like building would be lot more fun and help me in the future for making a better one for TV or music systems.
If you buy a pair of Micca, you spend only Rs.10800 averaging about Rs.5400 a piece. Like senior forumer amrutmhatre says, it may not get the finishing touch like a professional company made speakers give and costs could be more. But your creativity bone is tickled and is a nice excercise to have your mind and body at work to give some primal satisfaction.

I once had a carpenter carve out some wood and assemble it the way I wanted to make a shelf for BR discs and PS4 games. The carpenter kept suggesting to do it his way but I insisted on my design. After it was done I found some satisfaction as it served my purpose. Just that, that kind of finishing can be achieved by a skilled labourer only. And since it has nothing to do with electrical and electronics it was a good end result. Minor imperfections and blemishes are not of concern to me at all. But if a speaker is made diy and it does not sound good or as expected, you'd have a dissatisfaction. But you can always try. Not trying to discourage.

Check out Sonodyne Genie 1. Good ones to start with within budget. Later if you want to upgrade, just use this pair as surrounds. A pair should cost you around 7.5k.

If you buy a pair of Micca, you spend only Rs.10800 averaging about Rs.5400 a piece. Like senior forumer amrutmhatre says, it may not get the finishing touch like a professional company made speakers give and costs could be more. But your creativity bone is tickled and is a nice excercise to have your mind and body at work to give some primal satisfaction.

I once had a carpenter carve out some wood and assemble it the way I wanted to make a shelf for BR discs and PS4 games. The carpenter kept suggesting to do it his way but I insisted on my design. After it was done I found some satisfaction as it served my purpose. Just that, that kind of finishing can be achieved by a skilled labourer only. And since it has nothing to do with electrical and electronics it was a good end result. Minor imperfections and blemishes are not of concern to me at all. But if a speaker is made diy and it does not sound good or as expected, you'd have a dissatisfaction. But you can always try. Not trying to discourage.
Thanks, Which Pre-built Amp or DIY board for this MB42?

Also for speaker box, found a local small scale speaker box builders who asked me to send them the video and they will make it exactly like that for cheap.

@Movieseeker for your first build go with pre built Lm3886 boards or Lm1875 boards , check diyaudiocart they have some decent pre built boards you can also check tpa3118 or acrylic , allo boards preety cheap.

@Movieseeker for your first build go with pre built Lm3886 boards or Lm1875 boards , check diyaudiocart they have some decent pre built boards you can also check tpa3118 or acrylic , allo boards preety cheap.
Oh damn I didn't think about this board, is there anything different or better than Ttc5200 about this and also what transformer should I use along with it?

Oh damn I didn't think about this board, is there anything different or better than Ttc5200 about this and also what transformer should I use along with it?
Try the allo tpa3118/6 amplifier it has all the required protection and needs only a laptop power supply to get going.

Regards
Aniket Das

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back