Where to get Speaker Surround Foam?

ShutterX

I have an old pair of Infinity SM-65s. The surround foams of the woofers have melted away due to age and decompsition. They still work fine so i wish to refoam them. Where can i get 6.5inch surround foam? And what kind of adhesive should i use?

cheers

I like this ebay seller -
20 Piece 6 inch 6 5" Repair Subwoofer Speaker Rubber Surrounds | eBay

I've bought several from him and have been very happy. He posts dimensions of the rubber. Measure yours and get the one that fits.

I had sm65's ~ a yr ago. I traded it away without fixing its foam.

Cool.
Srinath.

Thanks for the link. These are very old speakers and in bad condition. I just want to use them as backups or temps. Hence I would want something i can pick up locally/quickly. Iam sure 6.5 woofer foam surrounds are available here somewhere in Delhi

Just go to your electronics place ( we have chadni chowk in kolkata) take the woofers along you will get something, but beware it wont sound like it used to after refoam locally.

Did Sidewinder not reply? I've got driver surround foams done from him and he does an excellent job.

I went to Lajpat Rai Market today. Hunted a while and found a repair guy. Replaced the surrounds. the tweeters which were not working were also fixed. A ran back home and installed the drivers back. I have been listening to music nonstop since then.

Sounds good. Woofer does not have much excursion. maybe the surrounds need to be run in. So playing slightly bassy tracks. Not bad at all for backup speakers.

Just go to your electronics place ( we have chadni chowk in kolkata) take the woofers along you will get something, but beware it wont sound like it used to after refoam locally.

Surrounds have a "stiffness" even among the same type. Like accordion cloth is the stiffest, but even among those they have varying levels.
I've noticed rubber is far more flexible than foam. As a result replacing a foam with rubber almost immediately increases the spl and freq extension.
In the cases of small book shelves, its usually good, but it can also grow into the mid's range and can be bad.
Anyway you may have just got used to listening to a wearing and disintegrating surround long before the surround actually went. So you may be used to a different sound as well. It could be sounding - right with a new surround.

Surrounds usually break in as well, and sometimes they can make a tch tch sound at times during break in.

Cool.
Srinath.

Yes i agree, everything impacts tonality that Is why I said it wont sound like before. Usually a speaker is designed to sound a a certain way, that will change.

I have an old pair of Infinity SM-65s. The surround foams of the woofers have melted away due to age and decompsition. They still work fine so i wish to refoam them. Where can i get 6.5inch surround foam? And what kind of adhesive should i use?
cheers

Hi,
Foam surround do not need run in. The surround will have to be of the same geometry, the density & shore hardness will also needs to be the same as in the original. And in many cases the foam materials... poly foam, poylether foam, Hd foam LD foam... ect. I can supply you with the closest one, which will ensure the sound to be exactly as same as before with guarantee
If you want foam surrounds for your Infinity SM 65. I can get you the original replacement surrounds for your drivers. I am about to get parts from abroad which will be finalized in a day or two.
Kindly confirm ASAP so I can add them to my order list.
Vivek

Last edited:

It depends were is the job done & by whom. Original factory replacement parts from abroad, done by professional experts will change your way of thinking for sure.
Vivek

Hi,
Foam surround do not need run in. The surround will have to be of the same geometry, the density & shore hardness will also needs to be the same as in the original. And in many cases the foam materials... poly foam, poylether foam, Hd foam LD foam... ect. I can supply you with the closest one, which will ensure the sound to be exactly as same as before with guarantee
If you want foam surrounds for your Infinity SM 65. I can get you the original replacement surrounds for your drivers. I am about to get parts from abroad which will be finalized in a day or two.
Kindly confirm ASAP so I can add them to my order list.
Vivek

Hi. Thanks but i have acquired surrounds from Delhi itself. 6.5 inch rubber surrounds. Since i am planning on buying new speakers anyways, i decided to not spend much to repair these. Hence DIY'd

Attachments

• IMG_20151014_200054.jpg
    IMG_20151014_200054.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 25
I don't know if these surrounds need running in. I noticed the bass response to be quite weak even for speakers that start at 75hz. Don't know, maybe because it's not the original fit.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back