Where to report defected items received from fellow member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were the parcel outer also damaged? The inner item cannot sustain damage if the outer package is intact.

Your pre power were shipped in wooden boxes. If there was insufficient packing material around the pre power then the wooden box itself would have damaged the items.

Looking at the condition of the package, you can guess whose fault it was.

Please share photos of the condition of the items if they can salvaged with a little expense.

Sorry that your savings had to go this way.

Packing is both skill and art. The packing has to be done keeping in mind the physical properties of the product being dispatched, distribution of weight, all the possible mishandling and abuse during transportation.

I had purchased some Hi-end equipment from FM Shafiq long back, including a highly regarded Lenco L70 TT. He had sent them in very robust packing. He had put lot of soft packing material inside and proper holdings in the corners, top and bottom. All critical parts of Lenco TT like tone arm, heavy weight platter etc. packed separately with sponge cover and neatly staked, so weight of one item should not damage another item. The plinth of the TT was made of natural teakwood, and the dust cover was actually made of Real Glass and teak wood. He paid lot of attention, so even the glass should not break what so ever the transportation abuse. To un-cover all the packing it was taken almost half a day.

Another time I got an used Vintage mid-fi Cartridge with Stylus from another seller of Mumbai. I have shocked to receive a big box of 8" x 8" from courier guy. The seller has put that small 1" x 2" cartridge box completely bubble wrapped, sitting tight in a Steel Tiffin Box. The steel box was then double box packed having nearly 2" thermo-coal padding all around at each stage. and again heatsinking plastic wrap outside cartoon box.

I also brought lot of very delicate 78 rpm shellac plates from Mumbai and Delhi intact, without any damage. Hats off to those sellers, skill and teqniques of their packing.

This is how some people know the real value of their products and take care while shipping so it should reach the buyer safely.

I appreciate the sellers if they take proper precautions while packing and shipping.

External pressure can damage the items like speakers even without damaging the pakage.usually courier person they throw the boxes unless it's heavy and need two persons to move. have you ever seen how they throw the baggages at airport .

Thanks buddy your support but we should make such sellers banned
It's very unfortunate. But my sincere view and advice is when we are buying the equipment with this much huge amount is better go to near by dealer may be max 50 to 100km radius and purchase first hand items instead of purchasing the items which we can't inspect or auditioned.
1.50 laks is really huge amount.

It's very unfortunate. But my sincere view and advice is when we are buying the equipment with this much huge amount is better go to near by dealer may be max 50 to 100km radius and purchase first hand items instead of purchasing the items which we can't inspect or auditioned.
1.50 laks is really huge amount.
Actually I m from Delhi and this guy is from indore and he is very old member in the forum and that’s y I trusted him

share pictures of packing at various stages and once you are satisfied then only give a go ahead.
This (above quote) and a live video call (FaceTime, Google duo, WhatsApp, signal, Skype etc) where you can observe the item clearly, watch it being connected, switched on, and working before committing and making payment are ways to be sure.
It’s good also to discuss how well and safely items would be packed.
Insurance for damage during transport is another thing to consider specially if the items are of high value.
We often see this “shipping at buyers risk” . If despite all this items are damaged, then the only thing to do is to claim insurance (if it’s paid for)

This (above quote) and a live video call (FaceTime, Google duo, WhatsApp, signal, Skype etc) where you can observe the item clearly, watch it being connected, switched on, and working before committing and making payment are ways to be sure.
It’s good also to discuss how well and safely items would be packed.
Insurance for damage during transport is another thing to consider specially if the items are of high value.
We often see this “shipping at buyers risk” . If despite all this items are damaged, then the only thing to do is to claim insurance (if it’s paid for)
Seriously I was very new to you buying stuff from other state and that guy from this reputed since 2010 so I trusted his decision of packaging and shipping.

An edit: there’s absolutely nothing wrong with buying used. However, there are certain best practices that can be adopted by both buyers and sellers as already elucidated by the FMs above.

It would also behoove well for FMs to go through the guidelines for buying/selling stuff before they go ahead with their transactions. This is not the first time this issue has cropped up on this forum.

I do not want to add insult to injury but above all, as pointed out by the FMs, always insist on insurance. I remember my first transaction on this forum where though the buyer never asked for insurance and suggested that speakers are hardy enough to withstand damage during shipping, i insisted that insurance be applied.

Why? Because I remember going through a number of courier companies and i asked them point blank how my shipment was going to be handled and when they said that they could not guarantee that despite a “fragile” tag, the item would not be tossed around, that was enough to throw caution to the winds and i shipped the item only when i could find a courier company which was willing to insure the item (bluedart in my case).

Also, we aren’t strangers to how our baggage is manhandled at airports despite fragile tags.

OP sad to hear about your experience. I think no words are going to help in this case. You have decided to go public here, I am going to assume you have spoken to the seller and haven't found a satisfactory response.

FWIW would like to share my experiences ( they may benefit new members planning to use this forum to buy/sell equipment)

I have experience buying equipment from Mumbai (AN India) and one respected FM here who sold me a heavy tube amp no less from Delhi. I had to return shipment to AN India as speakers came in a very poorly packed box (without wooden create) the Crossovers were dangling inside; AN India obviously to their credit replaced the speakers. Now when I made my first purchase on this forum a KT88 PP from @malvai , he packed them in a bomb-proof manner. Basically, the Amp was put inside the OEM package and then inside a plywood box. Despite not so great handling by DTDC I got the amplifier intact. I have since then bought DACs, LPs, and other stuff here (Delhi to Bangalore) and things have reached defect-free.

I learnt an important lesson from these experiences

1. Prioritize buying used equipment within your city
2. If buying used from a different city; do proper checks via videos and pictures (assume worse case and ask for information without hesitation) . Please remember all of us are buyers and seller at different points in time and genuine sellers never ever discourage inquiry and complete disclosure for none of us are doing this to make money.
3. Most importantly insist on bomb-proof packing i.e. wooden crates for speakers and Amps are a must; I say this even if OEM box may be new and good enough for sensible handling. We are still not a "developed" country and logistics business is not a huge margin business, expect that people working on the job are not well paid and have no incentive to baby your parcel. It costs a fraction of the product's cost to make a rugged wooden crate. Offer to share that burden with the seller and you can reduce the risk associated with buying used equipment in India significantly.
4. Finally there is always a possibility that a cosmetic defect or some wear and tear missed buyer scrutiny or the seller himself/herself forgot to mention it due to an honest mistake; I would say there are two ways to deal with this; some sellers offer returns within a stipulated period where buyer bears the shipping charges, it's good to discuss these terms before sealing the deal; I personally keep x% (where x varies per individual) tolerance (not money but, prepare mentally to uncover something that wasn't caught during checks) for such defects when buying used so long as they don't degrade functionality and aren't a huge eye sore.
Sir thanks for your response. This guy is not ready to take any responsibility of his poor packaging of expensive equipments.
He say I m of my own. No humbleness nothing.
I can easily puts pic n video n his contact details m everything here or lodge complaints in police station. As I got final shipment yesterday only.

I don’t want him to be defame publicly.
He is senior person n have family.
If mods says then I can share everything n tag him here.

Unfortunately it can't be controlled.total risk is on buyer.
This is no paid platform , it's a free service.
You can just narrate your experience, but no one can punish any member or set things right as no one has that authority

Last edited:
After this experience, I will now never trust anyone here in purchasing anything in this fourm.
If any damage in shipping it should be for 50-50 for both the party.

if all items coming in company boxes r getting damaged then god knows how really shipping works.
Is there something you could have done to prevent this from happening? Like for example, asked for clear pics of the equipment from all angles to determine in such an eventuality if it is transit damage or pre existing damage (which you are suspecting). Also, asked for pics/video of packaging (I’ve done that while buying from FMs, and they’ve been kind and forthcoming as well with it) and suggest changes that you deem necessary for safe transit.

Sad to know that stuff got damaged in transit. It is a huge risk, hence sellers put the risk and responsibility on the buyer. Buyer ideally needs to ensure that packing is perfect and courier company a reputed one. Plus if its expensive stuff, insure it. Looks like none of this was done from your end, unfortunately.

These discussions have happened numerous times on this forum and there are a lot of best practices listed while buying and selling.

Maybe I missed the post where you have posted pictures of the damage. Would be nice to see the extent of damage while comparing to pictures sent by seller before shipping.

MaSh

Last edited:
Sad to know that stuff got damaged in transit. It is a huge risk, hence sellers put the risk and responsibility on the buyer. Buyer ideally needs to ensure that packing is perfect and courier company a reputed one. Plus if its expensive stuff, insure it. Looks like none of this was done from your end, unfortunately.

These discussions have happened numerous times on this forum and there are a lot of best practices listed while buying and selling.

Maybe I missed the post where you have posted pictures of the damage. Would be nice to see the extent of damage while comparing to pictures sent by seller before shipping.

MaSh

MaSh
Will it be fine if I post and pre pics here in this thread?

Since everyone here is a detective and judge…
But be ready for all types of judgments, even those you may not be happy with!
Bitter truth is nothing much can be done .only the person should behave little ethically morally.try to be compassionate towrds the fm and discuss what best can be done with its repair

Yes please. I think if you post the pics some of the well known diy guys can help you out fixing the damage just in case.
Sure thing, I will upload pics tonight once I reach home.
Pre power amps can be easily repaired here in Delhi as they are from Lyrita and Lyrita office is in Delhi. But I don’t know how much they will charge.

But main problem is of Rythem saadhna speakers as both bass units needs repaired and one speaker bass module can’t even stand properly. Sending them to Rythem will be expensive affaire and they can tell expenses only after checking them..

I had to shell out huge money due to careless seller

Shipping is always an issue for most AV products. Most buyers dont want the extra costs of insurance too which could have protected you. While packing well is essential, not sure if wooden crating is possible during these lockdown times.

I dont see why a seller would deliberately pack badly. If you think he packed a defective product, then its a different ball game and then you need to call out for fraud.

Recently, I have sent a few outside blr, but I am always worried if any damage happens, the buyer could always blame me.

Shipping is always an issue for most AV products. Most buyers dont want the extra costs of insurance too which could have protected you. While packing well is essential, not sure if wooden crating is possible during these lockdown times.

I dont see why a seller would deliberately pack badly. If you think he packed a defective product, then its a different ball game and then you need to call out for fraud.

Recently, I have sent a few outside blr, but I am always worried if any damage happens, the buyer could always blame me.
Sir I don’t know if he placed defective products but I got everything defective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back