Which 5.1 speakers to buy?

deepak12

Hello all...I am returning from US to India in a few weeks and want to buy some speakers here before I fly back...I am getting Mirage Nanosat 5.1 for around $350, and from what I have read till now, these are very good speakers. However I have a few doubts:
1. Voltage/Frequency - I know I will need a 220/110 adapter, but is that it, or more?
2. Placement - My living room is big (dining and living combined) - approx 24 by 40 and has ceramic tiles with not much furniture. Have heard that these are good for small-medium sized rooms, but the good deal is kind of pushing me into it...

What do you guys say? (The deal is on for the next couple of days or so)

Also is it a good idea to buy an AV receiver from here, given the fact that it is heavy, customs, voltage etc?

1. Voltage/Frequency - I know I will need a 220/110 adapter, but is that it, or more?

Passive speakers have no electrical power requirement. So voltage is not an issue.

2. Placement - My living room is big (dining and living combined) - approx 24 by 40 and has ceramic tiles with not much furniture. Have heard that these are good for small-medium sized rooms, but the good deal is kind of pushing me into it...

24x40 is a large room. You have to allocate a part of the room for your HT uses, and place the speakers properly. If you room is empty, the sound will be hollow, echoing, and tinny, and this is not a fault of the speakers.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat...The voltage/frequency impacts I was referring to was to the subwoofer. I hear people complaining of a humming sound from the subs and attributing it to the frequency difference in AC Mains (50 vs 60), but am not sure.

And regarding the speaker placement, I know somewhat, but will get more tips from this forum. I am more concerned of the Mirage Nanosat being the right choice or not, since from various reviews I have seen, people are generally using them for small/medium rooms.

Thanks Venkat...The voltage/frequency impacts I was referring to was to the subwoofer. I hear people complaining of a humming sound from the subs and attributing it to the frequency difference in AC Mains (50 vs 60), but am not sure.

This could certainly be an issue.

And regarding the speaker placement, I know somewhat, but will get more tips from this forum. I am more concerned of the Mirage Nanosat being the right choice or not, since from various reviews I have seen, people are generally using them for small/medium rooms.

All sub/satellite speakers sets are meant for rooms between 125 to 200 Sq. feet.

Cheers

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back