Which amp for Dynaudio AUdience 52?

Rajesh_p

Audio Pandits, Oh Learned ones,

Since Dynaudio has a reputation (at least in the reviews) for needing lots of juiceI request all Dynaudio owners/ users please share your live experiences whether my 60wrms amp will be able to drive Audience 52 speakers at loud volumes. Im getting one for 32 k (2 years).

Room size: My room is 11 feet by 12 feet, And I would listen about 8 feet away and wish for a room filling experience
Amp: Naim Nait 5i
Source: Marantz 5001
Music: Classical Rock- Heavy Metal

Thank you

If I rem,ember right, the Naim can run a Dynaudio quite well.
I I may advise, dont be too hung up on the wattage though...there are 30W amps which can run it and 50W which may not be able to ;) it depends on how any amp can handle the 3-4 ohm impedance and the tough Phase at the 30-40Hz range ....so dont get caught up on specs !

Try to audition it and pay special attention to the Bass quality....if you are getting a full bass yo should be ok.

I currently use the same speakers with Marantz PM7001 (70wpc a 8ohms, 100 @ 4). I've found that this amp does a decent job of driving these speakers in a 180-200 sq ft room with a Marantz CD6000 OSE as a source. However, with low voltage inputs (like a dac or dvd player), the amp clearly struggles.

The 50wpc Marantz PM6000 OSE seems to do an equally good job so I would agree with the opinions above that wattage isnt the thing to focus on.

One thing to remember is that these are fairly transparent speakers and transmit the characteristics of the source and amplification through. As such, proper matching is important to make sure the sound suits your tastes.

Dynaudio in particular are played at their best when partnered with a high current amplifier , Naim may be capable of driving the Audience 52, but if you can get a good amplifier with more output , then the sound will be even more commanding and pleasing to listen.

Vijay.

If I rem,ember right, the Naim can run a Dynaudio quite well.

it depends on how any amp can handle the 3-4 ohm impedance and the tough Phase at the 30-40Hz range ....so dont get caught up on specs !

QUOTE]

I also am considering a Bryston 60 sst watts ? Will this be as good as Naim in regards to impedence/ Phase/ damping?

I currently use the same speakers with Marantz PM7001 (70wpc a 8ohms, 100 @ 4). I've found that this amp does a decent job of driving these speakers in a 180-200 sq ft room with a Marantz CD6000 OSE as a source. However, with low voltage inputs (like a dac or dvd player), the amp clearly struggles.

This can be fixed with a preamp that provides sufficient gain. That way you wont have to dump the power amp totally.

Regards

Will Dynaudio 52 start cracking when played at high volumes (2 oclock) when connected to low (50) watt amp?
Rajesh, it depends on the room size.

Dyns can even run with a 25Watt amp in smaller rooms (150 sq ft). What is more important is the capability to take a 4 Ohm load with phase nasties...so it is not really the power but the capability to drive tough loads which is important.

As mentioned,there will be 25 watters which can run it and 50 watters which may not.
I believe the Dyns have even been run with a leben 30 W tube amp..only problem with a lower perception of bass than with an SS (no cracking)

the point oin the source is valid..but this should be pretty well taken care of if the preamp is active..

Gobble help me understand, does Bryston and Naim donot have a a decent preamp to take care of the external dac vol gain?

Thank you
Umm thinking in common sense - Some sources like the cheap dvd players may have lesser voltage output signal than expected for standard CD Players. So the standard preamp built to use with standard equipment may not have sufficient gain to overcome it and still provide good dynamics and weight.

Edit : not sure of external DAC, but my post was really in response to the post that referenced cheap DVD players although I replied to a subsequent response.

Cheers

Will Dynaudio 52 start cracking when played at high volumes (2 oclock) when connected to low (50) watt amp?

Rajesh ,

Well The Dynaudio will produce a big sound when you increase the volume but if you want that speakers to SING you definitely need a High Current amplifier , no matter its a 30 watts Tube or a 100 watts SS.
I have tested the Dynaudio Audience 52 with my Marantz PM 15 and was not at all satisfied with the sound., but on the other hand i have heard the Audience 52 with a Tube amplifier and it was heaven.
You can take your amplifier to the showroom and test it with the Audience 52.
If you are really looking for a BS and you have Bryston 60SST in Mind , try Dali Ikon 2 , I have auditioned that setup and the end result is WOW :) , but due to the budget i have to settle for Ikon 2 with Marantz 15. You should also try the Epos and Spendor BS.

Vijay

Rajesh ,

Well The Dynaudio will produce a big sound when you increase the volume but if you want that speakers to SING you definitely need a High Current amplifier , no matter its a 30 watts Tube or a 100 watts SS.
I have tested the Dynaudio Audience 52 with my Marantz PM 15 and was not at all satisfied with the sound., but on the other hand i have heard the Audience 52 with a Tube amplifier and it was heaven.
You can take your amplifier to the showroom and test it with the Audience 52.
If you are really looking for a BS and you have Bryston 60SST in Mind , try Dali Ikon 2 , I have auditioned that setup and the end result is WOW :) , but due to the budget i have to settle for Ikon 2 with Marantz 15. You should also try the Epos and Spendor BS.

Vijay

Is B60sst not a high current amp?

Rajesh , Well The Dynaudio will produce a big sound when you increase the volume but if you want that speakers to SING you definitely need a High Current amplifier. Vijay

+1 to that - has to be able to supply (instantly) high surges of current during rapid transients - the dynaudio cones are not exactly featherweight!

if you have a ferrari enzo (gasp) you probably want P Zero tyres and not MRF extra-glide!:)

I'm running a pair of Audience 82's in a 250 sq ft room of a CA 540 Azure and it actually sounds pretty darn good. There were mixed opinions on the forum when I asked the same question but the CA is holding on fine at 100 x 2.

I do plan to upgrade though and will either add a power amp behind my CA or replace entire setup/

Am starting a thread on this matter

Rise ,

The CA may be able to drive the Dyn Audios , but these Dyns are worth more . They are such good speakers that if you match with the proper amplifier , they will do wonders.

Rajesh ,

....Contd.

Vijay

Hi,
1. How does one get to know from Tech specs of an amplifier, that it is a "High Current amplifier"?

2. Is there something like Ampere rating for amplifier that one should look in specs to find this out?

Regds,

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back